PDA

View Full Version : Ski Platform Rip out

jayderwin1
06-06-2005, 09:35 AM
This weekend i was out on the lake and i went to jump of the platform and it ripped the screws right out of the transom, so i took it home and pulled out the gas tank and there is no way to get to the screws bad design by master craft has any one had this problem its a 86 PS 190?
and if so what did you do about it? i moved the bracket in towards the center of the boat with fresh holes but it still does not feel that sturdy.

tph
06-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I have an '83. It sounds like the '86 is put together the same as mine. 8 lag bolts into the transom. They probably did this because the other side of the mounting location is below the floorboard which is not accessable. Prethreaded plates glassed onto the hull would have been much better. My platform is still very solid, but I'm sure enough stress would result in a failure. Now that you've drilled new holes, where is the flex? The glass?, brackets? or ?

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I had this same problem on my 79 8 lag bolts through the transom. I canged to a teak board and used brackets. I have a 6"X6" steel backer plate holding my bolts now. No lag bolts stainless machine bolts. I have had three guys totaling about 500# on mine and not so much as a pop out of it.

jayderwin1
06-06-2005, 11:28 AM
it feels like its in the glass i am hoping it will settle in a little bit then stay put. if it breaks again i will probably cut 2 2" holes in the floor board and put a metal plate on the inside of the transom and use a nut and bolt system. like master craft should have done in the first place.

jayderwin1
06-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Jeremy did you have to cut holes in the floor board?

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I agree that it should have been done that way in the first place but, hey that gives us something to do. (like we need something else)

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Jeremy did you have to cut holes in the floor board?

No I had my floor and gas tank out for the restoration. It was just an easy time to replace.