View Full Version : Bonnaroo...

bcampbe7
06-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Any TMC members going to Bonnaroo?

http://www.bonnaroo.com/2005/

east tx skier
06-06-2005, 05:41 PM
I'd love to see Charlie Murphy!

Actually, caught Toots and the Maytals at ACL Festival last year. Very entertaining.

LakePirate
06-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Don't take your soap :eek:

tex
06-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I can close my eyes and almost smell this concert...oh, wait, that's college I'm smelling!

bcampbe7
06-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah, it's a pretty big Hippy festival.

LakePirate
06-07-2005, 10:32 AM
The traffic is fun as well.

I love these new age hippies
rocking their patagonia jackets, rolling in the land cruiser, eating grilled cheese
just good salt of the earth folks.

Did you guys see the south park where Cartman was fighting the hippies. Made me think of bonaroo instantly.

Sorry for the threadjack.

east tx skier
06-07-2005, 10:51 AM
That South Park was great! Laughed my fool head off.

Having been to more than my share of these so-called "hippy" concerts, I feel somewhat qualified to shed some light on the fact that most of the attendees are anything but what you might visualize when someone says hippy.

While there are plenty of "puppy pullers" and people resembling Chewbacca, most of the people are in their 20s and 30s (and older) who are taking a break from the mundane to drink some beer and listen to some music. These are the people wearing the patagonia and sitting on the gates of their Land Cruisers. They shower, they have jobs, and they contribute to society much like most of us. They are not spending the summer driving around in their VW from show to show, whilst holding a finger up in the air in hopes of a miracle. Not that there aren't people like this at all these events any more than there are a good number of rednecks at the "Lynard Skynard 2005 This is the Last Time, We Promise" farewell tour. In many years of going to these shows, I did not witness one fight. The people I encountered were extremely nice. I especially liked the people who cooked up brats for my buddy and I in Wisconsin in 2003.

Until last year, some buddies and I used to pick a weekend each year and go catch some shows. The only rule was they had to be near a city to which none of us had ever traveled in the last ten years. So much fun.

Oh, and I challenge someone to make a better grilled cheese for $1 than some of those dirty "lot hippies." ;)

bfinley
06-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Well put Eastie!!

east tx skier
06-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks. Doesn't hurt that one of my closest friends wrote his RTF masters thesis on the minutia of phish fan culture (not that I've read it).

bcampbe7
06-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes, I agree, I used "hippy" in a very stereotypical way. I apologize for that.
I live just a few miles from the venue. All in all the people that come to the area for Bonnaroo are very nice and do not cause much trouble. I will say though, that for me, the best thing to do when Bonnaroo is in town is to leave town. :D

That South Park was great! Laughed my fool head off.

Having been to more than my share of these so-called "hippy" concerts, I feel somewhat qualified to shed some light on the fact that most of the attendees are anything but what you might visualize when someone says hippy.

While there are plenty of "puppy pullers" and people resembling Chewbacca, most of the people are in their 20s and 30s (and older) who are taking a break from the mundane to drink some beer and listen to some music. These are the people wearing the patagonia and sitting on the gates of their Land Cruisers. They shower, they have jobs, and they contribute to society much like most of us. They are not spending the summer driving around in their VW from show to show, whilst holding a finger up in the air in hopes of a miracle. Not that there aren't people like this at all these events any more than there are a good number of rednecks at the "Lynard Skynard 2005 This is the Last Time, We Promise" farewell tour. In many years of going to these shows, I did not witness one fight. The people I encountered were extremely nice. I especially liked the people who cooked up brats for my buddy and I in Wisconsin in 2003.

Until last year, some buddies and I used to pick a weekend each year and go catch some shows. The only rule was they had to be near a city to which none of us had ever traveled in the last ten years. So much fun.

Oh, and I challenge someone to make a better grilled cheese for $1 than some of those dirty "lot hippies." ;)

LakePirate
06-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Eastie - while I am not knocking any of the attendees, I do live down here in Widespread land and have been to their shows. I was in no way implying that all concert goers are dregs of society. However, I have seen the kids (high school and college age) who are going from show to show to the mountains to the show who I was making reference to. You see them at the gas station and they are all making hemp necklaces in the back seat of a saab. I just find it amusing. I was in no way knocking the majority of the attendees who are there looking for a little R & R, God knows we all need it.

Hippies hate nothing more than Death Metal. That might be one of the funniest South Park's I have seen in a while.

east tx skier
06-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Don't worry, you're not offending me (note my use of "dirty lot hippy"). I'd leave town, too, unless there was a band I wanted to see (or if I could make some cash letting them park in my driveway).

As for leaving town, I equate it to people who live in New Orleans. They're out of there in mid to late February. Having been to Mardi Gras once (that was plenty), I can't say that I blame them.