PDA

View Full Version : Strut alignment

jtrains
09-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Hello,

I'm new to Team Talk.

I have an 04 X-30 that I am currently replacing the engine, transmission, shaft and prop.

Can anyone tell me, looking from the back of the boat the following;

1. Is the strut supposed to be perfectly square or at 90 degrees to the bottom plane of the boat.

2. Should it look like it is cocked slightly to the left when looking from the back. The rudder is clearly to the right of center.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

TMCNo1
09-20-2009, 05:44 PM
The rudder is offset approx. 3/4" to 1" to the port side of the propshaft. I would think the engine is centered in the stringers and it is then aligned to the shaft coupler.

FrankSchwab
09-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Yes, the strut should be perpendicular. The ultimate test, however, is to check where it aims the propshaft. Split the coupler at the transmission (sounds like you may already have everything apart), disconnect and slide the packing assembly up the shaft, and make sure the propshaft goes through the shaft log without touching the sides and without bending. If it does that, you can be assured that everything is probably aligned well.

If it was cocked to one side or the other, it's very unlikely that the propshaft would go through the shaft log without bending. You don't want a bend in the shaft.

Read the attached; it may make things clearer. This has been floating around here for awhile (wish I could find out who wrote it so I could give them credit). I've used it to align my engine/strut, and found it very informational.

/frank

jtrains
09-20-2009, 05:50 PM
thanks for the reply.

What about the strut appearing to be slightly bent to the port side, ie. not exactly 90 degrees to the boat. Is that a possiblity.

thanks

FrankSchwab
09-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Number 1 -
Interesting. I just went out to check, and my rudder is definitely offset to Port of the propshaft. Perhaps a difference between DD and V-Drive?

/frank

FrankSchwab
09-20-2009, 05:54 PM
The strut shouldn't be bent to the port side, at least as I understand the geometry. Insert the propshaft and check it.

/frank

jtrains
09-20-2009, 06:12 PM
thanks for the info.

The strut def. looks like it is bent. not perfectly perpendicular however, the shaft slides right through the middle of the shaft log.

thanks again for the info

TMCNo1
09-20-2009, 07:12 PM
thanks for the reply.

What about the strut appearing to be slightly bent to the port side, ie. not exactly 90 degrees to the boat. Is that a possiblity.

thanks

If it's bent, it needs replacing and here's some places, http://www.elberts.com/underwatergear.htm and
http://www.ojprops.com/products/struts

TMCNo1
09-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Number 1 -
Interesting. I just went out to check, and my rudder is definitely offset to Port of the propshaft. Perhaps a difference between DD and V-Drive?

/frank

Sorry, my bad, the rudder was suppose to be to the port side of the shaft, I edited it, thanks.