PDA

View Full Version : Speedometers Not Working

RickDV
06-05-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm new to Team Talk and new to Mastercraft. I just picked up a 1990 Prostar 190 and love the boat. Problem is that neither speedometer is working. I checked the intake pitots and they seem to be clear, at least immediately at the opening. I suspect that it is something other than a clogged intake since neither speedometer works.

Any suggestions??

BTW - while we are talking about speedometers...why are there two of them on my ProStar?

RickDV

east tx skier
06-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Welcome, Richard.

If they're not clogged, they might have frozen somewhere up the line. I'd give unclogging another shot. I usually get in there with a needle and it clears them right up. There are two because, at the time, that was required for tournament accuracy (pre speed control). If one failed, the other could be consulted.

PeteS
06-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the site, Rick. If you've noticed any excess water in the boat, a line could have become disconnected someplace.

Between the pick-up, and the speedo, there are 3 potential places where the lines coule have come disconnected. Entering the ballast resovoir, exiting the ballast resovoir, and entering the speedo itself. You may want to investigate that also if you are noticing water in boat as I said before. Best of luck!

ski_king
06-06-2005, 10:05 AM
You might want to try disconnecting the hose from the speedo and blowing air from the lines from the front back with and without the pickup attached.

peason
06-06-2005, 10:27 AM
I have done the same thing that PowerSlot82 suggests on my 84 Nautique and it helped. I just disconected the tubes on the back of the speedo and used a bicycle pump to blow air through the line. Once in while driving the boat you may get debris clogging one of the pickups, either clean by had or put the boat into reverse to unclog.
Good luck

RickDV
06-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the posts everyone. PeteS mentions extra water in the boat and I have noticed more water than I think should be there. Being new to inboards, I am unsure what is excessive. I will take a look at this as well as trying to blow some air through the lines.

JB3
06-11-2005, 12:51 AM
One of my speedo's was not working and turned out to be the ballast.
The top of the ballast was coming apart, therefore more water in the boat. For the time being, I bypassed the ballast and the speedo works fairly accurate. I will eventually replace the ballast.

erkoehler
06-11-2005, 01:03 AM
You should always have some water in the bilge as the transmission will constantly drip which is OK! Excessive water would be if your bilge comes on anytime during the first day of skiing unless you take water in over the bow, or have a TON of skis/skiers in the boat soaking wet.

I have had the boat in the water for 9 hours straight, skiing/footin with people in and out all day, and there wasn't enough water in the bilge for it to kick on at the end of the night.

Bongo
06-11-2005, 01:55 AM
Hey Rick, Welcome aboard.

"...why are there two of them on my ProStar?" Just in case one gets plugged. It appears you need at least three! :-)

...Entering the ballast resovoir, exiting the ballast resovoir, and entering the speedo itself. ...

I have an '89 and suspect mine are in the same place as yours. Lift out the back seat; should be pretty light. Take off the panels on each side from where the back seat was sitting; should be two or three stainless steel screws. Look at the rubber hose going in from the bottom and coming out the top of each ballast. Reattach. Enjoy two speedometer readings that you didn't have before the exercise. In total, this should take you less than a half hour to accomplish with a big Philips screw driver, a pliers and a couple cold beers.

My strong guess is the above will solve your problem. If not, you likely have holes in your tubing (water frozen in the line?) or bad ballasts. Even these you might check by taking out the back seat and side panels, and running the boat at cruising speed to pick up where the water is dripping.

Bongo

Cloaked
06-11-2005, 07:06 AM
You should always have some water in the bilge as the transmission will constantly drip which is OK! Excessive water would be if your bilge comes on anytime during the first day of skiing unless you take water in over the bow, or have a TON of skis/skiers in the boat soaking wet.

I have had the boat in the water for 9 hours straight, skiing/footin with people in and out all day, and there wasn't enough water in the bilge for it to kick on at the end of the night.Erik, I don't get it... Help me understand about the "always having water " concept and a "dripping transmission" being OK. Maybe I'm not seeing your point of view.... ???

T Scott
06-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Erik, I don't get it... Help me understand about the "always having water " concept and a "dripping transmission" being OK. Maybe I'm not seeing your point of view.... ???

I think he means there will always be a little water in the bilge because the packing where the shaft goes through the bottom of the hull will always drip slightly which lubricates it. I think when he says "transmission dripping" he means "packing dripping". Just my best guess at what he means, Im sure he'll clarify.

erkoehler
06-11-2005, 07:45 AM
There is a drip rate set on the transmission, which allows water to drip into the boat through the trans for lubrication. Atleast, that is what I was told???

Otherwise, we can classify the drip rate as the number of wet people in the boat! :D :banana:

erkoehler
06-11-2005, 07:45 AM
I think he means there will always be a little water in the bilge because the packing where the shaft goes through the bottom of the hull will always drip slightly which lubricates it. I think when he says "transmission dripping" he means "packing dripping". Just my best guess at what he means, Im sure he'll clarify.

You got it....

Cloaked
06-11-2005, 08:06 AM
I see the point here with further explanation.

However, I do not have a dripping packing gland. Never have and hopefully never will. Packing isn't supposed to drip, as far as I know....(speaking from my work environment).

I have seen a boat that took on water through an unsecured top deck to hull. A friend used to take on water at slower speeds and as it turned out, the boat was taking on water through the deck-to-hull point, near the rear of the boat as the water rolled up across this point at slower speeds.

I do understand the drip rate of wet people in the boat (DRWPITB) though... :D

My bilge is dry 99% of the time other than the DRWPITB or when I wash it out.

Thanks for the info though... It's all good....

Erik, from what I gather from your quiteness here, you boat is up and running well.

If you're still having problems I have ran into your scenario a few years back. Lemme know and I'll try to shoot you a PM or a phone call...

Brian
06-11-2005, 08:15 AM
any ideas on 2 electric speedometers that don't work?

erkoehler
06-11-2005, 12:14 PM
I see the point here with further explanation.

However, I do not have a dripping packing gland. Never have and hopefully never will. Packing isn't supposed to drip, as far as I know....(speaking from my work environment).

I have seen a boat that took on water through an unsecured top deck to hull. A friend used to take on water at slower speeds and as it turned out, the boat was taking on water through the deck-to-hull point, near the rear of the boat as the water rolled up across this point at slower speeds.

I do understand the drip rate of wet people in the boat (DRWPITB) though... :D

My bilge is dry 99% of the time other than the DRWPITB or when I wash it out.

Thanks for the info though... It's all good....

Erik, from what I gather from your quiteness here, you boat is up and running well.

If you're still having problems I have ran into your scenario a few years back. Lemme know and I'll try to shoot you a PM or a phone call...

I am actually working this weekend in the mornings, but should be out on the boat this eveningl

RickDV
06-12-2005, 03:48 PM
So it turns out that both of my ballast tubes were bad. I got new ones from the dealer and have them installed. Now if the thunderstorms would decide to give it up I will get the boat on the water and give it a try.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

AHUNTER
06-24-2005, 01:30 AM
My 90 tristar has two needles on the on the speedometer gauge, both have knobs that that will move the needles. In my case, propulsion of the water craft down the lake at varying speeds has had no impact on the position of the needles. Is this what you mean by having 2 speedos that don't work?

PeteS
06-24-2005, 08:58 AM
My 90 tristar has two needles on the on the speedometer gauge, both have knobs that that will move the needles. In my case, propulsion of the water craft down the lake at varying speeds has had no impact on the position of the needles. Is this what you mean by having 2 speedos that don't work?
You'd assume that's what he meant. In this era boat, the mechanics behind the speedo operation are simple. The pick-up is an inlet for water to reach the guage during travel.

Once the water reaches the speedo, after the ballast resovoir, it's never released however, the increases and decreases in pressures (from boat speed) causes the needle to move. Again, simple operation, but if there is somehow a pressure release in the lines or resovoir, or clog in your pick-up, your guage won't be at all accurate. It's a mechanical operation. Hope that helps! Congrats on fixing the problem, RickDV.

Brian
06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
let me ty to better explain. When i bought the boat it came w 2 seperate electric speedometers...teleflex 13360P....w/ 2 individual pin wheel type pitots in the water. not the hydraulic types i'm familiar with. they light up at night so i know their getting power. but they don't work. the needles don't move.I was just wondering if anyone on the site has experience with this type of speedometer and maybe the fix. I'll probably be switching over to the teleflex sterling line of gauges at the end of the season, so it's really not a big deal. thank you. :headbang:

Brian

Hoosier Bob
06-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Ballast tubes will freeze and crack. Two speedo's is for two reasons. Backup is good but most usefull is on a river. Your speed up river and down river will differ. Therefore you will need to set up a speedo with your timer for up river and down river. The river will move but the course will not. Left down and right up or what have you. Where I used to ski we had 2-3 MPH difference. I guess you could run 2-3 mph more up or down but it always seemed better to focus on an up and down speedo that was registering the correct speed. That's what I have always believed anyway!So it turns out that both of my ballast tubes were bad. I got new ones from the dealer and have them installed. Now if the thunderstorms would decide to give it up I will get the boat on the water and give it a try.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

RickDV
06-28-2005, 12:38 PM
I had my boat winterized by my MC dealer last fall. But they claim that properly working speedos do not have water in the ballast tubes. So they do not drain them and do not even check them as part of the winterization package. Is it a coincident that they have a good supply of $28 ballast tubes ready to sell in the spring??

PeteS
06-28-2005, 01:02 PM
I had my boat winterized by my MC dealer last fall. But they claim that properly working speedos do not have water in the ballast tubes. So they do not drain them and do not even check them as part of the winterization package. Is it a coincident that they have a good supply of $28 ballast tubes ready to sell in the spring??
That's an interesting claim from your dealer, Rick. As I stated in an ealier post, there is a constant water supply to the speedometers. It was my assumption that the ballast resovoirs serve as pressure regulators so the speedo needle isn't jumpy from small changes in pressure. But who knows, I guess I could always be wrong!

LakePirate
06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
I had to fix one of my speedos because the hose had come lose from the ballast. While I had the dash off I re-fiberglassed the holes from the dash panel as they had become boogered up. Well don't you know it that the hose has come off on the speedo end. Now I have to take the dash back off and reconnect the hose....does it ever stop?...wait I know that answer..NO.

malchish
07-05-2005, 11:05 AM
I’d like to share my experience. I’ve just fixed one speedometer (another worked) on my 93 Prostar 190. It’s important to know - they are clearly mechanical devices, and work without electrical power. Thanks to PeteS for his explanation, it helped me to find my problem, just a little remark for troubleshooting: water does not reach the speedometer, if it works correctly, just compressed air. So RickDV, if the hose on your boat was damaged between the reservoir and the speedometer, the reservoir would be full of water, and I think your dealer is right. So I disconnected hose from the reservoir (the top end) and blew air to the hose to see how the needle reacts. It worked, and the hose and speedometer do not loose the pressure. I blew air to the top end of the reservoir and asked my wife to watch bubbles from the pickup – also looked fine, but the speedometer still does not work. I unscrewed the pickup and found a crack on a tiny plastic pipe from the pickup, which is used for hose connection. Actually I broke it completely, while I was disconnecting the pickup. I found that a cartridge from a ballpoint pen perfectly fits the hole in the pickup and the hose. The rest was simple. It took me less than 2 hours to complete the job, and I did not take the boat from the water. If the line is not damaged, probably the best solution came from Powerslot82.

malchish
07-06-2005, 10:50 AM
let me ty to better explain. When i bought the boat it came w 2 seperate electric speedometers...teleflex 13360P....w/ 2 individual pin wheel type pitots in the water. not the hydraulic types i'm familiar with. they light up at night so i know their getting power. but they don't work. the needles don't move.I was just wondering if anyone on the site has experience with this type of speedometer and maybe the fix. I'll probably be switching over to the teleflex sterling line of gauges at the end of the season, so it's really not a big deal. thank you. :headbang:

Brian
Brian, I’m not familiar with particular your type of speedometers, but I’m designing electro-mechanical systems, and might give you some tips. Lighting up your speedos at night does not mean they are getting power – just a bulb gets power. Your gauge should have at least 4 wires (if you are sure your speedo is electrical) – two for the bulb and at least two (might be more) from the device, which transforms water pressure (or water flow) into electric current. Check all the connectors on the gauge and on the device – it is the weakest part. I’ve never heard of the “wheel type pitot”, and don’t know how to check the mechanical part, but you definitely want to do it.