PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Jeep Wrangler leaking

magnum
09-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I recently have been noticing when it rains it leaks really bad. I just replaced the seal under the hardtop and that seams to fix the leaking in the back, but I am still having a problem with the water leaking into the front floor boards. after a hard rain I will go out to my jeep and there is alot of water in the floor board and the carpet is soaked. I have check while it rains that it is coming from under the dash or at least I think it is.. Does anyone have any idea how I stop the leaking?????

cbryan70
09-16-2009, 06:08 PM
is it coming in from the windshield hinge?

H20BOY
09-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I had a 97 that would leak around the rear window hinge and run to the front floorboard.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I think you have the auto rinse interior package, designed for Wranglers. Not rare by any means, they almost all come with that feature.

Me, I'd blame the door weatherstrip. Is it both sides?

88 PS190
09-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Sit in the car and have someone spray different areas with the hose.

jkski
09-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Take a look at the hood vent and the weather stripping around the windshield as we had issues with both leaking. We have a 93 Wrangler and if yu were to fold down the windshield you would see 2 large cutouts, as if they were there to run wiring from the body up thru the windshield frame. The cutouts are way too big and do did not have any type of seal around them which allowed water to pour. I resolved the issue by sealing the holes and have not had an issue since.

Good luck. We just bought an 09 Unlimited and so far no issues!

dummy
09-17-2009, 08:48 AM
That's a very common problem in nearly all '97 TJs and is caused by the cowl vent design. There was no diverter and water would pool mostly on the passenger-side, but the driver-side could get it as well. Starting in '98, Chrysler redesigned the cowl vent and it was much better.

Check your cowl vent tube for leaves/debris and clean it out if there's anything in there. That could cause rain or wash water to back up and into the vehicle. That'd be my first guess.

Second guess would be to verify the plastic deflector that goes over the cold air intake under the cowl is actually there. If not, hit the Jeep dealership and ask for one for an '01. They're like $40. You can pop off the cowl to install.

Finally, if you've got A/C, make sure your drain hose isn't plugged and/or backing into the cabin. If the cowl vent stuff above doesn't fix it, you can add a hose/put an extension on the A/C drain.

These are all pretty common problems/fixes.

G-man
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner I think Dummy got it right.