PDA

View Full Version : Low Voltage=Dead Battery

Brandit
09-22-2009, 06:09 AM
Every time I have posted you guys have given me great answers, so here is another.
I took the boat out yesterday with a brand new battery. While driving I noticed the voltage going down thru the day. It started around 12 volts and the ended up at 8 and dieing. Is that most likely going to be my altanator? If so, does anyone know where to get one online. What size is it. Thanks guys!
Boat is a 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190 with a 351 Indmar.

TMCNo1
09-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Here, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA097006

JimN
09-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Every time I have posted you guys have given me great answers, so here is another.
I took the boat out yesterday with a brand new battery. While driving I noticed the voltage going down thru the day. It started around 12 volts and the ended up at 8 and dieing. Is that most likely going to be my altanator? If so, does anyone know where to get one online. What size is it. Thanks guys!
Boat is a 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190 with a 351 Indmar.

You may have a rebuilder near you and it should be faster and cheaper. Plus, you won't have to worry about whether it's the right model. If you want high capacity, they can beef it up to the maximum for that case size.

Put the battery on a charger and let it charge fully.

Brandit
09-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes, I just found out that their are two differet models out there. Ill have to see what I have. Who might rebuild altanators?

76S&S
09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Yes, I just found out that their are two differet models out there. Ill have to see what I have. Who might rebuild altanators?

Check your local yellow pages for "Alternators & Generators - Automotive"

helton333
09-22-2009, 11:58 AM
One thing - I found out the hard way. The mounting bolt that came with my new one - I like to have never got it threaded - your on your side, holding the alternator with one hand, trying to thread a screw and turn with the other - I got it started a couple times then it would slip off - just very frustrating.

Turns out, the screw it came with for my PS 190 wasn't long enough - USE THE FACTORY bolt and save some sweat (the one with the alternator is JUST LONG ENOUGH to make you think you are loosing your mind)

G-man
09-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Be sure they rebuild with the spark arrestor for marine use not automotive use.

Brandit
09-22-2009, 04:27 PM
52 amp lees nevel is what the mastercraft store told me I needed. $308 geez
TMC I like the website you gave me....you sure that one will work?

TMCNo1
09-22-2009, 04:39 PM
52 amp lees nevel is what the mastercraft store told me I needed. $308 geez
TMC I like the website you gave me....you sure that one will work?

Call them, http://www.skidim.com/contactus.asp, talk to Vince, Richard or Karen to verify first, just to be sure.

Brandit
09-22-2009, 05:49 PM
http://www.nations-starter.com/ I found this site, found what I needed for my 91 prostar for $139.00. So if anyone needs one, lookem up. Thanks for everyones imput.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Great site with killer prices. Shipping is reasonable too.

JimN
09-23-2009, 08:42 AM

For a rebuilder, ask a car service shop. They don't always use new parts- reman is usually just as good and a lot cheaper.

Brandit
09-23-2009, 11:10 PM
SInce my alternator drained my battery I put it on the charger and the battery is now full. I turned on the boat and the volt meter only read 10 volts. is that normal?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-23-2009, 11:41 PM
You should see about 12.5 volts without the engine running. With the engine running you should be close to 13.5 volts.

Brandit
09-24-2009, 12:17 AM
When I turn on the key for the accessories, the volt meter reads about 10 volts. I just ordered my new alternator so I cant turn it over yet to see if the vols go up. Since my battery charger shows that the battery is fully charged, do I have another issue at hand? I dont have a perfect pass or anything. There is just the stock stero with no amps or anything. Any thoughts? Is it possible that the battery just wont charge past a certain point?

JimN
09-24-2009, 08:13 AM
SInce my alternator drained my battery I put it on the charger and the battery is now full. I turned on the boat and the volt meter only read 10 volts. is that normal?

How long had it been on the charger? How long after disconnecting the charger did you check the voltage? How dead was the battery- 8 Volts (did you use a different meter to check this?)? Have the battery cable ends been replaced?

Make sure the ground at the back of the battery is clean and tight.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I assume you are reading the voltmeter in the dash. Check the batt voltage with a digital voltmeter. Buy on at the local parts store or Sears for $20, it is well worth it. You need to narrow down some of the possibilities.