PDA

View Full Version : Making the boat louder

Brandit
09-17-2009, 02:33 AM
I have a 91 prostar that I just bought and it is pretty quiet. Is there a way to make it louder?

Jesus_Freak
09-17-2009, 04:49 AM
I have a 91 prostar that I just bought and it is pretty quiet. Is there a way to make it louder?

Welcome to our newest member!

Are you talking about the exhaust or the stereo?:D Out of curiosity, what is it you are looking for? Are you just wanting volume, or is there a certain sound you seek?

Dave2302
09-17-2009, 07:39 AM

The quieter it is the better. The more you draw attention to your activities on the water, the more ammo you give to "the complainers" who have such sad little lives that they will try and get your activities banned.

Don't get me wrong I love a deep V8 rumble and a loud stereo, but sadly these days its better to be inconspicuous in whatever activities, whether it be waterskiing, dirtbike riding, quad bikes drag racing etc etc. ;)

hkallestad
09-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Remove your mufflers;-) Run straight pipes

JimN
09-17-2009, 08:10 AM
The quieter it is the better. The more you draw attention to your activities on the water, the more ammo you give to "the complainers" who have such sad little lives that they will try and get your activities banned.

Don't get me wrong I love a deep V8 rumble and a loud stereo, but sadly these days its better to be inconspicuous in whatever activities, whether it be waterskiing, dirtbike riding, quad bikes drag racing etc etc. ;)

A loud stereo or the rumble of a motor is great if someone is directly involved with it but it's pretty annoying to the other people who aren't. Someone may be trying to sleep, relax, eat dinner, or whatever but there's no reason for someone with a loud boat to be a PITA. That said, if someone buys lake property, they should expect people to ski and use other watercraft and not complain unless they're skiing before/after the cutoff times. That's no different from buying a house near an airport and complaining about the noise.

Personally, all of the examples you gave would annoy the he!! out of me if they went on all day, every day and I like being around boats and drag racing. Do you like little Hondas and other Japanese cars that sound like a mosquito?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Welcome to TT Bandit. You may find when you ask a controversial question here that sometimes the question gets lost in the heated discussion.

To answer your question, if you really want to make your boat louder you have two options. Either straight pipes as hkallestad suggested, or to replace your existing mufflers with some aftermarket mufflers which are typically a little louder than stock. Be prepared, however, to re-jet and tune your carb as well as your timing curve to account for changes in backpressure resulting from the different exhaust. This will all be trial and error adjusting as there haven't been many people on the board who have even discussed going this route. Unless you are really good with Holley tuning and capable of doing your own distributor work, you will be opening a big can of worms and the end result will most likely be a loud boat that runs like crap. I'm sure you don't want to trade the ability to mash the throttle and have the boat come instantly to life for a loud boat that hesitates and coughs.

With that said, you may want to give more thought to leaving the exhaust as is.

Good luck and post some pics. Everyone here likes to see them!

hester
09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Remove your mufflers;-) Run straight pipes

When I bought my 91 190 with the 351HO it had straight pipes and sounded pretty good inside the boat and as a bystander. Don't know why but it was not as loud and obnoxious as some boats with straights. Here is a pic of the setup (while the floor was out repairing the blower hose).

Kevin@MWMC
09-17-2009, 01:10 PM
The previous owner of my X-2 decided to go with straight pipes, DON'T DO IT! Just last week I ordered a set of mufflers to put on my boat.

Yeah it does sound nice for about a day or two. Sweet V8 rumble. But after that it gets pretty annoying. Anything above 10mph you can't carry on a conversation in the boat. When you are behind the boat you can't hear anything, and I mean anything. I have wetsounds tower speakers and you can hardly hear them when I have the stereo cranked all the way up. When we are surfing, you have to yell at the top of your lungs to get the surfer to hear you.

It also is not a good thing to do if you are on a public lake. We have a bunch of friends on our lake, and when people start asking them if they are the ones with the loud, obnoxious boat, and they say he!! no, not us. But we know who they are, You know the boat is too loud.

Not to mention that it could be against the law depending on what state you are in.

Brandit
09-17-2009, 05:26 PM
To answer some questions, I wanted the engine louder not the stero. Thanks for the advice. Just wanted a little louder than what it is. It has that silent muffler deal, didnt know if they made a muffler kinda like a flow master for boats that would sound good. I sont want to mess with the carb, so it sounds like it's better to just leave it alone. Thanks again for the help.

JimN
09-17-2009, 05:40 PM
To answer some questions, I wanted the engine louder not the stero. Thanks for the advice. Just wanted a little louder than what it is. It has that silent muffler deal, didnt know if they made a muffler kinda like a flow master for boats that would sound good. I sont want to mess with the carb, so it sounds like it's better to just leave it alone. Thanks again for the help.

Flowmaster and others like them are made for performance first and sound second. I'm sure most car people would love to be able to use a muffler with as little back-pressure as what's in a boat. That being the case, maybe you could look at the exhaust system and try something different at the outlet.

DooSPX
09-18-2009, 07:32 PM
your 91 has the big trash can like crossflow muffler. I replaced it with two 3" ultra mufflers from overtons, and it sounds great but is not load. a little louder than dead quiet like before. its SOOO much more quite than my friends BU.

etduc
09-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Try these, will put you half way, from what you got and open. 3" inlet.

Brandit
09-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Where did you get those and will I have to mess with the carb?

hkallestad
09-21-2009, 03:39 AM
If the carb has to be messed with, are we talking air/fuel mixture and idle speed, or more advanced tuning??? What if we could choose between muffler or straight pipes by a swith of a button, that would be cool;-)

etduc
09-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Where did you get those and will I have to mess with the carb?

These came off my '94 205. They are in excellent condition. I was trying to make my boat much quieter, than stock, using another brand/length muffler.

The cross-over style is actually, pretty good. ( I had a 1990 Tristar, with that muffler. That boat would run 45 mph+, had slightly treaked standard heads, Ford motorsports intake,
Holley carb. And was stealthy quiet!)

I doubt, you would see any noticeable performance increase, going to twin mufflers. IN most cases, straight pipes on a stock engine, will DECREASE performance. (Even with carb adjustments)

NOTE: I do NOT support loud boats, motorcyles, etc. (That includes STEREOS.) It is simply rude.

(Sorry for short rant, and capitalized letters.)

454Prostar190
09-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I have no mufflers on my S and S. and this is how it was when I got it. Sounds great from the driver's seat but, when cruising, any conversation with anyone in the back seat is a no go because all you can hear back there is the pipes. The other thing that happens is that the rumble from the exhaust noise, at times, resonates through the hull and you can feel the vibration. I have thought about installing mufflers to make it quieter. Just my little side story:) Rick

thatsmrmastercraft
09-21-2009, 02:34 PM
If the carb has to be messed with, are we talking air/fuel mixture and idle speed, or more advanced tuning??? What if we could choose between muffler or straight pipes by a swith of a button, that would be cool;-)

Don't know how or why you would want to set up exhaust cut-outs in your boat, but if you decrease the back pressure of the exhaust, you will need to increase the jet size. Once you have the jet size correct, you can play with idle mixture, accelerator pump volume and stroke, and secondary opening stage. Then you can start working on advance weights and springs in the distributor. And if you do that all correct, you will regain the acceleration and performance you started with, and have a loud boat. If you don't get the tuning right, you will have a loud boat that hesitates, stalls and backfires (and don't forget that when it backfires through the carb it will likely blow the power valve) .

I am also not impressed by loud exhaust. But if you want to do it, realize that there is a a lot of tuning involved.

Dave2302
09-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Do you like little Hondas and other Japanese cars that sound like a mosquito?

No Jim definitely dont like mosquitos lol......Twin 502's with straight thru transoms lol. Mind you my old bike ( Kawasaki ZX12R) had Race can and de-cat and sounded awesome at 12000 rpm :D

Regards Dave