PDA

View Full Version : obrien mastercraft?

tony35off
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
i just bought a1984 mastercraft but instead of mastercraft on the side it has obrien skis . It appers as though it was ordered from the factory this way. I would like to refinish the sides and was wondering if it would lessen the value if I would replace the obrien skis with the factory mastercraft lettering .

Ryan
09-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Can you post some pictures?

88 PS190
09-09-2009, 11:33 PM
1984 was the year Mastercraft was bought by coleman company (yes the same as the camping gear)

Now I know I have an older O'Brien ski that says Coleman, and I'm not sure as to how early O'Brien skis was a Coleman company nor the timespan of that ownership.

BUT. If it overlapped there is a chance those would have been factory graphics for advertising purposes or a tournament boat.

And perhaps the mastercraft company would have some information on it? I know there are some older guys around these companies who were definately involved in the industry.

As for value if it is original factory I wouldn't peel them off. It makes it unique.

I would consider having a different mastercraft logo added elsewhere on the side, but I'd leave the obrien if original.

Hoosier Bob
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Weren't the LaPoint ski's of old, Radius, Pulse and the other asymmetrical MasterCraft Ski's by LaPoint manufactured by O'Brien? The first were O'Brien's and were blue I believe and later ski's said MAsterCraft only and were black in color but both have similar stripes. Here is one of the later models. I always wanted one!1984 was the year Mastercraft was bought by coleman company (yes the same as the camping gear)

Now I know I have an older O'Brien ski that says Coleman, and I'm not sure as to how early O'Brien skis was a Coleman company nor the timespan of that ownership.

BUT. If it overlapped there is a chance those would have been factory graphics for advertising purposes or a tournament boat.

And perhaps the mastercraft company would have some information on it? I know there are some older guys around these companies who were definately involved in the industry.

As for value if it is original factory I wouldn't peel them off. It makes it unique.

I would consider having a different mastercraft logo added elsewhere on the side, but I'd leave the obrien if original.

88 PS190
09-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Weren't the LaPoint ski's of old, Radius and the other asymmetrical MasterCraft Ski's by LaPoint manufactured by O'Brien?

Yup that rings. I think in the 80's most mastercraft branded stuff was the same as the o'brien product kneeboards, wetsuits, vests etc.

454Prostar190
09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Weren't the LaPoint ski's of old, Radius, Pulse and the other asymmetrical MasterCraft Ski's by LaPoint manufactured by O'Brien? The first were O'Brien's and were blue I believe and later ski's said MAsterCraft only and were black in color but both have similar stripes. Here is one of the later models. I always wanted one!

I have a MasterCraft ski similar to your picture that I bought at a garage sale for $7.00. It looks very similar with the exception of that it's silver in color.

454Prostar190
09-10-2009, 12:49 PM
i just bought a1984 mastercraft but instead of mastercraft on the side it has obrien skis . It appers as though it was ordered from the factory this way. I would like to refinish the sides and was wondering if it would lessen the value if I would replace the obrien skis with the factory mastercraft lettering .

My '82 S and S came with "Coca Cola" on the sides of the bow, and no MasterCraft in the normal place. My "MasterCraft" are on the sides of the stern and above the stripe.

DooSPX
09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
would love to see a pic of the boat!

cbryan70
09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=51525&stc=1&d=1252550507

I have that ski, just not double boots

Thrall
09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Put up a pic of your boat if you can. I might be able to help with it's history. Met a fellow a couple weeks ago (he let me lake test the new boat on their private ski lake :D) by the name of Ed Obrien.
He mentioned that he and his family were in the water ski business (he might be Herb OBriens brother???? I didn't pry) and that he remembered going down to the MC factory every year to pick up several new boats. Said the last one he had was a '96 LT-1 and was mildly interested in my old boat, as he had an affinity for the LT-1 Prostars.
It's quite possible this may have been one of Obrien's annual test boats.

Hoosier Bob
09-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Is yours asymmetrical right or left? I am goofy!;)http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=51525&stc=1&d=1252550507

I have that ski, just not double boots

ski_king
09-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Back in 84, both MasterCraft and Obrien were owned by Colman Corporation.

Around 82 or so, Kris and Bob LaPoint left Maharajah Skis and teamed up with MasterCraft to form MasterCraft Ski Co. The first skis were made by EP and while they carriied the MasterCraft name, they had a EP serial number tag on them. I had one I bought in 82 or 83.
After MasterCraft was bought by Colman, Obrien manufactured the MasterCraft Skis. Then after a few years the MasterCraft name was dropped and the skis were incorporated into the Obrien line as the LaPoint series.

The ski I had was the Lapoint Super Star.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6956&d=1140659841
I sold my old MasterCraft/EP ski to a fellow TT member who has one of Kris LaPoints old MasterCraft boats.

I have old ads from waterski companies that show MastrerCrafts with the ski companies name on the side. Medalist being one of them.

Now, lets see a picture of that boat.

cbryan70
09-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Is yours asymmetrical right or left? I am goofy!;)

Hell if I know, my dad skis goofy and it he bought the thing new

DooSPX
09-10-2009, 04:09 PM
would love to get my hands on an old mastercraft ski!

Greg Ludwig
09-10-2009, 04:20 PM
saw one on craig's list Toledo ohio or flint Michigan!

Hoosier Bob
09-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Ebay, that is the one in my pic. Asymmetrical Right!would love to get my hands on an old mastercraft ski!

deereman
09-11-2009, 12:15 AM
i got an old pair of the mastercraft lapointe ski gloves

88 PS190
09-11-2009, 01:32 AM
i got an old pair of the mastercraft lapointe ski gloves

No holes in the palms?

deereman
09-12-2009, 01:12 AM
not in the palms, just on the ends of the fingers

skijwr
09-23-2009, 03:13 AM
would love to get my hands on an old mastercraft ski!

DooSPX, here you go....
Mastercraft Lapoint Design kevlar Slalom ski 68"

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/spo/1354285903.html

and another...
Mastercraft LaPoint ski

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/spo/1342616686.html

Jorski
09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Ha ha...memories.

I have an old Lapointe O'Brien asymmetrical blank sitting in a closet at the cottage! Mine was labeled as a Lapointe O'Brien (as opposed to Mastercraft) but it is the same ski with different graphics.

I liked that ski quite a bit at the time.