PDA

View Full Version : New here with lots of questions

DonB
09-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Hello all, I'm new here and would like to say hello. I have been boating since the late 60's but never had a MasterCraft. I bought a 1974 Stars & Stripes for a song this past February and had the carb rebuilt and tuned up and the thing runs great. The interior is in really good shape except the carpet which I plan to replace this winter. The fiberglass needs some work and the stripe needs re-gel coated. A fiberglass guy here in town said he can make it look new for about $3,000. I gave only slightly more that half that for the boat. My question is, do you guys think it would be worth the money to have him wet sand the entire boat, fix all the little imperfections and re gel the stripe part? I'm not sure what the boat would be worth afterward and I don't want to spend too much because I may want to get a newer one in a year or two. Also, a really dumb question. The prop actually came off last weekend. I don't know if the cotter pin came out or what but now I don't have a prop. I'm wanting to buy a new one but I never noticed the pitch on the old one. What prop would the boat have had on it? Sorry for the dumb questions guys and thanks for any help.
Don

Thrall
09-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Sounds like a good deal. Couple thousand for a classic MC that holds water and runs good.

If you don't want to spend $3k to fix up the appearance, get some sandpaper (use where needed, unless you;re sanding out scratches, the rest should just need compounding and polishing. If the stripe is messed up, since you don't plan on doing a full resto on it, just paint it (go with the same color unless it's hideuos or something and scratches won't show up too bad then).
If you plan on doing the carpet your self, you can tackle the gelcoat. Even if you bought everytool you needed, you could still do it for $1k or less.
Not sure on the prop, but there's alot of them for sale cheap too.

DonB
09-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the info Thrall. Where are the props for sale cheap? Everything I've been looking at is not cheap.

JohnE
09-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Post some pics if you would. I'd love to see the boat. IMO, you may or may not get your money back on the gel depending on the condition of the rest of the boat. Probably not worth it. But there are very few of those boats around....

EJ OJPROP
09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
What motor and transmission is in the boat?

DonB
09-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Here are a few I took when I first got it. It is cleaned up a little nicer now.

DonB
09-09-2009, 08:53 AM
A couple more

DonB
09-09-2009, 08:54 AM
It's a Ford 351, not sure on the transmission

EJ OJPROP
09-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Gonna guess the boat has a poweslot trans - Would suggest a 14 X 18 LC 1 1/8" 4-blade, and a nylock nut.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
The Powerslot was not available until 1980 so this boat should have a 13" prop.

hkallestad
09-09-2009, 09:07 AM
We love pictures!!!! ;-)

EJ OJPROP
09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
No Powerslot, then a 13 X 13 LC 1" 4-blade, and a nylock nut.

DonB
09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm thinking it was a 13" 3 blade prop. I'm certain it was 3 blade anyway. Thanks for all the help guys, what a great place to learn.

DonB
09-09-2009, 09:17 AM
BTW, where would be a good place to find a replacement prop? My 8 year old daughter just learned to ski and wants to go out again this weekend.

TMCNo1
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Remember, a new brass or s/s nyloc nut and a new s/s cotter pin and the occasional inspection to be sure it's all tight is cheaper than having to buy a new, used or rebuilt prop.

TMCNo1
09-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm thinking it was a 13" 3 blade prop. I'm certain it was 3 blade anyway. Thanks for all the help guys, what a great place to learn.

If it not a PowerSlot (see tag on top of the transmission for ration of 1:1) a 13 X 13, 3 blade would more than likely been standard.

DonB
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys. I will check the transmission when it quits raining and I can take the cover off.

Jesus_Freak
09-09-2009, 12:50 PM
BTW, where would be a good place to find a replacement prop?

PM this guy...

No Powerslot, then a 13 X 13 LC 1" 4-blade, and a nylock nut.

M-Funf
09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Don,

Your boat looks nearly identical to mine. I have a 13 X 13 LC 1" prop with double nut and cotter key. OJ Props should be able to hook you up with one, but they are not cheap.

I'd try using a circular polisher with compound to bring the blue back to life. Most of it should come back. $3k seems a bit steep, but I don't know what's involved.

Good Luck!

DonB
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys. M-Funf, I can feel some of the metal flake in the blue stripe so it's getting thin, the rest of the boat isn't too bad. If I make it look too good then I won't want anyone to get in it. EJ OJPROP just hooked me up with a 13x13 prop, thanks for that. I'll try to keep pictures posted throughout the winter as I kind of restore it. I am planning on getting the trailer sandblasted and repainted in the next few weeks. I wanted to get some baby moons for the wheels but can't find any with the holes for the bearing buddies. I may just look at some aluminum wheels instead.