PDA

View Full Version : Cooling issues- HELP!!!!

DooSPX
09-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Okay, took the boat out today. it starts to over heat very quickly if your idling, but as soon as you give it some gas it goes back down to 140-145 where it always has ran.
Im thinking the thermostat, as it is orginial. the stat is 142 degree. is this the one that we need?
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R026002E

some history, had to replace the impeller last year due to the old one shredded. since then we have had a slight squeel from the housing that goes away as soon as you bring it past idle.

bigmac
09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Why don't you think you have another impeller failure? IMHO, impeller failures are far more common than thermostat failures. My guess is that you've either shredded another impeller or have a weed blockage.

justinglow
09-13-2009, 01:55 PM
You could also have a piece of the old impeller causing a blockage somewhere. Happened to me this summer. Pulled the thermostat housing and found a piece of it wedged in there.

DooSPX
09-13-2009, 01:59 PM
okay, well... I pulled the impeller and its perfectly fine. pulled the stat, its locked up. stuck closed in the hot water. im ordering a new one. I banged on the old one for a while now it opens and closes perfectly. so the stat was stuck, that was more than likely the idle temp problem. but that squeeling at idle from the RWP is still annoying. and again, I pulled the impeller and its perfect. as it should be, the boat sat for over a year after replacing it, this is the first it was used since the swap.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
When you had the pump apart to replace the impeller, did you check the bearings to make sure that isn't the source of your noise?

DooSPX
09-13-2009, 06:38 PM
When you had the pump apart to replace the impeller, did you check the bearings to make sure that isn't the source of your noise?

How do you check the bearings in the housing?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Standard bearing inspection. Give it a spin and look for any noticeable wobble, any sense of drag from spinning freely, or any noise. Any of these is enough to cause a problem and is cause to replace the bearing. With that said, my bearing is showing some some wobble but has worked just fine this year. I will be rebuilding the pump this winter before there is a problem.

Aside from that, are you sure you got the correct impeller for your pump. You said that the slight squeel has been there since you replaced it, so I would look twice at what you did in the impeller replacement process as being the cause of the noise. Just my 2 cents.

chico
09-13-2009, 09:37 PM
If it`s a 350 TBI use a 160 deg. stat.

DooSPX
09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Standard bearing inspection. Give it a spin and look for any noticeable wobble, any sense of drag from spinning freely, or any noise. Any of these is enough to cause a problem and is cause to replace the bearing. With that said, my bearing is showing some some wobble but has worked just fine this year. I will be rebuilding the pump this winter before there is a problem.

Aside from that, are you sure you got the correct impeller for your pump. You said that the slight squeel has been there since you replaced it, so I would look twice at what you did in the impeller replacement process as being the cause of the noise. Just my 2 cents.

wow, thank you for the info. I will look at that. what is the process for rebuilding the raw water pump. I see skidim sells the replacement rear seal/bearing. is that what I need?

88 PS190
09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Probably, I always call Skidim when I need stuff, they know what exactly it fits, eliminates miscommunication.

803-345-0996

hkallestad
09-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Have you checked the oil cooler, could be something there thats clogging, making the impeller run dry at lower rpm. Doesn't sound like a bearing if it goes away at higher rpms, when my bearings whent it got worse the longer I ran the engine. Pretty easy job to do a makeover on the pump if you have a workshop press.

DooSPX
09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
thanks.
one thing I forgot to add. I have a valve before the tranny cooler with a hose quick disconnect. (been on there for many many years) with plenty of water coming from the exhaust outlets.
still have a squeal at idle but it NEVER got hot running on the hose even for 5 or 10 minutes. My best guess is force of the water from the hose is similar to when the engine is got some rpms behind it.

I tested my T-Stat and it was indeed stuck, so thats one problem.