PDA

View Full Version : Why 1500rpms to fill ballast...X2?

Thrall
09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Been reading on here to run the engine at 1500rpms while filling the ballast tanks. Haven't really gotten into the system yet, but does the ballast water pull off of the raw water intake or something, or is it an electrical current issue? Aslo do you have to be throttled up to empty them as well? Can you be cruising at 1500rpms, or must be in neutral...for filling and emptying? Can you safely fill/empty at higher rpms (while moving)?
Buncha basic questions I know, but where best to figure it out but here!
Oh and what's with lubing the ballast impellers for quicker fill? Surely you don't take the covers off the pumps every time, what do you use to lube them (no smart@ss answers please!:D)?

Kell
09-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Been reading on here to run the engine at 1500rpms while filling the ballast tanks. Haven't really gotten into the system yet, but does the ballast water pull off of the raw water intake or something, or is it an electrical current issue? Aslo do you have to be throttled up to empty them as well? Can you be cruising at 1500rpms, or must be in neutral...for filling and emptying? Can you safely fill/empty at higher rpms (while moving)?
Buncha basic questions I know, but where best to figure it out but here!
Oh and what's with lubing the ballast impellers for quicker fill? Surely you don't take the covers off the pumps every time, what do you use to lube them (no smart@ss answers please!:D)?
My understanding, and this comes from the dealer where I purchased my 09 X2, is its electrical based and maintaining 1500 rpm insures proper voltage to the pumps during filling or discharging.. The ballast pumps suck/discharge the ballast from a hole(s) on the bottom of the boat, the overflow discharges out the sides. I was told that you can idle at 1500 rpms, but any faster the system will not suck or discharge efficiently from the hole(s) on the bottom of the boat.

Thrall
09-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks, figured it was an electrical thing, cause I didn't see anything coiming off the raw water line. So, slow or stopped while filling, but dump ballast at any speed.

djhuff
09-14-2009, 01:47 PM
I always empty while going back to the dock. Thrall, our 06s empty out the side, so it doesn't matter if we are running fast.

I only fill 2 at a time though. I don't think the line supplying water to the manifold is large enough to keep all 3 pumps going. one is going to be starved for water (I believe this because whenever I fill all three at the same time, one tank isn't as full as the others, and it's not always the same one).

ap77
10-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Does anyone know what will happen if you fill and empty the ballast tanks with the engine off? It would be nice if we didn't have to run the engine...

sand2snow22
10-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Does anyone know what will happen if you fill and empty the ballast tanks with the engine off? It would be nice if we didn't have to run the engine...

Nothing. You can hear them working better at higher RPM's (1500) but it has been my experience that you can fill and empty them with the engine off! I've been through many pumps. RPM's above 1500 or with the engine off, it doesn't matter. Pumps still break.....:(

MattsCraft
10-05-2011, 10:55 AM
This is defiantly a voltage thing. Posted many times on this, I have 230 plus hours, same "green" impellers and no pump issues following this rule. Can you run the pumps without the engine on, certainly but on the newer boats with sensors, they will most likely time out!

On the newer boats, I think '07 up the fill is from the bottom of the boat (2) and overflow is just below the rub rail, one for each tank. For this reason, fill in neutral with the engine at 1200 to 1500 RPMs. Empty will work far better plowing at 1500 RPM's.