PDA

View Full Version : Prop Shaft Adjustment Help

nitro5238
09-05-2009, 06:36 PM
OK....It is now official. I have conquered my first transmisson removal and front pump seal installation. Although it was physically tough to accomplish it was a pretty straight forward operation. I have read about everything possibly written about prop shaft adjustment but for some reason I just can't get everything to line up. I like to do my own repairs on everything I own so I can't bear the thought of taking it in just to have this done. Any of you guys have a quick and simple method that you could share? Everthing has been re-connected and the motor and transmission mounts are back in thier original position. Prop shaft coupling is still un-connected. My engine seems to be off to the port side about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in the rear.

Boat info.....1990 PS190 351w with 1:1 Borg Warner

JLeuck64
09-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Shaft alignment can be physically demanding also...
In addition to the vertical adjustment available on each mount, there is also a provision to move the engine and transmission to the left and to the right. Take a good look at your mounts and you should see the pins that lock the trunions into the mount. Loosen the nut a turn then hit it with a hammer. This will loosen the pin. Do the same on the opposite side. Now you are free to move the trans to the left or to the right. I like to use a big A$$ pry bar to shove things around and it usually takes me several tries to get it close. Tighten every thing up and check/re-adjust as necessary.

Once I get the left/right adjustment where I like it I move on to the vertical adjustment with a feeler blade.
HTH

FrankSchwab
09-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Got nothing to add to JLeuck64's post - move the sucker.

Have you read the "propshaft alignment.doc" file that's been floating around here? It describes the left/right adjustment, IIRC.

/frank

blackcreek
09-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I used the instructions from one of the threads here, not real hard but time consuming chasing that last little bit to make it perfect. The PITA problem I had was the mounts were frozen. I had to take each mount off put it in a vise and free up the rusty bolts and slider rods. Lots of liquid wrench, some emery cloth and spray grease to free the mounts up. After locking the motor in place I coated the mounts with Boeshield.

nitro5238
09-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks Guys!!!!!!! I used Jleuck64's advise and hit the pins with a hammer to loosen them up. A prybar and a little bit of patience later and I got everything to line up within the magic number. As Frankshcwab would say "just move the sucker". It was a two day operation but it was much more rewarding to actually do this whole job by myself. Now off to the lake to see if anything blows up or leaks!

wrobins1
05-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Got nothing to add to JLeuck64's post - move the sucker.

Have you read the "propshaft alignment.doc" file that's been floating around here? It describes the left/right adjustment, IIRC.

/frank

Does anyone have this doc they could forward onto my email address joshua_robinson67@yahoo.com? Thanks.

FrankSchwab
05-14-2012, 12:45 PM
A quick search might find something (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47153&highlight=propshaft+alignment) in an existing thread.