PDA

View Full Version : returned home to lots of issues!

Wake2wake
09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
After being gone from home for a few weeks I came home to a nightmare with the boat. I have a few questions.
First, I have a large stress crack on the tower. Appears the previous owner had one welded over in the same spot before, but the welding that was done looks terrible.
The second picture is of a much smaller stress crack directly over an old weld that again appears to have been made by a previous owner. In this picture you can also see a piece of diamond plate that appears to have been welded to the tower as a brace. As far as the weld on that brace goes, it looks to me like it was welded uphill and splattered everywhere. It really isn't pretty so while I'm having the cracks repaired i am wondering if anyone knows if there is anything that can be done to this, or if the solution would be that it has to be re welded.
The third picture is of some gel coat damage that no one in my family will take responsibility for. It looks to me to be fairly major, as it runs 2 1/2 to 3 foot along the bottom edge of the boat.
The forth picture is of some more gel coat damage on the back corner of the boat. I,m curious how much it would cost to repair these two areas of damage, and if anyone has any ideas, what could have caused it.
The final picture of an unknown object wired to the hull side of the rear storage locker by the engine. Just curious what this is. Almost looks to be a light, but the bulb or whatever it is looks more like a fuse, but is soldered in, and as such is not removable. the white cover that goes over it is cracked and falling apart.
Thank you for any help that any of you knowledgeable gentleman and ladies can give me.

TOO-TALL
09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Wow..this is your boat?
Do let your neihbor's use your boat?Did your family member take the boat out while your were gone?
I don't understand.If this was my boat I'd be so pissed!!
Anyway I think the last pic with the wires is for a light(or what is left) of the light in the storage compartment.I had my light apart this year and thats just what it looked like on the inside.
The gelcoat repair might be in the ballpark of 500-800 bucks.
Were the tower cracks and the peice od Diamond plateing there before?Was it added on while you were gone..
I'm stll amazed all this stuff happend while you were gone and nobody is stepping up.

Wake2wake
09-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Wow..this is your boat?
Do let your neihbor's use your boat?Did your family member take the boat out while your were gone?
Anyway I think the last pic with the wires is for a light(or what is left) of the light in the storage compartment.I had my light apart this year and thats just what it looked like on the inside.
The gelcoat repair might be in the ballpark of 500-800 bucks.
Were the tower cracks and the peice od Diamond plateing there before?Was it added on while you were gone..
I'm stll amazed all this stuff happend while you were gone and nobody is stepping up.

I was gone for the last month, and the family used it. it stays on the lift all the time so It could have been any of them. And yes I was really pissed when i saw it, Still am but I've still got to fix it. Ill figure out who later.
as far as the tower cracks go I don't remember seeing them before I left but I also dont inspect the tower so they could have been there and just gotten worse. The diamond plate was welded on by a previous owner and both places where the stress cracks are appear to have been welded before by the previous owner.
And thank you very much for your help on the light (been looking to replace with LED's for a while anyway so that works out well, and thanks for the help on the gelcoat cost. Is there any reason why i couldn't continue to use the boat with this gelcoat damage for the rest of the season and then get it fixed in the off season?
Again, thank you so much for your help!

cbryan70
09-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Should get it repaired asap....fiberglass is exposed

coz
09-13-2009, 06:05 PM
that no one in my family will take responsibility for

Just how many people use the boat? you can't narrow it down and nail the culprit? That's just flat out f-dup......I be on the war path trying to find out who did it and make them pay....then tell them to f-off for lying and never let anyone use the boat again. Hope you get it figured out and it isn't to much out of pocket.

Aren't these towers aluminum? that looks like a regular blow torch weld

thatsmrmastercraft
09-13-2009, 07:00 PM
You could always do a quick gel-coat repair yourself, then get it fixed properly after the season is over. No need to bother with color matching or making it look pretty.....just get it patched up.

Good luck.

Slinkyredfoot
09-13-2009, 07:08 PM
I be on the war path trying to find out who did it and make them pay....then tell them to f-off for lying and never let anyone use the boat again. Hope you get it figured out and it isn't to much out of pocket.

I would be pi$$ed too. Accidents do happen but I am happy I took advanced courses in "anger management" a few years ago ;)

ProStar200
09-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I would be pretty pi$$ed after being away for a couple of weeks and coming home to that. Hopefully someone fesses up. I wouldn't be leaving my keys behind for anyone until someone steps up and admits it and helps pay for the damages. Good luck.

jeverett
09-14-2009, 12:59 AM
I'd worry more about the Tower than the gelcoat. Based on the location of the gelcoat damage you are not going to take on water, there is a lot of E-glass and resin behind that gel coat. That is an easy fix and color shouldn't be to hard either because you can get the code from your dealer based on the VIN # and by the gelcoat from spectrumcolor to match.

The tower ont he otherhand may be a problem, those joints look weak.

bxroads
09-14-2009, 08:02 AM

you can't narrow it down and nail the culprit? That's just flat out f-dup......I be on the war path

I would be pretty pi$$ed after being away for a couple of weeks and coming home to that.

If a cracked tower and easily repairable gelcoat damage were my only problem I'd thank the good Lord for my blessings and move on......

JohnE
09-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Hmmm, you'd think by the responses that the op asked if he should be mad, pissed, or on the war path....:confused: All he wants to know is how to deal with his problems.

I don't know how much the gel coat will cost. Nor how to deal with the tower. I'd think finding a good welder to grind out the bad welds and poor diamond plate reinforcement and weld properly is what I'd do. And find a good glass guy for the gel work. I'd bet that you'll be looking at $1500 - $2000. But the tower issues may have always been there. I actually wonder whether some of the gel issues were there and just got noticed after a good once over.

TMCNo1
09-14-2009, 09:15 AM
In those immortal words,
why? it's just a boat

bigmac
09-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Hmmm, you'd think by the responses that the op asked if he should be mad, pissed, or on the war path....:confused: All he wants to know is how to deal with his problems.

I was just composing that same response. Family policies and expectations differ and we don't know wake2wake's.

If it were me, I'd suck it up, get the hull fixed by a good gelcoat guy and find an expert aluminum welder and figure out a way to salvage the tower. I'd smile through gritted teeth as I wrote the checks, smile through gritted teeth at the next family gathering and never mention it again.

But I sure as hell would take the keys with me next time I left town.

TMCNo1
09-14-2009, 09:31 AM
I was just composing that same response. Family policies and expectations differ and we don't know wake2wake's.

If it were me, I'd suck it up, get the hull fixed by a good gelcoat guy and find an expert aluminum welder and figure out a way to salvage the tower. I'd smile through gritted teeth as I wrote the checks, smile through gritted teeth at the next family gathering and never mention it again.

My sentiments exactly, but then again, I'm under the influence of Dulcolax in preparation for a Colonoscopy tomorrow and my minds not working correctly.

Jerseydave
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Insurance might cover the gelcoat damage. Not sure about the tower, unless the tower hit something overhead (boat house??)

jraben8
09-14-2009, 10:18 AM

Accidents do happen but for the mistakes not to be acknowledged would not be tolerated... It will come out how it happened... But, with family politics and the way they are played from family to family I'd do as Bigmac suggested.

Wake2wake
09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah, thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure eventually I will figure out who did it, but my first priority is getting the boat fixed and usable before it gets too cold to use the boat. I'm taking the boat out of the water this week and taking it to a welder that I have heard excellent things about one town over and a friends dad has been doing fiberglass work his entire life so I'm sure he will be able to help me out.
I'm sure the cracks in the tower could have been there before and just with use have gotten worse.
Again thank you for all of the help and responses from everyone.

bxroads
09-14-2009, 12:04 PM
FWIW, if I leave my boat with someone else I expect what happened to yours and if it doesn't I feel lucky. Its a boat, its for having fun, don't forget it.

TMCNo1
09-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Something tells me we'll be seeing the issue tried on a future episode of Judge Judy or Judge Joe Brown!:rolleyes:

Rockman
09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Step#1-Don't let anyone else use your boat. Situations like this won't happen...no matter how nice of a person you are to help someone, you always get f@%ked.

Step #2-Take pictures and leave them on the refrigerator for everyone to see for a few months...someone will eventually fess up.

Step #3-See Step #1.

That sucks that this happened to your boat...especially with family members. We had a similar situation with our BF200...to this day I have not gotten it fixed (gelcoat) and it serves as a thorn in my side and answers the question when family members ask "Can I use the boat when I am up at the cottage?" When the person steps up and gets it fixed for me, I may be happier but no-one uses our boat.

Hope you get everything worked out quickly and painlessly.

woftam
09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Get the fiberglass/gelcoat issues fixed first. That's kind of like the foundation for your house in the boating world. Nothing good, and potentially much bad, will come from using your boat with unprotected fiberglass being exposed to water pressure. Assuming the glass fiber is sound, you can seal it with a home kit or have it done right by a pro - assuming from your post that you are not set up to do a pro job on the glass/gel yourself (few are).

And yes, a good welder is in order. Grind out the failed welds, remove diamond plate, evaluate, and reweld with better reinforcements as necessary. (tube junctions should match closely. carefully grind to shape [with minimum loss of material] for the strongest possible weld)

bigmac
09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
I recall Sizzler had some problems with cracking of his tower. I think that may have been contributed to by a tower-mounted boom, but IIRC the repair entailed a stenting tube inside the boom and welded over that.

jwmiller
09-14-2009, 02:11 PM
On my 1989 Prostar I had some hull chips like that. I had them fixed and then the next year I got a few more. I am a lot more careful now but I think that after a number of years some of that can happen fairly easily, as the resin may become a bit brittle. They may have done it and not even known that they had.

etduc
09-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Tower - I'd question the integrity, of the complete tower. Previous owner, obviously had problems with it, and made it worse. Get a cost of a new tower, maybe an exact replacement is available,before repairs. Those tubes have been over heated, and possibly wrong alloy wire used. (That includes the original welds!)