PDA

View Full Version : L-18 Concerns!!!!

joshomatic
09-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Has anyone heard of problems with the L-18? I am looking at upgrading to a 2009 (possibly a 2010). I had a well respected dealer inform me that they don't order the L-18 in ANY of their boats. They said they have had problems with them. I have only heard this from one dealer though.

I presently have a MCX in my 2005 x-10. Love the engine, but I don't want to buy an underpowered boat. Any thoughts? I am not concerned with fuel consumption, etc. Thanks!

cbryan70
09-22-2009, 12:09 AM
talk to mymc on here he is a dealer on here. Where are you from in the midwest?

joshomatic
09-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Live in Nebraska. Close to the KS border.

rzafire
09-22-2009, 03:14 AM
I have an L-18 in my 07 X45. 120 hrs with no problems.

JohnE
09-22-2009, 08:59 AM
MYMC is a dealer and a big proponent of the L18. And he is very honest with his assessments. He'd be glad to offer you his opinion even though you aren't buying from him. I do think he is travelling this week though so you won't be able to reach him right away.

Search the site for L18 threads and you will find lots written about it.

What boat are you upgrading to?

If it is one of the bigger boats, I'd go with the L18 without a doubt. Period. End of story.

There have been a few threads in the past few days on this topic even.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Morningrun
09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
No problems with mine. 2002 Prostar 197. 400+ hours. I would buy another. If your're not crazy... fuel consumption is not bad. And they sound great!

joshomatic
09-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I am mainly into surfing. I rarely have WOT on the MCX x-10 I have now. I like torque, and I believe moderate to large fuel consumption is gonna happen in an x-45 with 18 people in it. 450 horse should provide enough push to crank big waves out.

I would like to get a 2009 x-45. A 2010 isn't out of the question. I have a great boat now, and I don't want to give it away. I'd rather take less and sell it to someone privately.

TallRedRider
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Utah Water Sports, which I believe is also a well respected dealer, has ordered a ton of L-18's and seems to love them. Of course, there are lakes near the dealership at 7,000 feet also. No problems yet with my new L-18 motor...only 50 hours or so on it.

There was some issue with previous years that caused premature failure. It was actually an exhaust problem than a true engine problem and that has been fixed. That is the story I got on why my boat's previous owner had an engine failure.

captain planet
09-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Go with the LY6 and enjoy not having problems or having to worry about problems. There is a reason they are not offering the L-18 anymore.

Sodar
09-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I have read a few articles stating that Mercruiser (largest marine engine manufacturer) is switching from the 8.1L (496 CI) to a 8.2L (502 CI) with Cat converters to meet the EPA requirements next year.

Wonder if Indmar will be following suit?

mpabreo
09-22-2009, 03:03 PM
I am mainly into surfing. I rarely have WOT on the MCX x-10 I have now. I like torque, and I believe moderate to large fuel consumption is gonna happen in an x-45 with 18 people in it. 450 horse should provide enough push to crank big waves out.

I would like to get a 2009 x-45. A 2010 isn't out of the question. I have a great boat now, and I don't want to give it away. I'd rather take less and sell it to someone privately.

I have a 2009 X-45, and prior to buying it in April this year, I had put a lot of research into the L-18 vs the LY6. I ended up going with the LY6 as the L-18 is being discontinued for 2010+ and the LY6 is a VERY proven engine. With that said, I've had 16 people in it and it has to work a bit to get up to speed. This weekend I added a couple more ballasts, and now am riding with 1700 lbs of ballast in addition to the stock ballasts. With 4 people, plus the rider, she struggles just a tad out of the hole. I have to wait like 4 seconds for the startup roller to develop if I want to hit it. I dont regret my decision, as Ive got 170 hours on the boat in 5 months and not one problem. She runs like a champ, and very smooth. The 45 is a big, heavy boat, I'd like a little more low end torque, but with the options/lack of, that I was presented with at my time of purchase, I'm happy with what I've got.

(Glad I didn't add the 2500# X-star fly high kit as she'd really be a dog out of the hole)

joshomatic
09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
In all reality, I don't have 17 friends! BUT I live in the middle of nowhere, and there isn't much to do (hardly any boat pressure all summer). The speed always stays low when I get a lot of people in the boat, so I can assume that surfing can be accomplished with both engines at 3000 or so RPM.

By the way, does anyone have pix of the surf behind their x-45? I'm dying to see some!

mpabreo
09-22-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm sure I've got some better than these, but here's a couple...

MCRambo1
09-22-2009, 03:55 PM
I presently have a MCX in my 2005 x-10. Love the engine, but I don't want to buy an underpowered boat. Any thoughts? I am not concerned with fuel consumption, etc. Thanks![/QUOTE]

The MCX is more than enough for all the boats other than 55 and 80. Do you weight the boat pretty heavily, if so I'd say you might want to upgrade to the LY6 (400hp) engine. My buddy has 8.1 in his X-Star and we have the MCX in ours. We run heavier than he does and there is not a noticable difference in the performance between the two, other than the fuel needle. That 8.1 drinks gas as if it were sponsored by OPEC.

corey
09-22-2009, 04:45 PM
My first choice would be the LY6, I didnt notice a radical difference in low end between that and the L-18. Not saying an L-18 wouldnt be nice but for the money I think the LY is where its at!

TallRedRider
09-22-2009, 05:38 PM
By the way, does anyone have pix of the surf behind their x-45? I'm dying to see some!

My first choice would be the LY6, I didnt notice a radical difference in low end between that and the L-18. Not saying an L-18 wouldnt be nice but for the money I think the LY is where its at!

Did anyone answer what the money difference is between an L-18 and the LY6? Forgive me if I did not see it.

Here is another pic. Surf wave can be legendary, IMHO.
My wife is 5'9"...5"10 on a good day for perspective.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/talltigeguy/Lake%20Powell%206-09/IMG00024.jpg

johkur
09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
One of the big reasons the L18 is being discontinued is because the GM motor it is based on is being discontinued. I think they also got an exclusion on emissions because it made no sense to develop a whole system to lower emissions on an engine that was going away.

The torque is great on the L18. I have a 2008 X45 with a 14.75x17.5 prop, and loaded with people and stock ballast, you still don't know there's a change in load. The only problem with power is that it yanks people out of the water if you're not expecting it, but that's not really a problem. The difference in rpm's with full 1000 pound ballast or not is only 200 rpm difference for the same speed, the engine doesn't notice load.

The downside, and I'm not sure it relates to the L18, is my engine came without any antifreeze in the overflow (its a saltwater series). We later found out that there appeared to be cracked exhaust manifolds both sides. They were replaced, it still leaked (had to keep adding about a gallon of antifreeze over time about every 20 hours), and then they replaced the gaskets and tried a different material to put them together, and so far so good. But this is more an exhaust issue than the engine, and I'm not clear that L18 has anything to do with that.

My boat also has straight-thru exhaust, no flaps or baffles, just a hole in the back of the boat and 2 separate silentmaster mufflers inside the boat. Having baffles on an L18 is bad, since it pushes out alot of air and the baffles fight the engine.

I did notice some rough idling on the L18 originally, and stalling on rapid 4000rpm to 0rpm deceleration, but they replaced the computer with a newer one (would be standard on 2009 L18), and its been really smooth and no stalls.

Its great having a boat that peforms with great and consistent power whether its empty or loaded, you just don't have to think about power the way you do with the other engines. And when you look at the torque curves, the LY6 is actually less power out of the hole (lower rpm's) than the MCX. I had one dealer swearing that the MCX was better for wakeboarding than the LY6, and I believe this was why, and when I saw the L18 had so much more torque than either the MCX or LY6 and wouldn't have to decide where on the powercurve I wanted torque, the L18 was for me.

93maristarky
09-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Check out this link for problems my buddy is having with his L18 2010 X55

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32282

Hrkdrivr
09-22-2009, 08:28 PM
We have an '06 X-45 with the L18 turning a 14.5 x 22 prop and no problems; only have about 100 hours on it.

TX.X-30 fan
09-22-2009, 08:48 PM
One of the big reasons the L18 is being discontinued is because the GM motor it is based on is being discontinued. I think they also got an exclusion on emissions because it made no sense to develop a whole system to lower emissions on an engine that was going away.

The torque is great on the L18. I have a 2008 X45 with a 14.75x17.5 prop, and loaded with people and stock ballast, you still don't know there's a change in load. The only problem with power is that it yanks people out of the water if you're not expecting it, but that's not really a problem. The difference in rpm's with full 1000 pound ballast or not is only 200 rpm difference for the same speed, the engine doesn't notice load.

The downside, and I'm not sure it relates to the L18, is my engine came without any antifreeze in the overflow (its a saltwater series). We later found out that there appeared to be cracked exhaust manifolds both sides. They were replaced, it still leaked (had to keep adding about a gallon of antifreeze over time about every 20 hours), and then they replaced the gaskets and tried a different material to put them together, and so far so good. But this is more an exhaust issue than the engine, and I'm not clear that L18 has anything to do with that.

My boat also has straight-thru exhaust, no flaps or baffles, just a hole in the back of the boat and 2 separate silentmaster mufflers inside the boat. Having baffles on an L18 is bad, since it pushes out alot of air and the baffles fight the engine.

I did notice some rough idling on the L18 originally, and stalling on rapid 4000rpm to 0rpm deceleration, but they replaced the computer with a newer one (would be standard on 2009 L18), and its been really smooth and no stalls.

Its great having a boat that peforms with great and consistent power whether its empty or loaded, you just don't have to think about power the way you do with the other engines. And when you look at the torque curves, the LY6 is actually less power out of the hole (lower rpm's) than the MCX. I had one dealer swearing that the MCX was better for wakeboarding than the LY6, and I believe this was why, and when I saw the L18 had so much more torque than either the MCX or LY6 and wouldn't have to decide where on the powercurve I wanted torque, the L18 was for me.

You are most definitely a glass is half full kinda guy.

Ole Miss Rebels
09-22-2009, 11:28 PM
L18 on an 08 xstar. had to have the ecm re-flashed but was never told why other than a lot of the engines were tearing themselves up. i believe it may have had to do with the iss ue regarding the exhaust back-pressure. also, i had to remove the tips with baffles and replace with straight-through tips and add the dual silent master mufflers. i have the 14.75 X 15.5 oj prop. talk about responsive. also, ,my boat used to die when going from high rpms to neutral too quickly but once i got it broken in i haven't had it do it but one time since then. i do not have the closed cooling and i have had some small leaks between the manifolds and the risers. they have replaced them for me twice. not sure why the leaks are going on as indmar said it is not a known issue. i absolutely love the engine and wold replace it with another if i bought again. it is an expensive add-on, however. i originally wanted an ly6 but at te time i was ordering the ly6 had an un-resolved overheating issue if it came with a heater. after owning and becoming accostomed to the L18 i have grown to fully appreciate it.

TX.X-30 fan
09-23-2009, 08:57 AM
L18 on an 08 xstar. had to have the ecm re-flashed but was never told why other than a lot of the engines were tearing themselves up. i believe it may have had to do with the iss ue regarding the exhaust back-pressure. also, i had to remove the tips with baffles and replace with straight-through tips and add the dual silent master mufflers. i have the 14.75 X 15.5 oj prop. talk about responsive. also, ,my boat used to die when going from high rpms to neutral too quickly but once i got it broken in i haven't had it do it but one time since then. i do not have the closed cooling and i have had some small leaks between the manifolds and the risers. they have replaced them for me twice. not sure why the leaks are going on as indmar said it is not a known issue. i absolutely love the engine and wold replace it with another if i bought again. it is an expensive add-on, however. i originally wanted an ly6 but at te time i was ordering the ly6 had an un-resolved overheating issue if it came with a heater. after owning and becoming accostomed to the L18 i have grown to fully appreciate it.

Way too many issues for my taste.

JohnE
09-23-2009, 09:10 AM
I have a 2009 X-45, and prior to buying it in April this year, I had put a lot of research into the L-18 vs the LY6. I ended up going with the LY6 as the L-18 is being discontinued for 2010+

Although that was the story at the time you were shopping they are still offering it. Something changed. I'm not sure how long it will be continued to be offered.

JohnE
09-23-2009, 10:28 AM
And when you look at the torque curves, the LY6 is actually less power out of the hole (lower rpm's) than the MCX. I had one dealer swearing that the MCX was better for wakeboarding than the LY6, and I believe this was why, and when I saw the L18 had so much more torque than either the MCX or LY6 and wouldn't have to decide where on the powercurve I wanted torque, the L18 was for me.

The LY6 definitely doesn't have as much out of the hole as the MCX. I hadn't driven one until fanfare last year and really noticed it. It was a 214V and I thought that it was due to the V drive, but the dealer explained that it was the LY6.

prostar205
09-24-2009, 04:48 PM
I have almost 400 hours on my 2002 X-30 with the L-18 engine. I love it and would buy one again. It does use about 2 quarts of oil every 50 hours but I just keep an eye on it and fill it when necessary.

TallRedRider
09-24-2009, 05:45 PM

I have a tiny leak as well. I would never know it, but theere is a little dried water trail on mine.

Those who say that there are no issues with the LY6 engine seem to be overstating themselves. I think there is no bulletproof engine out there.

Thrall
09-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I think there is no bulletproof engine out there.

Anything in a 5.7L Chevy version is about as close as you'll get. TBI, LT-1, LTR, RTP, MCX, etc.

Springer
09-28-2009, 05:09 AM
I have the L18 in my xstar and the boat is awesome.....would not change it for anything. Had an X5 with the 400. That motor works great in that hull. Could not imagine it in the xstar especially if you have the ballast full...and the fly high system. Get the right prop.....and the boat will work flawlessly. I have 160 hours on the engine....and like fine wine it gets better with time. Break in is essential...take your time....break it in and it will serve you well.

Has anyone heard of the Indmar Vette engine....7 litre or so with 500 plus hp?