PDA

View Full Version : 02 X Star Leaking Tranny Problem

Topless67
09-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Hello,

My 02 X Star with the 330 LTR and Hurth HSW 630VI has been running great all season with no problems whatsoever.

Last weekend I noticed a milky pink liquid in my bilge and milky pink liquid in my tranny/vdrive.

I cleaned out the bilge area and began hunting for the leak and began reading all the previous posted threads in this forum.

I called my local MC dealer and asked how water can make it into the tranny. The service tech said either the lower seal that goes to the output shaft or from the tranny/oil cooler. He went on to explain this is a very common failure if you have water in the bilge high enough to reach the output seal. He said the hot shaft and hot seal when rapidly cooled will crack and fail over time. He also stated there is a slight vaccum in the tranny that will suck water into the tranny through the failed seal.

He then quoted me $2500 to pull the engine and tranny to replace the seal and possible recondition the clutch pack (easily damaged by the moisture). Does this sound right to you all?

Most of the threads I reviewed with this same issue pointed to the trans cooler as being the culprit ($200 fix I can do myself).

The tranny is nearly empty of all liquid now which would make sense if it is the lower outside seal as it is nearly at the bottom of the tranny.

What do you all think and is it true, it is extremely difficult to pull just the vdrive out without pulling the entire engine with it? It looks like it is just six bolts and a linkage that needs to be removed to pull the tranny or is there more to it?

Your help and advice is greatly needed and much appreciated.:)

WilliM1940
09-02-2009, 01:16 PM
At the least, you should be able to pressure test your trans cooler with a hose while disconnected from the transmission and look for leakage. That should eliminate this as a problem. Just in browsing, I am seeing alot of these lower seal problems in this type of boat.

76S&S
09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Topless, PM at you.

Didn't want to discuss what I paid on an open forum, as several dealers are on here.

QBhater
09-03-2009, 11:13 AM
My tranny in my 2001 Prostar 205 V also bleed out in the bildge. the output seal went out. It took me and a friend who is a GREAT boat mechanic about 4 hours to remove everthingy to get to the tranny and a lot of muscle to get it out without a lift. Our lift had to lift the motor a little bit to get the tranny out and my back had to lift the tranny. Once it was out I took it to a marine tranny shop in Everett, Wa and they rebuilt it for $ 576.76. It the same shop that mastercraft would have sent it. I had no water damage in the tranny, they replaced the seals and filter. It took under week to get it back, Then about 4 more hours to get it in and put everything back.

It has been 3 years and no problems since... I keep my bilge dry now

Topless67
09-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the additional information.

I live in Washington as well and if I successfully pull my tranny this weekend, I plan on dropping it off at Harbor Marine in Everett to have the seal replaced.

I realize the 205V and the x Star are the same boat but it really looks like if I remove the pylon and frame, and pull the fuel cell, floor board and rear seat, there should be plenty of room to remove the V-drive without monkeying with the engine.

How do you feel about giving me a hand for your weight in beer and pizza?

QBhater
09-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Harbor Marine is where I took mine. We pulled it out put it on wood stack table near the side of the boat, then I lifted it out of the boat down some make shift steps and into the truck. I still have the scars on my forearms where i bear hugged it!! I didn't have to lift it much just had to hold on to it!!

I would give a hand this weekend but....

Good Luck, by the weigh, I tip or crush the scale at 340lbs

76S&S
09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Harbor Marine is where I took mine. We pulled it out put it on wood stack table near the side of the boat, then I lifted it out of the boat down some make shift steps and into the truck. I still have the scars on my forearms where i bear hugged it!! I didn't have to lift it much just had to hold on to it!!

I would give a hand this weekend but....

Good Luck, by the weigh, I tip or crush the scale at 340lbs

Tipis the scales at 340..........sounds like just the right person to help with a project like this.:D