PDA

View Full Version : Had a bad day...need help.

mrprostar
09-07-2009, 11:49 PM
We had a rough weekend to finish up the year and I need a winter game plan. A litte background first: 96 Prostar 205 running at high elevation. I just put on a new 13x11 OJ prop that helped acceleration and improved the smoothness. The lake we typically go to is down about 30 feet even from three weeks ago. While pulling a skiier this morning we hit a rock and destroyed the prop. We were able to idle it back and get it on the trailer. We decided to put the old prop on and see if we had more problems than just the prop because we have to travel about two hours to get to water. It vibrated very bad even with the old prop (in pretty good condition). It was worst about 10 to 12 mph and smoothed out a little at high speed, but still very poor. During our test we lost the ability to turn left. I took the back seat out and was able to turn the rubber by hand to get us back to the dock. I have no idea if these two things are related. So I need a plan to find out exactly what needs to be replaced and how to test it. I have read several threads about strut bearings and shaft seals, etc. but where do I start? Where should I start with the steering problem?

JLeuck64
09-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Boy do I feel your pain. I have a little experience with your situation...

You broke your steering cable. To replace it you will need to know how long your original is. There should be a length stamped on the cable housing somewhere usually by the end that attaches to the rudder tiller arm. If you can't find it you will need to remove the cable and measure it.

The driveshaft and possibly the strut may have been damaged as well. Sounds like your winter will be spent rebuilding the drive train...

Feel free to PM me if you need assistance from a DIY'er like me!

Here is a link to my photo gallery.
http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2572&sort=1

h2oskifreak
09-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Sorry to hear of your luck. The bright side is it happened late in the year. I have a back (last Friday) issue and not sure how bad it is yet. My outlook is, at least it happened fairly close to the water getting cold. Good luck with your issue.

mrprostar
09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for your help. Does the steering cable break from wear in a certain area? We were going straight and it just shot hard right. Is there any chance it came disconnected on one end or the other?

The other thing I forgot to mention...there is no visible sign of damage from the rock to the strut, tracking fins, or rubber. So any damage incurred would be through the prop.

flipper
09-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks for your help. Does the steering cable break from wear in a certain area? We were going straight and it just shot hard right. Is there any chance it came disconnected on one end or the other?

The other thing I forgot to mention...there is no visible sign of damage from the rock to the strut, tracking fins, or rubber. So any damage incurred would be through the prop.

X2 on the steering cable is broken. Not hard to change out at all. It does sound like your shaft may be bent though

Thrall
09-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear about this mrprostar! I thought i had it bad when I bent the boat buddy this weekend.
Steering cable is likely broke, call Skidim, they'll fix you up.
If it still vibrates witht he old prop, shaft and/or strut is bent. If it isn't visible, a dial indicator will show if the strut is bent.
Not to sound like a salesman right now, but I have my Acme 13x11.5 (#543 model) for sale off my '96. It's in the marketplace. Get ahold of me if you want it.

CantRepeat
09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
That is terrible news.

I suffered the same thing last summer. Hit a rock and bent the shaft, strut, rudder, rudder housing and of course the prop.

I think it cost me just over 1k to repair it all. Had to pull the entire back seat out to get at the rudder and housing.

In the end the boat has never ran so smooth and vibration free in the 8 years I've owned it.

GL to you on this repair.

JoJo
10-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I had a similar problem. I ordered my parts from Jim Jackson,Viper Customs great prices.

I ended up bending the rudder,prop shaft, flange and prop. I had to take everything out, back seat, etc. a total PITA. I was fortunate that my fiberglass wasn't damaged.

That'll be my winter project.

JimN
10-04-2009, 11:03 AM
We had a rough weekend to finish up the year and I need a winter game plan. A litte background first: 96 Prostar 205 running at high elevation. I just put on a new 13x11 OJ prop that helped acceleration and improved the smoothness. The lake we typically go to is down about 30 feet even from three weeks ago. While pulling a skiier this morning we hit a rock and destroyed the prop. We were able to idle it back and get it on the trailer. We decided to put the old prop on and see if we had more problems than just the prop because we have to travel about two hours to get to water. It vibrated very bad even with the old prop (in pretty good condition). It was worst about 10 to 12 mph and smoothed out a little at high speed, but still very poor. During our test we lost the ability to turn left. I took the back seat out and was able to turn the rubber by hand to get us back to the dock. I have no idea if these two things are related. So I need a plan to find out exactly what needs to be replaced and how to test it. I have read several threads about strut bearings and shaft seals, etc. but where do I start? Where should I start with the steering problem?

You can steer it to go straight or to the right? If that's true, I suspect the tiller arm needs to be adjusted because the rudder was hit and cranked to one side. When you turned the rudder manually, did the steering wheel move? Turn the wheel to the limit in both directions and see if it stops moving the rudder when you turn to the left. If it does, it would seem that the cable broke, as posted. Do a search in the maintenance section for replacement instructions. I'd definitely look at the rudder shaft, strut and the whole drive. The strut will need alignment, too.

Cloaked
10-04-2009, 11:14 AM
... It vibrated very bad even with the old prop (in pretty good condition). If the old prop is not balanced properly (undamaged) it too will give you a vibration. I have seen small dings in a prop make one think it's badly bent, just from the vibration. Thus based on your description that is related to the old prop, there lies a small chance that the vibration stems from this ("old prop in pretty good shape") and not be any damage to other components (fingers crossed).

The steering is a seperate issue.

JimN
10-04-2009, 02:45 PM
If the vibration was there after the hit with the old prop, the shaft is bent. I can't see how that would survive when the new prop was toasted and he can't steer to port.

mrprostar
03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
After taking it all apart the shaft is definately bent from the strut back. The rudder has no damage. I believe the steering cable problem was unrelated because it happened several hours after and there is no sign of damage from the rudder. We are taking the shaft to a machine shop to see if they can straighten it, but not counting on it. Obviously looking for another new prop. I'm scanning for a used prop to save some money, but can't remember the shaft size. Is it 1 1/8"? Worst case we will get another new one from Eric.

JimN
03-07-2010, 11:50 AM
After taking it all apart the shaft is definately bent from the strut back. The rudder has no damage. I believe the steering cable problem was unrelated because it happened several hours after and there is no sign of damage from the rudder. We are taking the shaft to a machine shop to see if they can straighten it, but not counting on it. Obviously looking for another new prop. I'm scanning for a used prop to save some money, but can't remember the shaft size. Is it 1 1/8"? Worst case we will get another new one from Eric.

If the shop is a good one, they should be able to straighten it but it needs to be done in stages, not one shot. You'll need to make sure the strut is aligned, too.

mrprostar
03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
What is the best way to do that? With the shaft out I can look straight through the strut and the hull to the back of the transmission. It looks really straight, but could be slightly out.

JimN
03-07-2010, 01:12 PM
What is the best way to do that? With the shaft out I can look straight through the strut and the hull to the back of the transmission. It looks really straight, but could be slightly out.

You can't do it visually. The tolerance is .003"-.005" max. Once you have a straight propshaft, you'll need to check the alignment at the coupler and once the shaft is in place, you'll see if it's centered in the strut's bearings.

mrprostar
03-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know where I can find the nut for the coupler side of the driveshaft? Skidim doesn't carry it.

mrprostar
03-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Also, all I could find on the steering cable was "T Made By Teleflex USA" on both sides. Skidim is pretty sure its a 17'? Go with it?

mrprostar
04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
The damage.....

mrprostar
04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
One more thing...do the tracking fins look bent? Are they supposed to be bent a little? The rock did not hit the fins so any bend has been there since we have had it.

mrprostar
04-29-2010, 09:04 AM
I put in the new steering cable (17' was the right one) this weekend. I have a few suggestions for those needing to do this. First, tieing a string to one end was essential to feeding it correctly. Second, MAKE SURE that you insert the new cable into the helm at the top hole not the bottom. I put it in wrong and noticed it looked different right away and fixed it but if I didn't catch it, it could have been trouble.

My question is for those who have done it before. How do you line up the helm/cable/rudder so that when going straight the wheel is right side up and so that you have the same number of turns to the left as you do to the right. Is it trial and error? Right now with the rudder pointing straight I have two turns left to lock and one turn to the right. If I feed out the cable by turning the wheel I lose a point of reference.