PDA

View Full Version : wakeboard reccomendations

deereman
08-26-2009, 10:42 PM
i'm 15 y.o., about 6' and 180 lbs. what kind of wake board would you reccomend for me. i've never done it before but i've heard hyperlites are pretty good boards. I wear a size 11 shoe if that matters as well. Don't know much about them and looking for an experts advice. Thanks in advance.

erkoehler
08-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Check out the Ronix Vault :)

coz
08-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Liquid Force Trip, no other board manufacturers model can match the longetivity of the trip, through the years the only thing that's changed is the graphics, no need for improvement :headbang:

http://www.bbsboardsports.com/images/liquid-force-trip-index-pac.jpg

MCRambo1
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Hyperlites are good boards, with a lot of variety. Being a beginner I would check out something in the 138-142 range for size of board. The state or the forefront in hyperlite are great boards for beginners because they have toeside and heelside specific edges so you can get a little better tracking when trying toeside jumps. They are great boards that help you progress more easily.

COZ, you're right, the trip is a great board, it was the first good board I owned. I'd try this one out as well, if i were you deereman.

The best advice I can give you is get one about the size I specified previously, and see if you can demo any of them to see which you like the best. For learning I would suggest you get one that has a center fin, those with just the side fins are a lot looser and feel like a banana peel when you're learning. Any board company is going to have a couple good boards.

What kind of boat do you own?

ttu
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Hyperlites are good boards, with a lot of variety. Being a beginner I would check out something in the 138-142 range for size of board. The state or the forefront in hyperlite are great boards for beginners because they have toeside and heelside specific edges so you can get a little better tracking when trying toeside jumps. They are great boards that help you progress more easily.

COZ, you're right, the trip is a great board, it was the first good board I owned. I'd try this one out as well, if i were you deereman.

The best advice I can give you is get one about the size I specified previously, and see if you can demo any of them to see which you like the best. For learning I would suggest you get one that has a center fin, those with just the side fins are a lot looser and feel like a banana peel when you're learning. Any board company is going to have a couple good boards.

will have to agree with the hyperlite state. my son rode one for 2 years. he know rides a ronix one with cwb answer bindings.:D

coz
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM

They actually did do a couple small improvements to the trip like the outside fins are molded not screw in now and the tail is a little fuller.

deereman
08-27-2009, 04:57 PM
MCRambo we have an 87 prostar 190, which i know is by know means a wakeboard boat, but i love to slalom, and have never wakeboarded in my life. i just want a good-fitting and stable board that won't cost $500. are the types of bindings you get very important or are they pretty much universal?

GNAT87
08-28-2009, 12:51 AM
CWB Pure would be a good choice also. CWB Vapor or Torq bindings. Its hard to beat CWB bindings with the hinge tech

MCRambo1
09-15-2009, 01:22 PM
MCRambo we have an 87 prostar 190, which i know is by know means a wakeboard boat, but i love to slalom, and have never wakeboarded in my life. i just want a good-fitting and stable board that won't cost $500. are the types of bindings you get very important or are they pretty much universal?

As long as your rockin the MC emblem i have no qualms.
If the boards just for you, I would get some bindings that fit you perfectly, just for comfort's sake. If not, a universal size would work. Most of the entry level setups come with board and bindings, and are usually under $500.

coz
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Here's a good place to compair prices and get one too http://www.the-house.com/wakec-all.html

rholmes
09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
I know my local overtons is selling the Trip in 138 and 141 size with decent bindings for $300 plus tax. That is a fairly good deal.

Hoosier Bob
09-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Play Football!:D

Jerseydave
09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
My son (16) started on a Trip, and I started on an EVO. The trip is a good board, but once you ride something better you'll forget about the trip.

With that said, I now ride a Watson and my son rides the new Lyman. Both are considered boards for "advanced riders" which we are not, and there is no reason that someone cannot start out on one of these "advanced" boards and stick with it instead of starting with a beginner board and upgrading a year later. You'll save money in the long run. (look for deals on the '08 models, same board with different graphics)

Bindings mean alot, so try some out to see what you think is most comfortable. I used to have the LF Sphynx binding until I got my Watsons binding......wow what a difference.
My son has the Shanes, really nice and comfy as well.

Demo some gear if you can, or try out a friends gear.

For the record, I like the Lyman board better than the Watson. Best features of everything!

FrankSchwab
09-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I just bought a Hyperlite State 145 (5'10" and way too heavy) for our trip to Lake Powell this year after reading a lot of threads here on wakeboard recommendations. If the local shop had a Trip, I would have been all over it, but the State is what they had and has been well-recommended here in the past.

I am essentially a complete novice - I've gotten up once or twice on a friend's board, but always felt out-of-control.

I got up first pull on the State, and immediately felt comfortable. I even finished my first run with 2" of air off the wake - intentionally, and landed it successfully. I don't know enough to give it more of a review than that, but it certainly worked great for me.

/frank

KHall
09-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Liquid Force PS3 is a really nice board.

Ben
09-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd check craigslist if you are near a major metro area. Yo ushould be able to get a 400-500 setup that's a few years old for 1/2 price (or less) to see if you like it.

deereman
09-15-2009, 11:05 PM
i saw some hyperlites at a local sports shop for around $300 and didnt know if this was cheap garbage or a decent board. looked pretty decent and well-made to me.

hoosier bob, i hear that a lot, but if i played football, that would be about a month less of boating and skiiing--the watersports outweigh the sports by quite a bit

mpabreo
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Buy a hyperlite, they have lifetime warranties and great customer service. Length should be 138-140. get a 3 fin board (on each end) this will help with tracking, balance, and landings. As you progress, remove the middle fin and you'll be able to slide surface tricks with ease. I've been riding for less than a year, and started out on an intermediate class board. Rode it for 1 month and jumped to pro models. I've found that the higher end boards have helped me progress faster. If you plan to get good, I'd get something you can grow into cause boarding equipment aint cheap.

As for the brand, to be honest, they're all comparable. They all make great boards, and have boards for different sizes and levels, I mentioned hyperlite due to customer service. Its really all that stands out in my mind. That and the fact that CWB makes great bindings. Other than that you cant go wrong with any of the majors.

wakesurfer
10-07-2009, 08:36 PM
All boards arent equal, most are made overseas, to my astonishment liquid force is made in arab emirates? hyperlite made in indonesia? weird they are all muslim countries..Ronix is not made in USA either!.
For God's sake buy stuff that is made in USA : Gator Boards for example. I think CWB, Company, and I think Slingshot.