PDA

View Full Version : blew out a exhaust hose

brianaw26
06-06-2005, 06:32 PM
We were on the lake for about 3 hours. Everything was great. Then when I was wakeboarding the engine shut off. I let go of the rope and had to swim back to the boat.

I thought there was a fire, the people in the boat all jumped up real quick. When I got back we popped the cover open and started it up and saw exhaust pour out of a 3 inch gash in the silicone exhaust hose. We talked about it, and how the heck we were going to get back in.
People are going to think were stupid, which we probably were but we popped the cover open and idled about a mile before anyone asked us if we needed a tow. So we got home safe and I went to bed (I was exhausted).

When we were idling, if we pushed the throttle anything past idle, it would die. Was that because there was no backpressure or would something else cause that. People asked me if the engine overheated. I have no idea since I was on the wakeboard behind the boat. But all 3 hours before and the idle afterward was cool.

Any ideas or could this just be an old hose that broke and made the engine run like crap

ski_king
06-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I only saw a hose go once, and it was because the impeller failed and water wasnt being pumped thru the hose with the exhust.

Did the hose smell burnt?
When you were ideling, was water coming out thru the slit?

No clue why it was running like crap, maybe it did overheat?
If it did, you would have known by the heat coming off the block.

brianaw26
06-06-2005, 10:59 PM
well the burn on my knee from the manifold means it was pretty hot lol..... :)

NeilM
06-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Based on your description, I'd say the water pump failed and the exhaust hose failed because it got too hot.

Unfortunately, you may be in for a very large repair bill...

JimN
06-06-2005, 11:34 PM
If you burned your leg on the manifold, there wasn't much, if any, water going through the motor. The hoses are rubber, not silicone and usually have a wire going through in a spiral for maintaining its shape when it bends. Smell the oil(both motor and trasmission) and if they smell burnt, change both kinds. The motor may survive, even after a bad overheat. Squeeze the other exhaust hose and if it feels really soft and flexible, you'll need to replace that one, too. Once it gets soft, it's not nearly as strong as it should be. Check the impeller- it probably lost most of its fins. You'll want to replace the gasket at the same time. Remove the hose coming from the hull to the oil cooler- it may have a bunch of debris in it and this would definitely cause an overheat. If the fins are gone from the impeller, you're going to need to remove the thermostat housing and remove them, since the hole in the housing is about the size of a pencil and they usually won't pass through.

Bongo
06-07-2005, 12:29 AM
I agree with Jim and Neil. Sounds like something earlier failed, likely the impeller, and caused the engine to overheat which caused your visible problem.

#1: Check and change the impeller. (If this obviously isn't the problem, and even if it is, check the intake hoses, transmission cooler for "gunk", open petcocks on the block, etc.)
#2: Change both exhaust hoses.
#3: Change your engine oil and filter.
#4: Cross your fingers, say a brief prayer and bow in the direction of Windsor, ON, Canada.
#5: Launch and start your boat. How does it run at idle? At medium throttle once warmed up?

If all is good at #5, I'd change the engine oil again after a few hours on the engine.

Just my $0.02.

Maybe engine_nut will weigh in with his opinion and advice...which certainly trumps mine.

Bongo

brianaw26
06-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the replies. Ill look at the impeller tomorrow.

brianaw26
06-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Ok. the impellor is no more. A marina 10 min away has one and they also have the exhaust hose. Actually cheaper then skidim + no shipping.

I took off every hose that I could trace to water and I see no bits of rubber at all. Should i replace eveything and use a hose under the boat? fakelake to see if the water flow is as it should be? or should I take it to the lake and watch the temp gauge? is there a realworld differnce?

Brian

rem_pss308
06-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Ok. the impellor is no more. A marina 10 min away has one and they also have the exhaust hose. Actually cheaper then skidim + no shipping.

I took off every hose that I could trace to water and I see no bits of rubber at all. Should i replace eveything and use a hose under the boat? fakelake to see if the water flow is as it should be? or should I take it to the lake and watch the temp gauge? is there a realworld differnce?

Brian

Did you remove the thermostat and look there for parts of the impeller?

Did you check the transmission cooler for obstructions? You will have to shine flashlight, or feel with finger.

Mine got some leaves in it, and at idle it was fine, but when I accelerated it would run hotter.

The fake a lake would be a start. I would take it to the water and test it to make sure it operates correctly.

east tx skier
06-07-2005, 02:08 PM
One thing I remember JimN telling me once was, with your boat on the trailer, lift up the exhaust flaps on the back and shine a flash light up the pipe. You're looking for blistering and hoping you don't see any if I recall correctly.

When we lost an impeller in my father-in-law's boat, we used a garden hose and started pulling hoses one-by-one and back flushing them never into the t-stat housing, water pump, or otherwise though. At one point or another, we found most of the impeller. No further problems. Temp was fine after that.

JEREMY79
06-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Sounds like what happended to my boat. Our impeller bit the dust engine got a little warm :rolleyes: After I pulled the engine for "necesary" repairs I noticed a hole in on of the exhaust hoses. Sounds like the same thing.

brianaw26
06-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Ok. I pulled off the thermo housing and found 3 fins that were lodged in the hole that goes the circulation pump. But that was it. I pulled off the transmission cooler, both exhaust risers, and every other hose that has water in it and that is all I found. Where else could they be or could they just pass through. I stopped working on it and will continue tomorrow because the Texas heat was making my body do weird things. I need to take a cold shower now....

one thing that bothers me is that we idled for about 30 min. the engine was obviously overheated. I hope we didnít damage anything. I feel like an idiot too. I was focusing on the exhaust when I should have been looking at the gauges. O well, you live and you learn.

brianaw26
06-08-2005, 05:44 PM
I cant find anymore pieces. I guess they made it through. The oil draining now and everything is back together. I might go tht the lake tonight so i dont have to deal with a busy ramp and idle around the cove. Hopefully i didnt screw anything up to bad. If so Ill do the fastest engine rebuild ever.

Pray for me......

Leroy
06-08-2005, 06:18 PM
You could run it off a garden hose to check it out at home if you wanted to.

Good luck either way!

brianaw26
06-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Ok. Got the engine running. No strange sounds, almost no smoke out of the exhaust. One problem. When my friend was putting the riser back on, he broke off an arm to the choke on the TB. It fit on a square peg and opened the main flap (donít know what its called) on the carb.

Now the engine wonít idle unless I hold the flap open. If I close the flap it sounds like its staving for air, then it dies. I shut the engine off opened the carb to full throttle and looked at the jets. They looked fine. But then the flap stayed partially open and wouldnít shut all the way. It idled at 1800 then after that.

Can I change the carb to an electric choke? Or do I need to just replace the whole choke assembly?

RedStar
06-10-2005, 04:58 PM
go with a new impeller every year. Much less expensive.

brianaw26
06-27-2005, 10:41 PM
EVERYTHING IS OK.... whew. It runs a little warm 180-190 when I'm cruising at 30+ but once I slow down it cools right off to about 155-160. I read that these temps seem ok, Ideas? Iím going to replace the t-stat this week. Hopefully that is the problem. There is absolute no impeller debris in the engine.

Crash
06-28-2005, 01:07 AM
My exhaust hose also came off, I believe it was due to constant wave jarring (1st year when I hadddd to take her out, now only in nice water).

erkoehler
06-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Glad you got it all fixed and are back on the water....