PDA

View Full Version : 1990 prostar 190 engintion staying engaged

nttooker
09-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I have a 1990 prostar and I recently put a new celanoid on it. A few weeks later I turned the key over and noticed that my starter was staying engaged to the point to where the only way I could stop it was to disconnect the battery. So, I figured that the issue was most likely the ignition switch, which is now brand new, but I am having the same problem. According to some threads I have read on here, it seems to be a wiring issue with the celanoid. Can you please tell me how your celaniod is connected to the starter and the engine. Can you also tell me what type of celanoid you are using. The one I bought is a four post. Any tips or suggesstions would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to e-mail me at nttooker@aol.com. Also if anyone know a parts list or links to wiring diagrams that would be amazing. Thanks for your time!!!!!

etduc
09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a 1990 prostar and I recently put a new celanoid on it. A few weeks later I turned the key over and noticed that my starter was staying engaged to the point to where the only way I could stop it was to disconnect the battery. So, I figured that the issue was most likely the ignition switch, which is now brand new, but I am having the same problem. According to some threads I have read on here, it seems to be a wiring issue with the celanoid. Can you please tell me how your celaniod is connected to the starter and the engine. Can you also tell me what type of celanoid you are using. The one I bought is a four post. Any tips or suggesstions would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to e-mail me at nttooker@aol.com. Also if anyone know a parts list or links to wiring diagrams that would be amazing. Thanks for your time!!!!!

Your starter celaniod, is toast! Buy a marine verision, from local marine dealer, or from http://www.skidim.com. Cool thing about skidim.com, just tell them what boat you have, and what you need. They send the correct part. They will also, answer questions.

TMCNo1
09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
And if you contact them by email, use the word solenoid.

tph
09-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I had a similar problem a few years ago. a simple lubrication of the assembly that pushes the starter gear into the flywheel solved the problem.