PDA

View Full Version : 87 PS Starts hard after hot?

lakeview190
09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Boat has always started easily, but this season after running for a while and then taking a break 1/2 hour plus, the boat starts hard (have to turn it over a lot and give it a lot of gas). After it is running shut it off and it starts right up. Thought the carb was dripping fuel and flooding it, but not the case. Any help would be great. Hit 1103 hrs this weekend.

TMCNo1
09-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Check the timing and set at @ 6 degress BTDC @ 600 rpm in gear in the water for best results.

Brent
09-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I have been having trouble with my 87 Prostar for 3 years ,It would run great until it got up to temp & suddenly start running rough & stall After replacing almost everything I had a mechanic meet me at the dock after it happened & he found the distributors resistor was really hot ,so he bypassed it & I've had 5 straight days of problem free skiing ,I'm installing the new resistor ($10)tomorrow. Man it has been a thrustrating journey.

deereman
09-11-2009, 12:08 AM
we had the same issue--stalling when hot, but ours is a carb issue
1. doesn't have the 30 degree adapter plate under carb
2. carb was very gummed up and caused the float to stick, first started idling rough, then wouldnt start at all.