PDA

View Full Version : 1982 351w question

fx4x4
08-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi I just got my first boat... It is a 1982 MC
I have been searching the net but have not been able to find what I need any help would be great.

the secondaries on the holly carb are not kicking in , I have a good vacuum diaphram in the carb.... (may just be clogged)
BUT the vacuum advance DOES NOT have a line connected to it ...I have searched the motor and do not see where it would go...

Also the port on the carb riser goes to the valve cover, is that correct (because the carb would suck in blow by ,this will fowl plugs )

Also If any one can tell me what the proper model is of the boat ...
it is 19ft stars n stripes with the power slot trans and ford 351 winsor motor.

I am going to restore the boat and look forward to sharing any info I can and also would love to find out where to pick up the older interior trim parts like gauge trim and fuse box ext. thanks David

1redTA
08-31-2009, 04:30 PM
I have an 81 that is a 19 skier. My carb is doing the same a buddy who knows carbs says the bowls may be getting sucked dry (my 4 barrel is kicking in at 3/4 throttle). Good luck if I figure my problem out I'll let you know

TRBenj
08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
the secondaries on the holly carb are not kicking in , I have a good vacuum diaphram in the carb.... (may just be clogged)
BUT the vacuum advance DOES NOT have a line connected to it ...I have searched the motor and do not see where it would go...
Get us some pictures of what youre talking about. I assume youve verified that the secondary diaphragm is good, but I have no idea what you mean by "vacuum advance".

Also the port on the carb riser goes to the valve cover, is that correct (because the carb would suck in blow by ,this will fowl plugs )
There should be a PCV valve installed in the valve cover.

fx4x4
08-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Get us some pictures of what youre talking about. I assume youve verified that the secondary diaphragm is good, but I have no idea what you mean by "vacuum advance".

There should be a PCV valve installed in the valve cover.\\

Sorry the vacuum advance on the distributor (that advances the timing)

there Is a pcv valve so that is ok then

TMCNo1
08-31-2009, 07:56 PM
\\

Sorry the vacuum advance on the distributor (that advances the timing)

there Is a pcv valve so that is ok then

Sorry, but there is no vacuum advance on your marine distributor, just the weights and spring that do the job. Your carb does have vacuum secondaries, not mechanical.

fx4x4
08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
okay so it is just a non functioning dummy.....where is the vacuum pulled to open the secondaries

TCrate
08-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Sorry but the secondaries in the carburetor are opened internally through a small passageway in the carburetor. It could be clogged. Seeing as you have not owned the boat long, it would be hard to tell if it ever worked. However, you can change the spring in the vacuum pod right next to the Choke on the carb. If you go to a lighter spring it will open sooner. If you take that secondary vacuum pod off you can blow out that passage to make sure it is clear. Run some carb cleaner down it. When you pull off the vacuum unit you will see the passage. Also be very careful you do not lose the spring and ball in that unit.

TMCNo1
08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
okay so it is just a non functioning dummy.....where is the vacuum pulled to open the secondaries

That's a street distributor and not intended for a boat.
Holley may have the answer on the vacuum secondaries if it's not the horizontal vacuum diaphram behind the choke.

WilliM1940
08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
If you have a 4160, it is ported through the carb body coming from the back of the diaphram actuator bolted to the side. There is a small rubber cork gasket sealing the orifice between the two. Your distributor may be automotive and should be replaced with a prestolite marine (spark arresting).

TCrate
08-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Sorry but the secondaries in the carburetor are opened internally through a small passageway in the carburetor. It could be clogged. Seeing as you have not owned the boat long, it would be hard to tell if it ever worked. However, you can change the spring in the vacuum pod right next to the Choke. You can see there is a round pod on the right rear of the carburetor that has a rubber diaphragm and spring in it. There are four screws that hold it on. If you go to a lighter spring, the secondaries will open sooner. Spring sets can be bought through Holley or at any auto parts store. If you take that secondary vacuum pod off you can blow out that passage to make sure it is clear. Run some carb cleaner down it. When you pull off the vacuum unit you will see the passage. Also be very careful you do not lose the spring and ball in that unit. They are located in the corner where the passage way is.

That vacuum on the distributor is not related to the secondaries on the carburetor opening up. I doubt there was ever a vacuum advance on the original distributor. Someone must have changed the distributor. Good Luck.

fx4x4
09-01-2009, 12:40 AM
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO...man that is good stuff.... any recomendations on the part # of the distributor. and is it a left hand or right hand gear