PDA

View Full Version : Am I having fuel pump problems?

rem_pss308
08-29-2009, 09:30 PM
1999 X-star with LTR 350 with 330 HP

Motor idles fine.
when under a load ( pulling a rider )
when I get to 3000-3100 rpms the motor dies, sometimes backfires, but doesnt shut off.
after doing this when I let the throttle off. the motor idles real high for a few moments, then goes back to normal.

Im thinking that my fuel pump is not pumping enough, or maybe fuel filter.

is this typical behavior for this problem?

could it be possible that its the spark arrestor needs cleaning.

Plugs, wires, and all four coil pacs are less than a year old.

Does any one know what the fuel pressure should be when checked?

rem_pss308
08-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Took the fuel filter out today. it was nasty. blew it out with blower. reistalled it. but it still does the same thing.
took the plugs out and looked at them. they were good.

Fuel pump assembly says 40 psi.

Ill try to get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure.

( the hose in the fuel pump was not kinked )

Jim@BAWS
08-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Change the FUEL Filter by the pump...a SILVER cannaster

Remove the FUEL Pump and remove the small screen on the bottom. You will be a dental
pick.

Try that

Jim@BAWS

rem_pss308
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Replaced the fuel filter today.

Still does the same thing....:(

Will get a gauge and check the fuel pressure this weekend.

When I reved the engine in neutral. it didnt cut out until about 4000-4200 rpms.

could it be electrical?

Bad spark plug wire. ( even though they are less than a year old )

ECM ?

Jim@BAWS
09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
"Remove the FUEL Pump and remove the small screen on the bottom"

Jim@BAWS

TX.X-30 fan
09-01-2009, 04:32 PM
80 bucks and you got a new pump, I would do that before I ever changed the filter. Just push the valve on the rail and see it it squirts gas.

rem_pss308
09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
:(
Still no luck.

took the screen out of the fuel pump. still does it.

Bought a fuel pressure gauge.

40 psi at key turn on.

42 psi at half throttle

42 psi at 4500 and 5000 rpms

with no load, in neutral. it starts skipping at about 4500 prms. fuel pressure never goes low?

after the skipping, when I put at idle it revs high about 1200 rpms.

I need ideas.

How can I check something else?

Its driving me crazy.

Ive had the plugs in it over the summer and no problems. They are NGK

The owners manuel calls for ac MR43LTST

Could they have broken down?

rem_pss308
09-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Checked the coil pacs today, and one of them had some rust where the spark plug wire connects to it. So replaced it. others looked good.
Changed the plugs with AC plugs that the owners manuel called for.

still stalls after 3500 rpms, then stays reved up for a breif moment when I put it back to neutral.

Anyone have any ideas?

rem_pss308
09-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Found some corrosion on the plugs going to the ECM and cleaned them the best I could. Boat is running better, but still cuts out at full throttle. has slight misfire at 3200 prms, but doesnt bog anymore. Bogs at full throttle.

rem_pss308
09-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Seems like its fixed.

Changed the coil packs, and the heat/cool sensor that sends the signal to the ECM.
ran like a champ yesterday.

JimN
09-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Remove the FUEL Pump and remove the small screen on the bottom. You will be a dental
pick.

Jim@BAWS

Is the part in bold type supposed to be an insult?

jwp1504
03-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Hey mate,

Thanks for your thread.. My 2000 X Star starting doing this on the weekend. I hit 3600rpm and it misses and carries on.

Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUXfXdh09Q

So you reckon if i change the coil packs i'll be sweet??

ricford
03-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Looks like you answered all your own questions. Glad you posted, though. It will probably help someone else.

BallBushing
03-11-2013, 11:39 PM
I had the same problem with my 1999 LTR 330 hp in a Maristar. Turned out to be debris in the transmission cooler screen. Ran ok at low rpm but did not allow enough water at high rpm to cool the engine / transmission (still not sure which) and the engine would shut down down. Temp gauge never indicated overheating. Remove the hose and clean out the weeds, only took a bottle cap amount to cause the problem.

JimN
03-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Hey mate,

Thanks for your thread.. My 2000 X Star starting doing this on the weekend. I hit 3600rpm and it misses and carries on.

Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUXfXdh09Q

So you reckon if i change the coil packs i'll be sweet??

Reckoning isn't a good way to fix things and it makes the process very expensive.

Did you measure the fuel pressure and check for A) signal to the Ignition Control Module on the purple/white wire (WITHOUT piercing the insulation) or B) checking the quality of spark?

This could be a problem with the crank sensors, if you have the LTR. Run it under load when you do any testing- running it in neutral isn't going to give you the answers you need. I used to see that dip all the time on TBI engines and it usually was due to a clogged fuel filter or bad pump.

mwg
03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
This could be a problem with the crank sensors, if you have the LTR.

Just curious, is the crank sensor specific to the Indmar engine or is it the same as the crank sensor found in a similar year GM vehicle?

Thanks

JimN
03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Just curious, is the crank sensor specific to the Indmar engine or is it the same as the crank sensor found in a similar year GM vehicle?

Thanks

Standard GM parts, but check them according to the manual- if they're dirty or mis-adjusted, they can cause problems, too. Pull one plug at a time and make sure they aren't dirty/corroded. If you do need new ones, verify the part number and make sure you mark the plugs so they go on the correct sensor- if they're swapped, it won't run at all.

jwp1504
03-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi guys,

I have started a new thread...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=915445#post915445

I have uploaded videos of the dash

Both videos are in gear but the speedo isn't working in one of the vidoes