PDA

View Full Version : New motor for 92 Prostar 205?

dan1
08-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Hopefully someone can help. I am wanting to purchase a 92 Prostar 205. The add said it had a new motor recently. After talking with the guy, turns out he bought it in July 09, enjoyed it for 1 day before it started to lose power. When he took it in, there was water in the oil. Compression checked out (his word). The mechanic said it needed new lower manifolds. He was unable to get ahold of the previous owner to find out anything (red flag). He never asked for the paperwork on the motor, so I'm flying blind as to who messed with it.

The boat and trailer is very clean. There is light wear on the seats, carpet needs to be replaced, exterior is very clean, but currently doesn't run. He wants 7000.00 for it. I'm not sure I should pay that, but I love the boat.

My questions are:
How much is it worth in this condition?
How much for Mastercraft to put in a new motor for me (rough idea)? Will they?
I'm not saying that what it needs, but I'm talking worst case.
Thanks for the help.

woftam
08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Do a search. I don't recall the name of the thread, but it was fairly recent. The current owner's thread documents the steps he took and his frustrations with the engine.
He sounds like a nice guy with good intentions that didn't get the package he had bargained for.
I wouldn't low ball him. Negotiate a fair price is my best advise.

dan1
08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah. I won't low ball him, but I need to buy this as if it needs a motor, so I'm just curious to what a fair price is. He's in deep. I just don't want to be the proud owner of a money pit too. He and I are talking back and forth to try and work something out. Thanks.

bfinley
08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
I had a motor put in by the local Mastercraft dealer 3 years ago - also a '92 Prostar 205. It cost me $5900.

dan1
08-31-2009, 11:28 PM
That helps. Is that for just a pretty straight forward 351? or did you add any upgrades? Thank you.

Bert
08-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Why not just pull it yourself and have it rebuilt. Not hard and you can add some power

dan1
09-01-2009, 12:08 AM
I would screw it up for sure. I'm pretty good at a lot of things. Rebuilding motors is not one of them :) Especially marine ones. Right now I wish I was though.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Your situation sounds similar to mine. The boat I purchased had been repowered because the original engine had not been winterized and the block cracked. The previous owner re-used the exhaust manifolds but everything else was new. He kept getting water in his oil and finally gave up without figuring out the problem. I obtained the boat and discovered that both exhaust manifolds had internal cracks. Once I replaced the exhaust manifolds the problem was solved. No more water in the oil. I am not saying that this is your problem, but is sure sounds similar. Good luck.

Bert
09-01-2009, 12:35 AM
I would screw it up for sure. I'm pretty good at a lot of things. Rebuilding motors is not one of them :) Especially marine ones. Right now I wish I was though.

You don't have to be able to rebuild the engine, just remove and replace. We just did one in a 94 with a cracked block from freezing. Yanked it out and had an engine builder replace the block. Re used every thing but rings and bearings. Did it for 1800 bucks and it was easy.

dan1
09-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Your situation sounds similar to mine. The boat I purchased had been repowered because the original engine had not been winterized and the block cracked. The previous owner re-used the exhaust manifolds but everything else was new. He kept getting water in his oil and finally gave up without figuring out the problem. I obtained the boat and discovered that both exhaust manifolds had internal cracks. Once I replaced the exhaust manifolds the problem was solved. No more water in the oil. I am not saying that this is your problem, but is sure sounds similar. Good luck.
Thats what I'm hoping. I am calling the place that diagnosed it tomorrow, to get his take on things. I'm glad to hear it fixed the problem for you. Appreciate it.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-01-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm still pretty new to the inboard way of life but I have an extensive background in engines. From what I have learned, the most likely source of water in the oil is cracked exhaust manifolds. Good luck and make sure to update us when you get some more answers.

rholmes
09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I talked to this guy a couple of times and tried to help him out somewhat. I think his wife was putting a ton of pressure on him to scrap it since this was a bad dream turned nightmare. As previous posters have said, it could be as simple as a pair of $200 manifolds or yanking the motor and rebuilding with a donor short block and switching over the componets. I would think you could find someone to yank, replace and rebuild for less than $2500. Shop around, see what you can find. IIRC, it was a nice boat. even if you spent 5k on a new engine, a 92 205 is easily worth about 12-14 grand from what the market seems to reflect.

MCBarefoot311
09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Just to fill everyone in, yes I am the one dan1 is refering to that is selling the boat... As I have said all along, this dream of owning a Mastercraft has been short lived. It is unfortunate that I had to get this boat with the problems that I did, but I can assure everyone, I am not trying to screw anyone else into my problems.

I am a very honest person as I work in law enforcement and see everyday how someone's little lies turn into other peoples big nightmares! With out a doubt, this is a project for someone and if they know anything about Mastercrafts, this is a steal! I am just sinking well above my head at this point and just want to try to get enough money back to pay off my loan for the boat and move on in my life. And yes, alot of this has to do with my wife, but rightfully so, she deserves much more than a boat sitting in our yard over the entire summer.

Also to fill everyone in, the boat is currently listed on ebay. I have tried very hard selling the boat locally and the only thing I have gotten is alot of low ball offers from back yard mechanics looking to make a buck. Unfortunately for them, I am smarter than that, so the boat went on Ebay yesterday.

Dan1, I most certainly appreciate all of your questions and I hope that I answered them to the best of my ability. I know you seemed very reluctant over the phone about the issues and I most certainly understand your position. If this is something you decide you are willing to tackle, I will most certainly still honor my offer to you and pull the boat from Ebay. I am aslo more than willing to help you (physically) with the repairs over the winter months. My friend and I are very handy so it would not be much of an issue for me to help you replace the carpet and do the little things to the boat that are needed. The only thing that I ask in return is a promise to take me out on the boat next summer when you have it running right! 8p

Anyways, just wanted to clear the air with everyone and did not want everyone wondering who the mystery seller was. Everyone please pray though that I sell this boat before my wife goes crazy on me! Take care guys and dan1, I wish the best to you and your family. :)

MCBarefoot311
(Jeremy)

Muttley
09-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Seems sincere enough...

I paid $13,800 for my '92 PS205, so worst case: $7,000 for the boat, $5,900 for a new motor (that seems high... I got a quote for $5,000 CDN for one I was looking at) is $12,900. Good deal if the rest of the boat is in good shape. Better deal if the existing can be repaired.

Hours on the rest of the boat? Pics would be good.

(PS: I love my 205!)

MCBarefoot311
09-02-2009, 05:47 PM
The whole boat has 677 hours on it. And that I can verify because I had the mechanic trace the wiring on the hour meter to be sure it had never been cut or altered.

Here is a link to some pics:
http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1184554021/a=712786021_712786021/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

I wish someone would jump on this so I can get my wife off my back. I love the women to death but this boat is about to kill us both!

Take care guys,

Jeremy

MCBarefoot311
09-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Alright it took some work, but I finally figured out how to post pictures on here. I have attached pictures to my profile page, so anyone interested can now view the pictures under my profile without having to creat a snapfish account.

Price of the boat is now $7500. Team Mastercraft users will get a little discount off of that price, so we can try to keep this one in the family!

Also, a couple of guys were asking about shipping. I would be happy to ship the boat, but you are looking at on average about a $1 a mil according to some on this site. Call me and we can work something out.

MCBarefoot311
09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Ebay was a bust so the boat is still for sale. Thank you to all the guys on here that have shown some interest in the boat. I still have a little hope left with a couple of guys on here, so hopefully things will work out and we can get the boat sold.

My wife just got home from the beach and the first thing out of her mouth wasn't "Oh, it's good to see you, I missed you", it was, "You STILL haven't sold the boat yet?" Uggg, she is riding me hard about this one guys.

I think even after the boat is gone, this one will never be let go...

Thanks again guys for all the support!

MCBarefoot311

Muttley
09-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Patience, MC, ....Patience!!

It took me 3 months to sell my last I/O and another 3 months to find my baby (coincidentally a '92 PS205) . FWIW, after viewing the pics I think your price is right on. I'm sure you'll find the right buyer.

The two happiest days in a boater's life are the day he buys his first boat and the day he finally sells it.

Good luck!

Jesus_Freak
09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Ebay was a bust so the boat is still for sale. Thank you to all the guys on here that have shown some interest in the boat. I still have a little hope left with a couple of guys on here, so hopefully things will work out and we can get the boat sold.

My wife just got home from the beach and the first thing out of her mouth wasn't "Oh, it's good to see you, I missed you", it was, "You STILL haven't sold the boat yet?" Uggg, she is riding me hard about this one guys.

I think even after the boat is gone, this one will never be let go...

Thanks again guys for all the support!

MCBarefoot311

Man, after reading your sincere and honest explanations about your current position, I would most definitely buy it from you if I were in the market. However, I have a 94 205 that will never be replaced by another boat. I do feel for you.

MCBarefoot311
09-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Great news! Powerhouse is soon to be the new owner of my boat!

Thanks again guys for all the support on this. Hopefully one day I will be back again showing off another Mastercraft!

MCBarefoot311

rholmes
09-09-2009, 10:07 AM
congrats on the sale!