PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Sportster gauges

tasma13
09-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Have a 1999 Sportster gauges are not working, but everything else does..Nav lights, horn, etc. Dash lights work. Is there a fuse block/box? Any ideas why the gauges wouldn't work? Very frustrating...HELP!!!!!

JimN
09-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Have a 1999 Sportster gauges are not working, but everything else does..Nav lights, horn, etc. Dash lights work. Is there a fuse block/box? Any ideas why the gauges wouldn't work? Very frustrating...HELP!!!!!

And it still runs? Look at the back of the gauge cluster for where the purple wire attaches to the first in the line- they're daisy-chained.

Kevin 89MC
09-28-2009, 04:34 PM
My cousin has a '99 Sportstar and I think he had a similar problem recently. His problem was apparently a "control box" of sorts that ran the gauges, it had gone bad. He could drive his boat, but no speedos. Not sure of tach operation. Anyways, turned out he needed a new box, cost a fair amount of $ I think. MC dealer item only I believe. I think the dealer mentioned that these boxes can crack if water gets in there and it is allowed to freeze. He plans on pulling it every fall from now on, as we live where it gets very cold!
Good luck,
Kevin

russlars
09-28-2009, 04:54 PM
My cousin has a '99 Sportstar and I think he had a similar problem recently. His problem was apparently a "control box" of sorts that ran the gauges, it had gone bad. He could drive his boat, but no speedos. Not sure of tach operation. Anyways, turned out he needed a new box, cost a fair amount of $ I think. MC dealer item only I believe. I think the dealer mentioned that these boxes can crack if water gets in there and it is allowed to freeze. He plans on pulling it every fall from now on, as we live where it gets very cold!
Good luck,
Kevin
What you are referring to is the MDC control box. This is the brain that controls all of the guages. They are prone to cracking where the speedo tubes enter the box and I had to replace mine last year. You can only purchase them from MC and I think mine was around $225. Fortunately it is an easy repair yourself. It is held in place by 4 screws and is located in the kick panel under the dash. Just another FYI, I did not lose my engine hours when I changed out this box. This must be stored in a memory somewhere else.

JimN
09-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Good luck,
Kevin

They crack because people don't blow the water out of the speedo lines from the front to the back.

russlars
09-28-2009, 05:50 PM
They crack because people don't blow the water out of the speedo lines from the front to the back.
This may often be the case, however, mine was blown out prior to winterization, plus it is kept in a heated garage all winter (and no the power didn't go out). As a matter of fact, mine started leaking from the crack midway through last years boating season.:twocents:

thatsmrmastercraft
09-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Must have been going so fast that the pressure from the speedometer tubes caused the cracks.

russlars
09-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Must have been going so fast that the pressure from the speedometer tubes caused the cracks.
That explains it!:cool: