PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit folding platform brackets...205V!

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Santa...OK, XPC Sealman (Tim Creighton) and OJ Props sent out the first ever (?) set of folding swim platform brackets for the Prostar 205V! Tim and I have been working on the project for some time. Coordinating and exchanging info while a couple hundred miles apart is never the ideal situation, so Tim is to be commended for pulling this off.

I couldn't resist temporarily slapping one on to see how it's going to function. I'll do a more detailed documentation of installation when I put them on for real. Also, they will be anodized once everything is confirmed, but that will probably be after season's end.

Ignore what might look like an unlevel bracket in the extended, installed picture. All the bolts are not tightened down yet, so it's not sitting flush.

'04 205V...

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-17-2009, 10:38 PM
I thought I'd just mess around with the platform brackets tonight and I ended up getting everything together.

Steps (as I remember them):
1) Remove the platform
2) Remove the platform from the 'old' brackets
Save the mounting screws. You will need them later
3) Remove the 'old' platform mounting plates from the transom
There are 5 bolts. 2 longer than the other 3. You will only re-use 4 (2 long and 2 short).
4) Clean up the transom where the mounting plates were
5) Put some sealant on the bolt threads and a couple dabs on the new spacer plate
6) Secure the spacer plate and mounting bracket to the transom with the bolts
I used the 2 longer bolts on top and 2 shorter bolts on the bottom

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-17-2009, 10:45 PM
continuing...

7) Put the platform on top of the mounting brackets
8) Find 2 objects of the same width and use as spacers b/w the platform and the hull on each side
I would recommend NOT mounting less than 1/2" (in my case) from the hull in the location I used as mounting too close can cause interference to the transom when folding down
9) Center the platform by measuring each side to the brackets
10) Recheck spacing (platform to transom)

TMCNo1
09-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Neat application and it looks like they turned out right.
Yea, Tim and Eric are great people to work with it shows their dedication to the watersports industry and boat owners everywhere!

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-17-2009, 10:51 PM
continuing...

11) Using a marker, mark 1 or 2 platform mounting screw locations per bracket
12) Remove platform and pre-drill marked locations
13) Mount platform and put screws in pre-drilled holes
14) Put a couple screws in per side and check platform to transom spacing thru-out entire range of motion.
15) Pre-drill remaining holes and screw platform to bracket

That's about it! At the end of the season I will remove everything and send it back to OJ for annodizing.

It probably took me less than 2hrs to do the entire job and it only takes very basic tools to do (obviously).

In the folded down position, the platform sticks out about 8" from center of transom. Utimately, this saves you about 14" from when the platform is up. There's no more play in the setup than what my old assembly had and this makes putting your tie down straps on so much easier!

I'm sure I missed some stuff, so let me know if you have questions.

brucemac
09-18-2009, 12:19 AM
those look sweet. nice work guys! i have a few questions. the first one may be a dumb one, but when you say anodized, will they be black anodized?

i'm debating if these would be a good fit for me. our garage is pretty tight at like 24ft. i'd actually be giving up 8in if i install those but i'd probably still have plenty of room to walk behind and not having to monkey with platform everytime would sure be nice. :)

is there ANY play in the platform up and down when locked up like there is with the stock brackets? a little being a good thing, right?

lastly, how hard is it to remove entire assembly/platform?

TMCNo1
09-18-2009, 12:36 AM
those look sweet. nice work guys! i have a few questions. the first one may be a dumb one, but when you say anodized, will they be black anodized?

i'm debating if these would be a good fit for me. our garage is pretty tight at like 24ft. i'd actually be giving up 8in if i install those but i'd probably still have plenty of room to walk behind and not having to monkey with platform everytime would sure be nice. :)

is there ANY play in the platform up and down when locked up like there is with the stock brackets? a little being a good thing, right?

lastly, how hard is it to remove entire assembly/platform?

As far as the color of the anodizing, just contact XPC Sealman, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=5668 and ask, I know there may be several options.

The play in the brackets is minimal and to a degree, can be tightened if they are loose or get loose by the two bolts in the brackets, but that may be a question to ask him about too.

Once the base plates are installed and everything is sealed and tightened down removing them unless for replacement due to damage, would be defeating the purpose, but the fold down parts of the assembly along with the platform can be removed by just removing the two bolts going through each C bracket that they slide in, but most likely the four nyloc nuts would need to be replaced too, as they will then be ruined, defeating their locking feature.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks TMCNo1. I concur!

prostar205
09-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Nicely done P-hat.

I only wish I had a garage big enough to fit the X-30 into then I might need those brackets.

Also, garage looks like it is well used - lots of stuff in there.

Sodar
09-18-2009, 05:11 PM
So did you need to drill any new holes or did these just mount using the existing? I am just comparing your install to Diesel's and yours looks much less labor intensive!

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Nicely done P-hat.

Also, garage looks like it is well used - lots of stuff in there.

It's an absolute mess right now :o, but that side is about 80% watersports stuff. The garage, in general, was specifically built to meet the boat's requirements, but somehow your 'stuff' pile keeps growing and has invaded the boat space. I think a purge is coming!

BTW...my garage allows me to keep the platform on and upright, but I was itching to do another project. Plus I couldn't get my tie-downs on without lifting the platform up and it had a nice 'bind' to it that usually meant 2 people. So...I killed 2 birds with 1 stone and maybe others will see some benefit too!

So did you need to drill any new holes or did these just mount using the existing? I am just comparing your install to Diesel's and yours looks much less labor intensive!

Nothing new needed! Just used 4 of the existing 5 holes. It really was quite easy. You just need to take your time, think it out, and spend some time on the aligning of the platform on the brackets. We purposely missed the existing holes in the platform to get new, good 'bite' by the screws.

TMCNo1
09-18-2009, 06:02 PM
It's an absolute mess right now :o, but that side is about 80% watersports stuff. The garage, in general, was specifically built to meet the boat's requirements, but somehow your 'stuff' pile keeps growing and has invaded the boat space. I think a purge is coming!

BTW...my garage allows me to keep the platform on and upright, but I was itching to do another project. Plus I couldn't get my tie-downs on without lifting the platform up and it had a nice 'bind' to it that usually meant 2 people. So...I killed 2 birds with 1 stone and maybe others will see some benefit too!

Nothing new needed! Just used 4 of the existing 5 holes. It really was quite easy. You just need to take your time, think it out, and spend some time on the aligning of the platform on the brackets. We purposely missed the existing holes in the platform to get new, good 'bite' by the screws.

I also had to drill new platform holes, but the new brackets covered up the old ones and nobody will ever see them.

Sodar
09-18-2009, 06:14 PM
I also had to drill new platform holes, but the new brackets covered up the old ones and nobody will ever see them.

But you still know they are there! :mad:

Wish I could do the retrofit without busting out the drill. :o

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-18-2009, 11:41 PM

Just so we are clear...what we are drilling is the starter holes from the platform bracket into the swim platform. We (or at least, I) are not drilling into the transom.

I've removed my swim platform from the brackets a few different times. Too many times and you start to lose a tight connection, so this isn't a bad thing when doing this project.

All of my old screw holes are also covered by the bracket arm.

TMCNo1
09-19-2009, 07:54 AM

Your right, I know they are there, but had already forgot they were there till this thread started, now Lynn's having to take me to get professional help from Dr.Phil!:rolleyes:

I thought yours had the fold down brackets?

Sodar
09-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Your right, I know they are there, but had already forgot they were there till this thread started, now Lynn's having to take me to get professional help from Dr.Phil!:rolleyes:

I thought yours had the fold down brackets?

Let me know how therapy goes. Mine starts next week.

I was about 3 months too early for the new brackets. '07 built in April.... :mad:

TMCNo1
09-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Let me know how therapy goes. Mine starts next week.

I was about 3 months too early for the new brackets. '07 built in April.... :mad:

Contact Eric or XPC Sealman @ OJ Props, cause bet it would be a real simple procedure if nothing more than a adapter plate if that.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-23-2009, 09:56 PM
I'll get my first use of the platform brackets this weekend (we'll be at Norris). I'll report back.

XPC Sealman
09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
P-hat-in Cincy..... just to confirm, you are the FIRST with a Folding set on your 205V!!!! MC to get the 2nd set.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-25-2009, 11:22 PM
P-hat-in Cincy..... just to confirm, you are the FIRST with a Folding set on your 205V!!!! MC to get the 2nd set.

So MC is deciding to put these on some (all?) new X1's?

I got to put them to actual use today. They are awesome. I didn't 'need' these but have found they make putting the tie-downs on a breeze AND no more having to reach so far over the platform to cinch the cover down (while on the trailer).

:cool:

TMCNo1
09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
So MC is deciding to put these on some (all?) new X1's?

I got to put them to actual use today. They are awesome. I didn't 'need' these but have found they make putting the tie-downs on a breeze AND no more having to reach so far over the platform to cinch the cover down (while on the trailer).

:cool:

Agreed, they do work great, no rattling or movement. I've got ours adjusted with the bolts, so it's up and down with a slight bit of effort, but secure with no movement while up and in the water. Sure does make it easy to drop it when you get home to be able to clean and wax the area formally inaccessible behind the platform on the transom that has water, gunk and choke smoke on it. A good spray down with window cleaner and a wipe down on the brackets gets any of the same gunk off of them too.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Agreed, they do work great, no rattling or movement. I've got ours adjusted with the bolts, so it's up and down with a slight bit of effort, but secure with no movement while up and in the water. Sure does make it easy to drop it when you get home to be able to clean and wax the area formally inaccessible behind the platform on the transom that has water, gunk and choke smoke on it. A good spray down with window cleaner and a wipe down on the brackets gets any of the same gunk off of them too.

Agreed...it makes the parking lot wipe-down all that much easier!

Although we had 3" of rain Saturday @ Norris Lake, we got to use the boat Friday night and this morning. The platform brackets were rock solid. I couldn't be happier. They continue to reveal their benefits.

XPC Sealman
09-28-2009, 05:11 PM
MasterCraft has not tested them yet. We will be moving in that direction very soon.

XPC Sealman
01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
The mount into the existing holes.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey all,

I had my platform brackets anodized by a local shop in Cincinnati, so I thought I'd throw out some updated pictures.

Although I don't need to fold the platform to fit in my garage, they help during wipe-down and make it significantly easier to attach my tie-downs. It's been a fun project!

I hope your weather is moving towards allowing you out on the water. Friends are already on the water in Columbus and I got out last Sunday on Norris for a quick set. Being kinda bummed about the snowboard season being over, the run lifted my spirits and got me pumped for the upcoming wakeboard season!

Take care,
Paul

mallees
07-23-2012, 11:28 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but, are these fold down brackets available still? I left Erik from OJ a msg a year ago and he informed me that they were not available for my 04 X2. Do Mastercraft sell them as a spare part?

Cobra Rob
07-24-2012, 01:02 AM
I emailed OJ on some brackets for an 07 X45 and same thing they are not making them anymore... :mad:

mallees
07-24-2012, 09:16 PM
I wonder why? I would love to gain an extra 2 1/2 feet behind my boat, but I'm too lazy to remove the platform everyday. Do new boats come out with them standard?