PDA

View Full Version : sticky throttle cable?

3event
09-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Before the season started, dealer replaced broken drivers side console, which involved disassembling the whole gear/throttle assy. This is a 2002 PS197 with Predator/RTP - is therefore not DBW.

This summer I have noticed a bit of perfect pass hunting on occasion when skiing. Also find that the boat occasionally and randomly idles too high but settles down after a cycle or two of running at speed and then slowing down again.

Might the throttle cable need lubrication? How much labor might I be stuck with? There is little chance I will be playing around with it based on available time, boat will be in for winterization anyway.

Comments welcome, and appreciated.......

88 PS190
09-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Before the season started, dealer replaced broken drivers side console, which involved disassembling the whole gear/throttle assy. This is a 2002 PS197 with Predator/RTP - is therefore not DBW.

This summer I have noticed a bit of perfect pass hunting on occasion when skiing. Also find that the boat occasionally and randomly idles too high but settles down after a cycle or two of running at speed and then slowing down again.

Might the throttle cable need lubrication? How much labor might I be stuck with? There is little chance I will be playing around with it based on available time, boat will be in for winterization anyway.

Comments welcome, and appreciated.......

Well you could test the high idle by opening the cover while its doing it and seeing if the throttle linkage is all the way returned or not. I would consider disconnecting the cable at the motor and see if it moves smoothly or not.

If the cable isn't teflon lined you may be able to oil it with the same tool as is used to oil motorcycle clutch cables. But i'd test for sticking first.