PDA

View Full Version : Home Improvement Thread

jdl xstar
09-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I've seen many home improvements on this board and thought it'd be good to consolidate them into a single thread. I mean, after the time, energy and money spent to undertake these projects, its nice to show them off, right?! Also could be a good source for inspiration so please share projects and ideas!

Here's a project I'd been working on the last couple weekends. I wanted to have larger patio area near the sliding glass doors as an eating area besides the deck in the back yard. Its 18x18 travertine with slate tile inlay to border the middle area. In time I will get a large awning to cover the entire extended area. A GC did the job so I can't take credit for the actual labor..

Before:

During: Had to pour concrete to extend the existing area.

After!

JohnnyB
09-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Wow...beautiful patio area...

jdl xstar
09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks man. I feel like I just added so much more square footage of usable area.

trickskier
09-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Nice job JD!!! :D

Tomsinamerica
09-08-2009, 10:22 AM
fantastic idea and great design and execution of tiling!

I always have grand ideas when it comes to laying tile but when push comes to shove I just go for the simple option as I hate it soooo much. Which reminds me that I need to finish my half bath downstairs at some point and tile over my brick fireplace... :(

Jabrew
09-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Nice job like the inlay. How are those tiles when wet?

flipper
09-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Looks great!!!!!

Ski-me
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Great thread idea......

We are currently going through a Major remodel! Once I get some of the items complete, I'll post some before and after pics.

Extending hardwoods into family
Sand all hardwoods and re-stain darker
All new trim and doors
New Kitchen cabinets
Re-face fireplace
Re-located laundry room upstairs

Can't wait until its done!!:o

jdl xstar
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
fantastic idea and great design and execution of tiling!

I always have grand ideas when it comes to laying tile but when push comes to shove I just go for the simple option as I hate it soooo much. Which reminds me that I need to finish my half bath downstairs at some point and tile over my brick fireplace... :(

I know what you mean about going the simple route. Originally, I was going to simply put squares down with no inlay and border. Got some suggestions about the border and shifting the tile 45 degrees in the middle and that made all the difference.

Nice job like the inlay. How are those tiles when wet?

Thanks! Slickness was a concern of mine but this type of travertine isn't as slick as some types that are used exclusively for indoor. When wet, it is slick when barefoot but with shoes its fine. I would not use this stuff around a pool deck, but for areas where you'll be in shoes most of the time, it holds great when wet.

PA Prostar
12-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Here's my big project as of late. Before and After. Still some landscaping to go.

Double D
12-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Here is my basement I did in 2007. Bar picture is missing the bar stools.. Full bathroom behind the bar wall.

Double D
12-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Garage I had built this summer (2009) I didn't build it but I am doing all the inside finish work (electrical, insulation, drywall). Boat loves it too....:D

DemolitionMan
12-23-2009, 09:32 PM
That looks nice. I like the Busch sign.:D

SkiDog
12-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Redid a room at a friends house last week.

Jerseydave
12-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Nice home improvements, guys!

This is the bar area of our basement that a family friend built for us last winter. (the rest of the basement was also finished, approx 1000 sq. ft.)
I designed the basement and bar myself, bar top is sapelli wood with an oak chicago-style bar rail, brass foot rests, bucks county stone veneer, sink and drop in bottle cooler. Looking to add some kind of wine glass rack or "bar back" behind it next. For now it's a great space to hang out and watch sports and wake videos! :)

before

after

Jesus_Freak
12-27-2009, 07:03 AM
You all have done some excellent work on here, showing skill and creativity! Very, very nice.

I am trying my best but cannot find a related thread that has something about "Teamtalkers Woodworking" (or a derivative) in the title. Anyone know?

agua4fun
12-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Woodworkers Team Talkin' - we have some talented guys on this site!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6835&highlight=wood+work

Ski-me
12-27-2009, 06:03 PM
We just finished up remodeling a major portion of our home and just as you would expect, found another house to purchased. Good thing we did all the remodeling!!

Anyways, here is some before and after pics.

Re-faced the fireplace, pulled the existing carpet out and extended the hardwood floors. We then re-stained all the wood darker. Also, all new 4" trim and new doors.

Ski-me
12-27-2009, 06:06 PM
New Front Door, New handrail and spindles, New darker, hardwood floors.

Ski-me
12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
New kitchen cabinets, darker hardwood floors (re-stained oak).

Knotty Alter cabinets and re-used our existing appliances and granite countertop.

Ski-me
12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Re-faced the basement fireplace as well.

Original pic came from our Jr. High church group using our basement.....:)

DooSPX
12-28-2009, 11:41 AM
looks great ski-me!

Jorski
12-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Ski-Me...did you remove all of that brick, or were you able to put the stone on top?

Either way, it looks fantastic!

scott023
12-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Re-faced the basement fireplace as well.

Original pic came from our Jr. High church group using our basement.....:)

How come you down sized the TV??? :D:D:D

Ski-me
12-29-2009, 11:30 AM
We gave the old TV to a friend and found a much thinner Plasma. It is a great TV! Even though the old TV was "bigger" the screen wasn't....and it was the old square type. Now we have the sweet widescreen, Pioneer one.

As far as the fireplace......we just added the facing to the existing brick. It really turned out great! We also had a gas fireplace insert added and now my wife sits there constantly! She does love her fireplace.........:o

The basement one is my favorite......it's darker in color than the upstairs one.

quicksilver1983
12-29-2009, 09:22 PM
basements look great. wish we had them down here...

uncleboo
12-29-2009, 10:13 PM
We put in granite, a new sink, faucet, backsplash, etc.

shepherd
12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Here's our project. Just picked this baby up last month, just 1-1/2 blocks from the beach. We're currently painting the interior, will be adding new carpet and tile and refurbing the kitchen. Yesterday, we had the slab poured for our new full length front porch.

TayMC197
12-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Got a great deal on this cool little house. Hated the cheap floors and counters so redid all of it myself in spare time.

shepherd
01-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I need to cap off the water supply pipes and pvc plumbing vent that are coming out of the concrete slab in our old laundry room. We're expanding the kitchen into that area and want to lay flooring over where the pipes and vent come out of the slab. Anyone ever done something like that? I guess the concrete will have to be chiseled out to be able to cap them off below floor level.

TMCNo1
01-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I need to cap off the water supply pipes and pvc plumbing vent that are coming out of the concrete slab in our old laundry room. We're expanding the kitchen into that area and want to lay flooring over where the pipes and vent come out of the slab. Anyone ever done something like that? I guess the concrete will have to be chiseled out to be able to cap them off below floor level.

It's funny you brought the subject up, but this morning at breakfast one our group ( a homebuilder) brought up the fact that our local inspectors and codes don't allow you to cap off a plumbing vent, you have to relocate/move it and keep it working, even thought you are equipping the new location for the laundry room with a new vent on the drains. Be prepared for anything, the inspections departments for the various trades around here have gone crazy with bunches of code changes and their interpretation of those codes.

shepherd
01-27-2010, 02:11 PM
That's why we do these jobs ourselves! ;)

Seriously, the biggest obstacle I'm seeing is digging down into the concrete to be able to cap off the water supply pipes below floor level. With the copper pipe set directly into the concrete, I'd be afraid that chipping the concrete away would damage the pipe below where I want to cap it or -- even worse -- damage the whole-house water supply line that it taps into. I'm going to get a plumber to come out and look at it but was wondering if anyone on here is an expert in these things for a second opinion. Of course, if there is an issue with the code, then a plumber may not be able to help.

Monte
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Shep, I would suggest capping the supply line at the source ie where that particular line branches off from the main line/ water heater. You don't want to place yourself in the situation where over time a leak develops in that line and you have to rip the kitchen apart to find it. Is your home on a slab or do you have a crawlspace?

shepherd
01-27-2010, 03:31 PM
It's on a slab. Crawl space would be easy. :(

SkiDog
01-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Here's an outdoor bar area I did a few months back for a friend of mine.

Monte
01-27-2010, 07:34 PM
It's on a slab. Crawl space would be easy. :(

Darn:confused: I would still look for the mainline connection:) Um good luck:o

trickskier
01-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Nice work dog! :D

Monte
01-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Looks great Dog:cool:

KnoxX2
01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey Skidog are the speakers a little off? Did you use a level? Just sayin!!! LOL

Looks great!

SkiDog
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Hey Skidog are the speakers a little off? Did you use a level? Just sayin!!! LOL

Looks great!

I did not install the speakers, the owner did that.
Here's what I just finished today. Talk about HEAVY lumber! had to use mt tractor to lift the columns off the trailer.

JohnnyB
01-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Nice work? Looks like a cabin somewhere with another one next to it. Resort?

BriEOD
01-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Looks good Eddie, nice craftsmanship. That said, why a pergola and not a covered porch?

SkiDog
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Looks good Eddie, nice craftsmanship. That said, why a pergola and not a covered porch?

Owner didn't want it covered.

SkiDog
02-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Here's a new assembly table I decided that I had to have in my shop. I got a ton of hours in this thing and I think I can finally see the light at the end now. Did the drawer fonts tonight. Got a few more things I wanna do to it before its completed.

2RLAKE
02-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Here's a new assembly table I decided that I had to have in my shop. I got a ton of hours in this thing and I think I can finally see the light at the end now. Did the drawer fonts tonight. Got a few more things I wanna do to it before its completed.

beautiful .. are those hickory drawer fronts?

SkiDog
02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
beautiful .. are those hickory drawer fronts?

I'm about 99% sure that its hickory. I'll finish them up in a little while and get a coat of urethane on them. Should turn out pretty nice.

rjracin240
02-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Just put in a friends request on your profile, let me know when you are ready to start my bar:toast:

CruisinGA
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Big Green Egg table my roommate built last week. I helped... supervise. :D

SkiDog
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Big Green Egg table my roommate built last week. I helped... supervise. :D

Now that looks GREAT!:)

CruisinGA
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Now that looks GREAT!:)

I've always been good at telling other people how to do things. ;)