PDA

View Full Version : Remove Broken Manifold Bolt

Kummer
08-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Any one have any tips for removing a broken bolt? The head of the bolt twisted off! :mad: I tried to drill it out but no luck yet.

justinglow
08-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Did you break it on the riser or the engine (head) side?

Kummer
08-30-2009, 10:09 PM
No I left the risers attached and was removing the manifold from the head. argg I got all the other bolts out. Tried to remove this one and the head just twisted off! So I took out the drill and tried to drill it out... not working well.

Monte
08-30-2009, 10:15 PM
pricey, but it will do the job.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306057_200306057

Mr_Woodcock
08-31-2009, 12:51 AM
I used a craftsman drill out kit for a broken head bolt on a Johnson outboard. Works great! Good luck

Kummer
08-31-2009, 09:14 AM
I like the craftsman drill out kit but I am worried that the drill out will break off then I am hosed... Is this something to be concerned with? Or should I just go with it ?

JimN
08-31-2009, 09:21 AM
No I left the risers attached and was removing the manifold from the head. argg I got all the other bolts out. Tried to remove this one and the head just twisted off! So I took out the drill and tried to drill it out... not working well.

I don't know what kind of drill bits you have but if it's not going in, try a Cobalt or industrial bit Don't fall for the BS selling of titanium coated drill buts. The majority can be bent with bare hands because they're really cheap (read crappy). Home Depot and Sears sell decent bits if that's what you have nearby and they're not terribly expensive. If the bolt is flat where the head came off, use a good center punch to give yourself a stable place to start drilling.

Don't worry about titanium but if they have cobalt bits, they will go into almost anything.

Mr_Woodcock
08-31-2009, 11:47 AM
X2 on the Cobalt bits....

JimN
08-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Sears also has some that contain Titanium Nitride, which is the only way I would buy a drill bit that uses titanium. I have a set that I bought in 2000 and I have drilled fiberglass, stainless, mild steel, cast iron, brass, aluminum- you name it. The ones that are dark yellow and only have a Ti coating are crap. Once it has been sharpened, any supposed benefits are gone.

CameronCarey
08-31-2009, 12:20 PM
X2 on the craftsman drill out kit.........sometimes adding a little heat to the head while cooling the stud with air or water can help the situation along too

mayo93prostar
08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
you said you broke the head of the bolt off. can you get the manifold off such that the shank of the bolt is exposed and you can get visegrips on it?

Jerseydave
08-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Try reverse cobalt drill bits (Mac tools and Snap-on have them) because sometimes by drilling in reverse the bit may start to turn the broken bolt out.

For extractors, try these
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200396167_200396167

Avoid the tapered ones, they only spread the broken piece making it even tighter in the hole and harder to get out.

Kummer
09-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Excellent info guys! I wanted to report back and let you all know that after going through all my drill bits I ended up getting the thing off. I had to pound tap and take my time but it worked. The bolt was seized in the manafold but the threads were not locked up in the head. With a lot of work and rocking back and forth the bolt broke leaving enough to uncrew the rest. Amazing. I do appreicate all the input! I will have to invest in some cobalt bits thanks Jim and I will also be going to Northern for an extractor kit....

JimN
09-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Excellent info guys! I wanted to report back and let you all know that after going through all my drill bits I ended up getting the thing off. I had to pound tap and take my time but it worked. The bolt was seized in the manafold but the threads were not locked up in the head. With a lot of work and rocking back and forth the bolt broke leaving enough to uncrew the rest. Amazing. I do appreicate all the input! I will have to invest in some cobalt bits thanks Jim and I will also be going to Northern for an extractor kit....

Cool- look for cobalt or titanium nitride (Sears). The main reason fro using these is that both are the same material throughout instead of being coated, like the yellow titanium cheap ones. That means they can be sharpened (never get them red hot) with good results.

Mr_Woodcock
09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Good Job! Knew it would work out for you....

boofer
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
njskier, how do yo use those extractors? Just curious. No broken bolt problems at this time, lol.