PDA

View Full Version : transmission problem. any ideas

dizzy8085
08-27-2009, 08:55 AM
2001 x star.
Had an oil cooler leak and the fluid was milky because of this.
Replaced the cooler and flushed the transmission.
Now the boat wont go into gear unless the motors warm.
Any time it sits for any amount of time you have to wait for the motor to get warm before it will go in gear. Forward or reverse.
Once it's warm, it's as if there are no problems at all. No slipping or anything like that.
Any ideas?

Topless67
09-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Hello,

I'm having the same problem with my 02 X Star.

It's been great all season up to last weekend when I found milky pink liquid in my bilge and milky pink liquid on my dipstick for the Hurth VDrive.

I do NOT see any leaks from any of the high pressure hydraulic hoses to and from the tranny nor do I see any leaks at the oil/tranny cooler.

I tried to vaccum out any remaining water/ATF from the vdrive but it is pretty much empty of all ATF.

My MC dealer thinks it is the rear seal that leads to the prop shaft and has quoted me $2500 to pull the engine and tranny to replace the seal - MC dealer claims you cannot or it is extremely difficult to pull the tranny with the engine in place.

When you had your leaking problem, how much ATF did you lose?

How did you flush the tranny?

Do you think you clutch pack was damaged by the moisture and this is why it is difficult to shift cold?

Did you replace with ATF or 15W-40 motor oil as recommended by MC?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

hkallestad
09-02-2009, 05:54 AM
2001 x star.
Had an oil cooler leak and the fluid was milky because of this.
Replaced the cooler and flushed the transmission.
Now the boat wont go into gear unless the motors warm.
Any time it sits for any amount of time you have to wait for the motor to get warm before it will go in gear. Forward or reverse.
Once it's warm, it's as if there are no problems at all. No slipping or anything like that.
Any ideas?

Did you put in enough oil? On my borg warner the oil level is to be checked right after a warm motor shutdown before the oil drains back from the cooler. So if you put in oil when cold the dipstick should read above max level.

dizzy8085
09-04-2009, 04:42 AM
The oil was changed and flushed right.
The guy who works on my boat thinks the tranny filter might be clogged up.
He's checking it out and I'll post it that was the problem.