PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump won't initiate

likeglass
09-19-2009, 08:23 PM
well, I incorrectly assumed that my fuel pump died again - so I replaced it today. The symptoms were the same as the last time the pump went, with the key 1/4 turned I dont hear the fuel pump kick on. Engine wont start since it's not getting fuel. It ran fine yesterday, wouldnt start today. Is there a fuse or some other things I can check? It's something probably stupid. I was even thinking after I got home this evening that I forgot to check the lanyard (boy wont that be funny if that's the problem!?!) On the bright side, at least I dont have a Carter fuel pump in there anymore! I installed the Airtex E2044 today. Any suggestions would be helpful-thanks.

vision
09-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I bet it is the kill switch.

vision
09-19-2009, 09:57 PM
That reminds me to ask, why not have an idiot light that tells you when you try to start the boat that your kill switch is open or that the boat is not in neutral. Such an indicator would have saved me a few choice swear words in the past.

chico
09-20-2009, 08:12 AM
You can check the system relay and fuel pump relays,turn the key on and do a wiggle test on both relays.

likeglass
09-21-2009, 08:58 PM
she's running. The kill switch was fine, so I starting checking the fuel relays as well as bleeding the fuel system. Unfortunately I dont know which exactly solved the problem but it's running & running well. Thanks all for your suggestions-kim:)

Thrall
09-22-2009, 10:36 AM
If the kill switch is fine, most likely a short in the wiring to the fuel pump relay or relay to the pump, or a relay is bad.