PDA

View Full Version : Starter question

kbob
09-22-2009, 05:41 PM
So about a month ago I started having problems with my boat starting. It clicks but doesn't do anything. Tried jump starting it, but that didn't help. So i tapped on the starter with a screw driver while someone cranked it and it fired right up. Had to do that every other time i started the boat. So I changed out the starter solenoid and took it out this weekend. Its doing the exact same thing. I checked all my cable connections and they are all tight. Any suggestions on what else might be wrong or what I could try?

wheeler
09-22-2009, 05:49 PM
The starter gear is required to be lubed with marine grease once a year. The solonoid may be fine, the gear may be sticking??? Just a thought....

kbob
09-22-2009, 06:00 PM
The gear probably does need to be lubed because I haven't done it since I bought it a few months ago. Would that prevent it from even trying to start, and just hear the solenoid clicking? The solenoid is what i'm tapping on to get it started.

CruisinGA
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Does tapping on the starter temporarily alleviate the problem this time as well?

kbob
09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes, even with a new starter solenoid, I still have to tap it to get it started.

wheeler
09-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Gear may be sticking. Remove starter, lube engaging gear, try it out....doesn't cost you no more than a dab of grease to find out...

kbob
09-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the help, I'm learning :)

thatsmrmastercraft
09-23-2009, 10:10 AM
A tight battery connection isn't always good connection. Disconnect and clean with a wire brush. Apply a little dielectric grease to keep the corrosion at bay, and reassemble. Anytime there is a electrical issue, the first thing to eliminate is the potential for poor battery connections.

ROB
09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
A slight clicking may indicate that your brushes are worn on your starter and might be time for a rebuild. When you tap the starter you might just be moving the brushes into a slightly different position to give you a start. Of course when dealing with anything electrical, check your batteries voltage, should be at least 12.5. Also, check the voltage at the connection of the battery cable and solenoid it should read battery voltage. Remove the safety lanyard at the kill switch and have some sort of flushing device to provide water so as to not damage your pump. Unless you have long cables on your multimeter with clips you will need two people. Check the voltage at the solenoid again but this time have someone turn the ignition to start. You should be getting a reading somewhere between 9.5 and 11.5 volts. If the volts are under 9.5 you may have a battery issue. If you are getting the proper volts, time to rebuild the starter.

kbob
10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Just thought i'd finish what I started with this thread. I took the starter apart and there was probably an inch of rust/dust/dirt packed into the bottom of it. All the bushings and everything were rusted and wouldn't hardly move inside and some areas on the coils were burned. Replaced the coils with some found at a used parts store for 10 bucks and replaced the bushings and bead blasted all the rust off the inside and repainted it. Also realized that I painted the surface that bolts up to the engine block so it wasn't grounding properly so I sanded the paint off lol. Took it out to the boat yesterday and it fired right up :) What a relief. Thanks for all the help.