PDA

View Full Version : Winch Strap

meg
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
My strap has a pretty good tear in it right below the hook and I was wondering do I need to buy a new strap or could it that be cut and re-sewen if so where could I get that done? How difficult is it to put a new strap on?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
09-18-2009, 11:56 AM
My strap has a pretty good tear in it right below the hook and I was wondering do I need to buy a new strap or could it that be cut and re-sewen if so where could I get that done? How difficult is it to put a new strap on?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

New strap.

woftam
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
new strap
very easy

Miss Rita
09-18-2009, 12:01 PM
If the strap isn't too beat up, it can be re-sewn. When I fixed mine I cut off the portion that was weathered, and had a shop sew the hook back on for $2.

If you want a new one, Wally World sells 'em for $10, hook included.

Sodar
09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
I just re-sew mine every year. The top layer of the strap gets worn from the sun. My canvas guy does it for free. Literally takes him 1 minute to sew it up. Cheaper than a new $20 stap, but for some might be more difficult to go through than just buying a new strap.

TMCNo1
09-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Might I suggest, take it to a upholstery shop, cut off the bad, but have them double up the strap for about 3' from the hook in. That way the 3' will wrap around the spool a couple times when you take out the slack and tighten it up and if it would wear any, it will be years before your ever have to address the issue again. I did it 20 years ago when I installed a polished s/s snap hook and I'm still using the strap today and it's never even started to tear or wear.:twocents:

Dawg
09-18-2009, 02:09 PM
I also cut about 18-20 inches off my strap and got into some good material. Cut the hook out and took it to my local upholsterer to re-sew. $5.00 Good as new.