PDA

View Full Version : Shimmy

sgg
09-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I have an 04 Prostar 190 which I purchased in 08. There is a noticeable shimmy between 1200 and 1500 Rpm. I have had everything I can think of checked; engine alignment, drive shaft and propeller (new). All are good with the exception of a small outage in the drive shaft where the drive shaft meets the boat -- not the propeller end. One dealer suggested it was electrical and proceeded to mess that up, but that's a whole other thread. At any rate, I have been told that this is not unheard of so if there is anyone out there in TT land that has had a similar experience it would be great to pick your brain.

TMCNo1
09-22-2009, 07:41 PM
I have an 04 Prostar 190 which I purchased in 08. There is a noticeable shimmy between 1200 and 1500 Rpm. I have had everything I can think of checked; engine alignment, drive shaft and propeller (new). All are good with the exception of a small outage in the drive shaft where the drive shaft meets the boat -- not the propeller end. One dealer suggested it was electrical and proceeded to mess that up, but that's a whole other thread. At any rate, I have been told that this is not unheard of so if there is anyone out there in TT land that has had a similar experience it would be great to pick your brain.

That small outage in the drive shaft where the drive shaft meets the boat could very well be the cause and replacing the shaft is the only way to make sure.

sgg
09-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Yes, I suppose that is true. The problem is that the dealer is not prepared to stock the item in the event that it is not the problem.

TMCNo1
09-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Yes, I suppose that is true. The problem is that the dealer is not prepared to stock the item in the event that it is not the problem.

I would guess my next question would be, Which bothers you the most, your shimmy problem or your dealers willingness to stock parts or not? And, there's a 50% chance if it cures your problem, he won't have a stocking problem. Good Luck!

JimN
09-22-2009, 08:29 PM

Is this the same issue as your other thread? If not, maybe the two can be merged.

I would look at the spark plugs- if they removed all of the plug wires at one time, it's possible that two were reversed.

sgg
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
The shimmy has been there since day one. The surging is a new issue. That said, could the wrong spark plugs be the cause of the surging?

JimN
09-22-2009, 10:14 PM
The shimmy has been there since day one. The surging is a new issue. That said, could the wrong spark plugs be the cause of the surging?

You mean the plugs the dealer put in? If they put the wrong plugs in my boat (assuming they don't cross reference correctly), I would go back and get a refund, at the very least. The wrong plugs can damage the motor in some cases (like the reach being excessive). The plugs shouldn't cause surging. Is this actually a MasterCraft dealer?

sgg
09-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't know that they are the wrong plugs. I was just asking if that could possibly be the problem. Not being a mechanic, I am exploring all of the possibilties.

Yes, they are a Mastercraft dealer.

JimN
09-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't know that they are the wrong plugs. I was just asking if that could possibly be the problem. Not being a mechanic, I am exploring all of the possibilties.

Yes, they are a Mastercraft dealer.

Did you see the old plugs and compare them to the new ones?

sgg
09-23-2009, 08:49 PM
At this point I know they are a different brand. I will take a look on the weekend and compare.

This thread has morphed into the other I have started (surging 2004 MCX) and for good reason since the surging started when I had the boat in to investigate the shimmy, so I guess we can field the surging issue here as well. We canl continue on both threads. Are you saying the surging could be caused by the wrong plugs?