PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on windshields?

Ken B.
09-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm new to the forum and I just bought my first MasterCraft a few months ago. I've wanted one for twenty yrs now and when the wife gave me the go ahead too try to find a used one for less than 6,000.00 I was all over it! I found this 1985 Stars and Stripes for 5,000.00. It was a one owner adult owned and well maintained boat. It has 850 hrs on its PCM 351. The motor purrs like a kitten and is real quiet. I've enjoyed three months of trouble free fun!
The one thing I'd like too change, and I know it won't be cheap is the windshield. Not that its in bad shape or anything but I'd much prefer a rounded windshield too give it that vintage look I crave. First, does anyone know if it can be done? If so, where can I get one? Thanks for any help, I've been searching all the past threads and there is a wealth of info here! Much appreciated, Ken

TMCNo1
09-20-2009, 09:43 AM
IIRC, and if it holds true by the pictures I've reviewed, the fiberglass deck is/was made with a squared raised surface to accept the squared of windshield. The older boats with the rounded plexiglass windshield had a deck surface that was more flat and had no or a less defined contour for its mounting as with yours.
Those plexiglass windshields are expensive to have reproduced and you would be very lucky to find a used one that is worth using. Also, the plexiglass is a PIA to keep clean and scratch free and are more prone to break/crack than the glass one you have.

Covi
09-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm new to the forum and I just bought my first MasterCraft a few months ago. I've wanted one for twenty yrs now and when the wife gave me the go ahead too try to find a used one for less than 6,000.00 I was all over it! I found this 1985 Stars and Stripes for 5,000.00. It was a one owner adult owned and well maintained boat. It has 850 hrs on its PCM 351. The motor purrs like a kitten and is real quiet. I've enjoyed three months of trouble free fun!
The one thing I'd like too change, and I know it won't be cheap is the windshield. Not that its in bad shape or anything but I'd much prefer a rounded windshield too give it that vintage look I crave. First, does anyone know if it can be done? If so, where can I get one? Thanks for any help, I've been searching all the past threads and there is a wealth of info here! Much appreciated, Ken

I'd gladly take the old one off your hands if you ever do switch it out. I would recommend not doing it however. In fact Not sure if the deck would except the round style

dmminfla
09-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Why would want an 85 look like something it isn't? I just sold my 86 Yesterday. I think the 82-86 windsheild looks better. But it's just my opinoin.

H20skeefreek
09-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Seriously, you already have a "vintage" '85. Why would you want it to look like something it's not? The older windshield won't fit anyway with the deck.

WilliM1940
09-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Was that the one on Craigs List in Harwinton for 5500? Sounds like a good buy. I bought one of these myself several years ago, very similar look, specifically the tires on the trailer. Mine were whitewall Goodyear Marathons and I think original to the trailer. I was lucky, used them around for four weeks or so and then happened to notice a huge split on the inside wall. I am lucky I did not lose the thing. Fiberglass fenders are not happy with blowouts. Save your money and buy tires if those are original.

WilliM1940
09-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Oh, and that jack in the front where the center piece raises so high is a PITA too. I have some damage from the previous owner who apparently kept hitting that thing with the gel coat. They don't make them like that any more for a reason.

mayo93prostar
09-21-2009, 07:46 AM
the square windshield on that model year is vintage since it is original. I agree with others that you should leave it as is, plus a rounded windshield will not align with the top deck. Enjoy it.

duckguy
09-21-2009, 08:38 AM
or you could sell it and purchase an older one..

endl
09-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Welcome and nice boat. Sounds like you got a good deal.

87MCProstar
09-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Ken, I think I know that boat. Are you in CT? I think you may have bought it off a buddy of mine.

Muttley
09-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Ya know, if it ain't broke...

I doubt you could make it work and why would you want to? Your boat looks awesome! I would think by the time you were finished you'd be well over $1000. You might as well sell that beauty and add the difference to a different boat. You'd be de-valuing that boat and it'll be a lot harder to sell if you ever decide to.

Ken B.
09-21-2009, 06:23 PM
I did buy this boat in Harwinton CT. It really is in great shape. I'm a custom hot rodder so I'm always making something that it originally wasn't meant to be, so I don't worry about that too much. Just a personal preference. Thanks for letting me know it won't work though. That will save me some time and a little coin. Heres a video of the boat in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxbjAa6jRZg&feature=channel_page

Thrall
09-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Sweet boat! Leave it as is.

Slinkyredfoot
09-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Ya know I always thought the rounded windshields of the earlier boats like my '79 looked better and fit the flow a bit better, but the squared off windshield that was built for the look of the year of your boat looks just as cool and good in my honest opinion.

Like Muttley stated earlier "if it ain't broke", I agree and leave it as is.

By the way very nice boat :D

thatsmrmastercraft
09-21-2009, 07:03 PM
While I was actively searching for a windshield for my '77,I came across a company that will make a rounded style windshield for about $2500 delivered. Should you choose you want it that bad, they could probably make one to fit your boat. Let me know if you want me to find the manufacturer info.