PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning hull

JPSkier
09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Just bought a used boat. Upholstery and side gel coat are in great shape. The bottom of the hull has some water spotting/stains, particularly back where it sits on the trailer. Regular wax takes most of it off but takes too much effort. Any suggestions for something that would get this off easier?

bigmac
09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Just bought a used boat. Upholstery and side gel coat are in great shape. The bottom of the hull has some water spotting/stains, particularly back where it sits on the trailer. Regular wax takes most of it off but takes too much effort. Any suggestions for something that would get this off easier?
An acid wash will do it. Get some MaryKate On-Off, or better yet (IMHO) some SlimeyGrimey (milder).

Thrall
09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
I've used toilet bowl cleaner (acid wash) for years. It doesn't harm the gel or decals (so far). Takes off everything but scratches and oxidation with very little effort. Warning, if you have a concrete drive, keep it good and wet, or it'll etch your concrete.

BriEOD
09-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Starbrite makes a hull cleaner that works well (acid wash). SkiDog suggests using a pump up sprayer, which I'll 2nd.

TMCNo1
10-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Is this new or did I just happen up on it, for Boats and RV's too, http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/store/303_Products.html

-303 Shower Shield - 16 oz $10.95 On Sale! $9.95
-$21.90 On Sale! $12.98 , 303 Shower Shield 16 oz 2-Pak, Buy One; Get one Free! Limited Time Offer!

303 Shower Shield leaves an invisible, repellent finish that nothing can stick to. No more mildew! No more soap film! No more mineral deposits! Sure, there are a lot of products for cleaning showers. But only 303 Shower Shield keeps showers clean, week after week.

Reapply 303 Shower Shield every 4-6 weeks. Takes 3-4 minutes. Super easy. Just spray on/wipe off. What would you rather do? What you're doing now? Or let 303 Shower Shield keep your shower clean so you don't have to.

303 Shower Shield will save hours of cleaning drudgery every month. Keeps showers and fixtures looking new!

The Best for Counter Tops - Cultured Marble - Plastic Laminates in the Bath, Bar, Kitchen, Laundry Room. - NON TOXIC TOO.

General Instructions:

Make sure your shower walls are clean, dry and free of any soap film or mineral deposits.
Cover shower floor before use. - Caution: Shower Shield will make shower floor slippery - Do NOT get 303 Shower Shield on the shower floor. Use household cleaner to remove any Shower Shield from shower floor before using shower.
Mist on 303 Shower Shield until surfaces are covered, including metal fixtures, grout and glass doors.
Dry completely with a clean, absorbent cloth. If cloth becomes damp, switch to fresh cloth.

Polish all surfaces to a high gloss.
Reapply when water beading starts to diminish, usually every 4-6 weeks

dpolen
10-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I used the MaryKate On/Off stuff for the first time this year (had used Starbrite and West Marine stuff previously). I was VERY pleased with the results, best cleaner I've ever used. My boat sits in the lake all summer, this stuff took all the water spots and algae off with very limited scrubbing. $14.99 at West Marine right now, worth every penny. Get yourself a mask and rubber gloves before using it, its strong stuff.

bigmac
10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I used the MaryKate On/Off stuff for the first time this year (had used Starbrite and West Marine stuff previously). I was VERY pleased with the results, best cleaner I've ever used. My boat sits in the lake all summer, this stuff took all the water spots and algae off with very limited scrubbing. $14.99 at West Marine right now, worth every penny. Get yourself a mask and rubber gloves before using it, its strong stuff.

On-Off is a very effective acid cleaner. I used it for years until I switched to Slimey Grimey (more dilute). I have found that to do just as good a job as On-Off without the need for protective gear, damage to the trailer, damage to aluminum (windshield frame), or etching of the concrete.

Muttley
10-09-2009, 11:04 AM
For hard water spots, CLR. Wipes them right off.

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

dpolen
10-09-2009, 11:06 AM
On-Off is a very effective acid cleaner. I used it for years until I switched to Slimey Grimey (more dilute). I have found that to do just as good a job as On-Off without the need for protective gear, damage to the trailer, damage to aluminum (windshield frame), or etching of the concrete.

I'll have to give that one a try next year. Thanks for the info bigmac.

corey
10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
We've been using Zip Away this year, it is safe to get on your skin AND cleans your boat. Not quite as strong as an acid wash, but much easier to use and non-toxic. After using it on more than a few boats I would recommend it.

http://www.zipawaysb.com/product-information.html

bturner2
10-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I used ZING this fall. Pretty nasty stuff as all acid washes will be. I used a garden sprayer to apply the the acid wash to the bottom. Worked really well. Just need to thoroughly wash everything up after you're done.

WAProstar
10-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Is this new or did I just happen up on it, for Boats and RV's too, http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/store/303_Products.html

-303 Shower Shield - 16 oz

Are you using the Shower Shield on the hull to prevent water spots?

MariStar-Man
10-10-2009, 01:20 PM
I used some Stuff from West Marine, Called NanoWax for Fiberglass and Gelcoats. Need to see how long it lasts...

I was looking for a product that might last all season. anyone ever try Nufinish? or any products that last long time?

http://images.westmarine.com/full/10174852.jpg

victoria
12-30-2009, 02:26 PM
In response to the inquiry about what to use as a hull cleaner on your boat, you could use any number of products that contain corrosive and abrasive substances. Or you could ignore all the harmfull stuff and go to www.zipaway.net and check out their completey non-toxic, non-corrosive line of products. Everything from your bilge to your top deck can be completely cleaned without using any of the harmfull stuff, and these are the guys that have it.

bfinley
12-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Question - After you use one of the "acid-based" products to wash the hull, you need to re-wax it right? I believe the acid strips off all the wax.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Question - After you use one of the "acid-based" products to wash the hull, you need to re-wax it right? I believe the acid strips off all the wax.

All the wax and the outer layers of skin on your hands if you don't wear gloves.

atlfootr
12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
'If I've said it once, I've said it a million times .... SNO-BOL'
atlfootr

kiteklan
01-05-2010, 12:44 AM
I had the same propblem + some shells from the sea,nothing took them off. And I made WetSand Paper (#3000 used ones) after that hard paste/polish.

bigmac
01-05-2010, 07:18 AM
'If I've said it once, I've said it a million times .... SNO-BOL'
atlfootr

Or...you could use a product that's designed and marketed specifically for use on gelcoat instead of toilets.

ridefst
06-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Ok, so a Mastercraft is not a toilet, but I tried this for the first time and it's so easy it feels like cheating!
Couple of bottles of The Works toilet bowl cleaner in a garden sprayer, and an open hose in the other. Just spray it down, and rinse it off 10 seconds later; perfectly clean!
I already tried purple power, simple green, and a few other things, all with lots of scrubbing and little effect.
Shouldn't really have to do this again, as I won't be leaving it in the water (unlike the previous owner), so it should stay pretty clean after a good wax job.
I made sure to thouroughly rinse down the bunks, trailer, and cement driveway with plenty of water.
I did make the mistake of getting a bit on the rudder, so for now I've got a half pink rudder (looks like a penny after sitting in vinegar). Hopefully it'll oxidise again so it looks better.

cf_koch
06-30-2010, 07:52 AM
We have always had good luck with wiping down the boat with a towell immediately after we pull it out of the water. If there are any stains at the water line they can usually be rubbed off with a sponge while they are still wet. By doing this we do not get water spots and do not have to scub off dryed on dirt.

SoCal205
07-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I use lysol toilet bowl cleaner and peroxide. Mix 1 to 1 in a bucket get a nice soft carwash brush wet boat with water clean rince and wax.

wcapps
07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
We've always used vinager and water, in a 50/50 mix. Is that bad? Seems to me that's what's in all the boat water spot removers anyway...

My buddy also uses boatbling products, hot sauce, etc...

Big Dogg
08-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Just bought some MaryKate ON/OFF as to remove some hard water stains on the bottom of my Rinker. Has anyone used it to clean a stainless steel prop or the outdrive. Have those same hard water stains on each of them (boat only sits in water Friday-Sunday and wiped down after every use). Wanted your opinions before I put on a "test" spot.

Thanks!

Craig
08-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Ok, so a Mastercraft is not a toilet, but I tried this for the first time and it's so easy it feels like cheating!
Couple of bottles of The Works toilet bowl cleaner in a garden sprayer, and an open hose in the other. Just spray it down, and rinse it off 10 seconds later; perfectly clean!
I already tried purple power, simple green, and a few other things, all with lots of scrubbing and little effect.
Shouldn't really have to do this again, as I won't be leaving it in the water (unlike the previous owner), so it should stay pretty clean after a good wax job.
I made sure to thouroughly rinse down the bunks, trailer, and cement driveway with plenty of water.
I did make the mistake of getting a bit on the rudder, so for now I've got a half pink rudder (looks like a penny after sitting in vinegar). Hopefully it'll oxidise again so it looks better.

This is that I have done the two times I needed to get stains off the hull, too easy. The pink will fade on the rudder in 2-3 outings.

How often people will need to do this will depend on the quality of water your boat is in. If you leave your boat in Lake Tahoe without wax I would imagine it would take a lot longer to get nasty iron stains on your hull (if ever) compared to the junk in the lakes around my neck of the woods.

If I clean my hull and do not put a coat of wax on it I will have stains on the first outing, no question. If I keep some wax on it I can go most of the year with no issue.

99xstar
08-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Used the 50/50 mixture of The Works and Hydrogen Peroxide and took most of my stains off very easily. Went ahead and applied one coat of wax. Want to put another coat on before the next outing. I still have some spots that after 2 treatments and scrubbing, they are still there. Still scratching my head on what to do next.

CCAnderson
05-07-2012, 08:12 AM
so the common ingredient in removing water spots seems to be acid. I use a 50/50 mix vinagar and water after ever session. It doesn't take very much just a fine mist then wipe the boat down. The benefit: Vinegar is cheap.

When I bought the boat the previous owner never cleaned it. I used muriatic acid from the hardware store and car wash brush. the scale was so thick it took three sessions. Muriatic acid is available at any home improvement store.

Jorski
05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
The main ingredient in Starbrite hull cleaner is muriatic acid.

Tomi
05-12-2012, 01:07 PM
I had some buildup in my boat bottom too. Used buffer and Farecla compound. It came off really easily but granted did take a few hours and some elbow grease.
Ouh... and I the before picture shows it after it was washed a few times. Once soaked with toilet detergent etc. I tried all tricks mentioned anywhere... absolutely no impact.

swatguy
05-12-2012, 02:38 PM
I will add toilet boo
El cleaner as well for tough tough spot. The Works brand is always on sale works magic with a brush

chevyluv
05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
For hard water spots, CLR. Wipes them right off.

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

is this a safe way to do it the bottom id say about 4 inches under the rub rail has water spots not realy bad ones. id like to remove them before i wax the boat should i give the CLR a try also around the shower on the boat there is some pink residue would it work here as well. ?

jeffbare
05-02-2013, 06:30 PM
I used toilet bowel cleaner for a long time, but then I discovered FSR, or Fiberglass Stain Remover. The best stuff there is, you won't be disapointed at all.

chevyluv
05-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Anyone know of a local place is bc canada that may stock this? Will clr hurt my gel coat if I use it in the meantime

Snipe
05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
I hope I'm not thread jacking, this just seems to be the place to ask.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=94745&stc=1&d=1368131755
I bought this boat last November and am in the process of cleaning it up before I put it on the lift. Everything cleaned up great except I cannot figure out what these white blotches are under the back half of the hull. the forward part is as it should be, and where the bunks are it seems to have worn off. When I rub my hand across the dull part (blotches) which looks like some kind of coating, it feels like oxidation and a white chalky substance comes off on the hand. What confuses me is that it is UNDER the hull where "the sun don't shine" and it's not over the entire bottom. Almost like some kind of anti fouling coating. But Really?? The shiny part on the picture is like the gel should be ..,smoooooth. Even more confusing, as the pic shows, that same stuff is on the prop shaft. I did lightly sand the shaft and it does come off. I just don't feel comfortable sanding the hull. Do any of you experts know of a cleaner that may take that off? I wonder if some sort of paint thinner or something of that nature might touch that stuff. It's not a big deal, but I think a smooooth hull would perform better,

TxsRiverRat
05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Kaboom works awesome with very little elbow grease - wash the boat off after.

Snipe
05-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I wonder if Kaboom is bio-degradable? I would like to do this after it's on the lift. There just ain't no room crawling under the trailer. :twocents:

AJs97prostar
05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Miguires Heavy oxidation remover worked wonders for me. Wipe on wipe off and follow with there marine wax.

chevyluv
05-30-2013, 07:46 PM
due to budget and having 4 things of toilet bowl cleaner sitting around i tried to give this a shot( also didn't feal like ordering it and waiting).

by the time i could get a cloth to wipe it off all the pink was gone it was ridiculous. it didn't do anything to the chalky residue on the bottom(clr seams to get that though)

my only complaint is now it makes me realize instead of just the lower 1/3 i need to do the whole boat below the rub rail.

Mastercraft13
05-30-2013, 10:24 PM
I hope I'm not thread jacking, this just seems to be the place to ask.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=94745&stc=1&d=1368131755
I bought this boat last November and am in the process of cleaning it up before I put it on the lift. Everything cleaned up great except I cannot figure out what these white blotches are under the back half of the hull. the forward part is as it should be, and where the bunks are it seems to have worn off. When I rub my hand across the dull part (blotches) which looks like some kind of coating, it feels like oxidation and a white chalky substance comes off on the hand. What confuses me is that it is UNDER the hull where "the sun don't shine" and it's not over the entire bottom. Almost like some kind of anti fouling coating. But Really?? The shiny part on the picture is like the gel should be ..,smoooooth. Even more confusing, as the pic shows, that same stuff is on the prop shaft. I did lightly sand the shaft and it does come off. I just don't feel comfortable sanding the hull. Do any of you experts know of a cleaner that may take that off? I wonder if some sort of paint thinner or something of that nature might touch that stuff. It's not a big deal, but I think a smooooth hull would perform better,

When I used to leave my I/O docked in the water, I would get this buildup from time to time (calcium). I don't want to lead you the wrong way but if I remember correctly a little CLR in a spray bottle and wash after worked. It has been 10 years so my memory may be incorrect.

chevyluv
05-31-2013, 01:06 AM
I tested a small similar patch on my boat and clr took it away

Mastercraft13
05-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Good to hear!

chriscraftmatt1976
05-31-2013, 11:03 AM
My hull was all yellowed, and following someone on Team Talk's advice, i cleaned it with iron out, and it worked great. My boat looks brand new.