PDA

View Full Version : Bow Ladder for X-Star Question

deminimis
09-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Howdy folks,

So some reason, my X-Star did not come with a bow ladder. I would certainly like one. I found this one on a website and it looks pretty close to the ones that came on the pickle fork boats. Since there isn't a MC dealer anywhere near me, could someone verify it this ladder at lease appears correct? It has four steps. I assume the MC ladders do as well, but I just don't know. Thanks!
http://www.theboatworkssuperstore.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/4Step.jpg

Jerseydave
09-21-2009, 08:48 PM
It looks correct.....I'll check mine for you tomorrow (nevr counted the steps, I think there are 4) Mounting looks the same as well.

deminimis
09-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Thank you very much!!

Ole Miss Rebels
09-21-2009, 10:39 PM
looks very similar. however, make sure that the ladder slides forward about 4-5 inches on the mounting hardware. it has to slide forward to get past the edge of the bow and rub-rail. then when you put it back into it's stored position it needs to slide back so that the door will close over it.

Ole Miss Rebels
09-21-2009, 10:58 PM
i don't believe the ladder on my 08 has that bar going across connecting the two sides. that ladder looks like it does not slide forward and backward due to that bar being in the way. that looks like a ladder that could be used on a pontoon boat.

deminimis
09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Humm. Looks like a little more searching may be in order. On your 09, do you have the two cutouts in the front of the lid to accomidate the ends of the ladder when its all closed up?

Ole Miss Rebels
09-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Humm. Looks like a little more searching may be in order. On your 09, do you have the two cutouts in the front of the lid to accomidate the ends of the ladder when its all closed up?

yes, my previous '05 xstar and my current '08 xstar had the same ladder and the lid had the two holes cut in it so you could leave the ladder down and close the lid while anchored. that is a good application to use but boy you have to be very careful not to assume the ladder is put up and then take off and damage the ladder and the gel-coat. always check to be sure the ladder is properly stored before you crank up. dont ever assume that the last person on the ladder stored it properly, check it yourself with your own eyes.

Ole Miss Rebels
09-21-2009, 11:24 PM

i dont think the holes are for the ends of the ladder to stick out when the ladder is stored and put away. the holes are there so you can close the lid when the ladder is being used. that's what i was talking about regarding teh ladder sliding forward (so it can stick out through the holes). that bar would keep it from sticking out through the holes i believe.

deminimis
09-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Well thank you again. I'll do some more looking about and see what I can find.

TMCNo1
09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Howdy folks,

So some reason, my X-Star did not come with a bow ladder. I would certainly like one. I found this one on a website and it looks pretty close to the ones that came on the pickle fork boats. Since there isn't a MC dealer anywhere near me, could someone verify it this ladder at lease appears correct? It has four steps. I assume the MC ladders do as well, but I just don't know. Thanks!

I accidentally found this picture, it may help, and I found a pic in the 40th Anniversary Coffee Table and Dust Collector Book that appears to have 4 steps.

endl
09-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I looked at at a 05 X-Star without a ladder and you can buy that type of ladder from Overtons and all the other Marine places. The hard part of the job is mocking up the fit and then cutting the holes in the front platform. You will need a good template or a really steady hand with a rotozip.

Actually the holes up front also provide the intake fresh air flow for the boat.

Jim@BAWS
09-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Howdy folks,

Please be advised the FRONT SWIM ladder is NOT a standard feature on an x-Star. Don't ask me why but it isn't. It has to be ordered. With that said. The front lid can be modified w/ a dremmel to accomodate the ladder. Takes a while but it can be done. Better that ordering a NEW lid also

Jim@BAWS

deminimis
09-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Great! Thanks for the picture TMC. Looks like a similar ladder (but for the cross piece) that is mounted to a slider of sorts. I'm going to figure this out yet. Thanks again as that pic really helps.

Also Thanks Jim and endl as well. Jim, how much would that bad boy cost (or is it even available)?

PS: My first post in this thread was accomplished via the use of a phone. I'm really not that much of a rube (spelling and auto complete issues). Seriously. Okay, I am a rube, but for other reasons.

Jerseydave
09-22-2009, 08:42 PM
looks very similar. however, make sure that the ladder slides forward about 4-5 inches on the mounting hardware. it has to slide forward to get past the edge of the bow and rub-rail. then when you put it back into it's stored position it needs to slide back so that the door will close over it.

Just looked at mine, no cross bar so Ole Miss Rebels is right in that I don't think that one will slide at all for storage. If you're going through with this project, best to buy the correct one from MC. Mine does have 4 steps and measures 10 1/4 inches across from the center of each tube. Extended length is 46".

FWIW, I've used my ladder like 3 times in 3 years. The lid does make a good place to stand when you have to.........well...........you know! :)

deminimis
09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
NJ, want to make sure your boat doesn't tack into the wind when you are doing that.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Springer
09-28-2009, 04:22 AM
Are you sure you want the two holes in the front of your star so going down the lake you have two new blank eyes looking out? Think before you order and cut.

Here is the front end with no holes.....clean.....neat. Do you really want people dragging there wet butts into the front of your boat?

Just a thought that is all...........