PDA

View Full Version : Minimum depth you will boat in

Finnsdad
09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
What is the minimum depth (total under the lowest point of the hull) you feel safe boating in. What do you think the minimum depth for skiing is?

88 PS190
09-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Largely depends on boat.

There are places where I go across on plane in approx 2.5-4 feet of water, where i know there are no rocks, stumps, etc.

Maximum draft of the boat is listed on mfg website add to that for ballast, people, fuel, and that the back of the boat will drop coming up out of the water.

I slalom regularly including deep water starts in 4 feet. Which is also about my minimum. Our boat could do shallower, but its hard to get up when you have to think about dragging your fin, and it only takes one unknown rock to trash your prop. I have also skied in areas where the boat would be in 4 feet or so and when you fell towards shore you'd be in about 2 feet + lots of mud and have to swim back to deeper water. Its not alot of fun, but there are places where it happens.

MC X-15
09-18-2009, 04:26 PM
The area we mainly boat in is an average of 5-6 ft. No stumps or things like that. But there are many coves and places i go to the my depth finder reads 1-2ft. one place im sure is about 1 ft and have yet to hit the bottom. I did run over a crab trab that was about 2 ft tall in about 3 ft of water. that sucked. But to answer your question i feel pretty comfotable boating in 2+ feet of water, but like i said there are no stumps or rocks in my area, mostly sandy bottom

G-man
09-18-2009, 04:31 PM
5-6 on the lakes we ski

Sodar
09-18-2009, 04:37 PM
The minimum ski depth is 4'

Minimum depth... well, because of where I boat, I have to go over some areas in the 2' range while on plane. It makes your butt pucker every time!

Jim@BAWS
09-18-2009, 04:56 PM
The minimum ski depth is 4'

Minimum depth... well, because of where I boat, I have to go over some areas in the 2' range while on plane. It makes your butt pucker every time!

Your such a "BUTT PUCKER"

Not my BUTT YOUR BUTT HA HA HA

Jim@BAWS
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
What is the minimum depth (total under the lowest point of the hull) you feel safe boating in. What do you think the minimum depth for skiing is?

What is the least you would dive into from 6 feet???

No way unless 6-7 feet or more for me

Jim@BAWS

tlcrichardson
09-18-2009, 05:52 PM
If it is under 2 feet I walk it to deeper water. I feel good in 6-100 of water.

trickskier
09-18-2009, 05:53 PM
2.5 inches.............8p

TMCNo1
09-18-2009, 06:21 PM
2.5 inches.............8p

Were talking water depth, not organ length!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

TX.X-30 fan
09-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Square in the nads Trick.

icedog-10
09-18-2009, 07:33 PM
We will pass over spots that are knee deep and start in places where the fin of my ski is touching bottom. Thats why I have an old boat.

A300Capt
09-18-2009, 08:22 PM
where i launch is a narrow channel and one day coming in i met another big cruiser coming out and moved over and it read 1 ft. and i was puckering and hit nothing.... mud bottom i guess....i dont like it when it gets leass them 6-8ft.

CantRepeat
09-18-2009, 08:51 PM
I'll go 3 feet at idle but look for about 4.5 while motoring.

TOO-TALL
09-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I have seen 2.8 feet on the depth gauge in one area of our river.I don't want to get any closer then that.

TMCNo1
09-18-2009, 09:05 PM
The shallowest we've ever been at idle, is through the canals on the Polk County Chain of Lakes (Cypress Gardens) in Winterhaven , FL at 1' and 2' and while at speed, Lake Wiley going up river to the Riverview Inn Seafood at 2', but that was OK with me, with 8 boats in front of me and 6 or 8 behind, I was walking in their tracks. They would have hit bottom before me! And, some of those depths was during the part of the trip in the dark. Lynn had to sew up the holes in my shorts afterwards!

CantRepeat
09-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I'll go 3 feet at idle but look for about 4.5 while motoring.

I guess I should add that while going less we grounded out on a sandbar one time. Bent prop, prop shaft, strut, rudder, and rudder housing. Just about $1400 bucks last summer getting the gear back in place and $99 bucks for a new depth finder from ski dim.

I'll never chance it again. :mad:

JohnE
09-19-2009, 12:52 AM
The shallowest we've ever been at idle, is through the canals on the Polk County Chain of Lakes (Cypress Gardens) in Winterhaven , FL at 1' and 2' and while at speed, Lake Wiley going up river to the Riverview Inn Seafood at 2', but that was OK with me, with 8 boats in front of me and 6 or 8 behind, I was walking in their tracks. They would have hit bottom before me! And, some of those depths was during the part of the trip in the dark. Lynn had to sew up the holes in my shorts afterwards!

I CALL BS!!!!! Y'all left the first year with a stick prodding the bottom to check depth. After a half dozen tequila shots we passed your arse at WOT! I was following the LED's at 40mph + with my heart in my throat.

TMCNo1
09-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I CALL BS!!!!! Y'all left the first year with a stick prodding the bottom to check depth. After a half dozen tequila shots we passed your arse at WOT! I was following the LED's at 40mph + with my heart in my throat.

Right, you just don't know what a big breath I took when we hit open water!
The first year, Monte and Leah rode back with us and Leah was looking over the windshield going down river, Monte was dosing off in the back seat and Lynn was watching him to be sure he didn't fall out the boat. I couldn't see from all the dew in the windshield glass and I couldn't keep it wiped off, the damn defroster had quit working!

Harry Reynolds
09-22-2009, 11:34 PM
2 questions for the pros:
How far in the water do you think the prop is when you are on plane?
When the depth finder reads 2.5', is that from the bottom of the hull or is it calculated from the bottom of the prop?

I ask both of these because the lake we boat on (Lake Norman is NC) goes from 1.5' in some spots up to 125' in others. It is also a controlled lake and the water level is all over the place. Sometimes high, next time 3' low.

Hoosier Bob
09-22-2009, 11:47 PM
If you regulary ski in water deeper than 3 feet how the heck do you walk back to the boat?:confused:

TMCNo1
09-22-2009, 11:59 PM
When the depth finder reads 2.5', is that from the bottom of the hull or is it calculated from the bottom of the prop?

I ask both of these because the lake we boat on (Lake Norman is NC) goes from 1.5' in some spots up to 125' in others. It is also a controlled lake and the water level is all over the place. Sometimes high, next time 3' low.

If a depth gauge reads 2.5', that is from the face of the transducer to the bottom, not from the lowest part of the boat to the bottom.

88 PS190
09-23-2009, 12:04 AM

Best bet is to actually figure out how much water your boat needs. Atleast roughly, you can static measure how far under your hull the prop runs, then on plane how far under does the back corner of your hull go?

I know when we use the I/O we have to stay in water that's way deeper, particularly when you accelerate the boat from a stop the stern drive drops deep into the water, I wouldn't consider going onto plane in less than 6 feet of water with our I/O, just because its first action is to try to dig a trench.

trickskier
09-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Were talking water depth, not organ length!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

Speak for yourself..................I always hit bottom................:D

Rockman
09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
6 feet or more for us with the outboard, especially when pulling up long lines or wakeboarders...more draft on the outboard.

captain planet
09-23-2009, 05:06 PM
I stay in more than 4 feet as much as I can on our lake. This summer I was going backwards footin and fell and hit the bottom of the lake.......I didn't hit very hare, but I didn't like that very much.

daverbeck
09-23-2009, 10:30 PM
There are areas where we ski that are only knee deep - say about 3 feet or a little less.

Great for jump skiing :-)