PDA

View Full Version : Changing Fuel / Water separator

Ben
06-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Planning to change fuel water separator soon. I tried last year, and when I loosened it, fuel started coming out, so I tightened it back up & left it go.

Anyone ever changed this? How can I get the fuel not to come out, or does it stop after a little bit?

Also, after the change, I'm guessing to turn key to "ON" a few times to prime / pressure the system back up. Correct?

thanks

MarkP
06-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I would think the gas would stop flowing after the pressure was relieved. I donít have the FI so my change of that part will be different than yours. I used a Tupperware container under the filter to help with overflow.

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Why not just put a pair of vice-grips on the line to clamp it shut??

jsonova99
06-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Why not just put a pair of vice-grips on the line to clamp it shut??

Good idea. I just did this a few weeks ago, and the fuel (atleast for me with 3/4 of tank) did not stop flowing. I dumped close to a gallon by the time I was done, and the gas started to eat the silicone sealand around the tracking fin bolts. Biggest mess I have ever had to clean up. I would definitely find a way to clamp or plug the fuel line coming into the separator before you start taking it apart.

ski_king
06-06-2005, 09:43 AM
There should be a anti siphon valve in the tank. Not sure about the fuel injected setup though.
You should not lose too much gas, only what is in the line. Be ready with some rags and BE CAREFUL!

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 10:00 AM
somone may correct me if I'm wrong, but clamp the line before you start to take anything off and you should not loose any pressure.

east tx skier
06-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Mine has the anti-siphon valve, apparently. I swapped mine and didn't lose a drop out of the line (just whatever spilled from the filter).

G-man
06-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I open up a plastic bag and surround the filter - fuel or oil to catch anything that leaks. Keeps the bilge clean.

ski_king
06-06-2005, 12:25 PM
I open up a plastic bag and surround the filter - fuel or oil to catch anything that leaks. Keeps the bilge clean.
Good idea, but be sure it isnt one of those child safe bags that have small breathing holes in them. Don't ask me how I know this.

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 12:31 PM
experiance??

G-man
06-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Sorry I use glad bags storage size so they wrap around filter.

Ben
06-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Changed it last night w/o problems, maybe fule pressure relaxed over the winter. If that's the case, looks like spring is the time to change these things.... I did use an aluminum pan (drip pan from Weber grill) under it to catch the little bit of fuel that ran off the top of the separator, worked great. The lines seemed to big & firm to pich w/vise grips, I was afraid I would damage them.

Although it would have been nice if MC spaced the housing more than 1/8" from side of bilge, to make it easier to get filter wrench on... Replacement part (from dealer) was also a bit shorter, which will help with removal of 2nd one.

Thanks for the help.

MarkP
06-07-2005, 08:36 AM
At least the kids are safeGood idea, but be sure it isnt one of those child safe bags that have small breathing holes in them. Don't ask me how I know this.

amcmac
10-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Where is the fuel/water separator on a RTP-1 197?

bigmac
10-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Where is the fuel/water separator on a RTP-1 197?It doesn't have one.

titleist93mc
10-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Sorry to jump in mid-thread, but for some reason I have had a terribly hard time getting my spin-on filter off. Anyone have a "best" solution? I am going with a ratchet and filter wrench on my next attempt. I have a 93 with the 351. Also, forgive my newbness - but should this be something I change each season - or just periodically? Thanks guys.

JD