PDA

View Full Version : Powerturns

Jerseydave
08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Ok, so like every body of water ours has its share of drivers doing powerturns to pick-up a fallen rider/skier. We all know how frustrating this can be when it wrecks the butter.

I'd like to come up with a folder/pamphlet to hand out to the offenders, most of which probably don't realize what they're doing wrong in the first place.

Ok wordsmiths, help me out here. I need ideas of what to print out to tactfully get my point across without creating too many enemies. Don't let me down! :D

JimN
08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Ok, so like every body of water ours has its share of drivers doing powerturns to pick-up a fallen rider/skier. We all know how frustrating this can be when it wrecks the butter.

I'd like to come up with a folder/pamphlet to hand out to the offenders, most of which probably don't realize what they're doing wrong in the first place.

Ok wordsmiths, help me out here. I need ideas of what to print out to tactfully get my point across without creating too many enemies. Don't let me down! :D

Put a photo of them in a power turn with "KNOCK IT THE F OFF!!!!!!!!!" as the caption.

How's that?

woftam
08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
FWIW, a power turn isn't always evil. WRT the smoothness of the water, it's okay to power turn at either end of a slalom course for instance. However, it would be stupid/conterproductive to do the same in the middle of the course should the skier have fallen there. Then there is the issue of power turns not being too good for the longevity of your boat's running gear. YMMV. FWIW.

coz
08-25-2009, 10:24 PM
W T F IS WRONG WITH YOU? STOP POWERTURNING!!

That might work :rolleyes:

Double D
08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Ask:
Do you like smooth water to ski on?
Do you like crossing over extra large converging waves while boating or skiing?
Do you like doing damage to your boat?

NO??

Then eliminate the power turn phenomenon.

And, whatever you come up with I need a copy! :D

endl
08-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Dude I am in on this. Let me know what you come up with.

JKTX21
08-27-2009, 11:22 AM
The topic lives on....

endl
08-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Here is an Idea I just came up with. How about messages in bottles. Collect water bottles ect. Put the notes inside. Drop the bottles in the target areas then when the power turners pick up the water bottle they will get the message.

Negative side of this of course is will they pick up the bottle?:rolleyes:

wiltok
08-27-2009, 04:50 PM
With all the tubers out turning all over - does it really matter??

dog paw
08-27-2009, 05:40 PM
With all the tubers out turning all over - does it really matter??

Amen:)

I get sneered a from time to time for power loading at our ramp. Not quite the same but the end result of there words of wisdom are hard feelings. Just gotta chew up a couple extra blood pressure pills and let it go.

ntidsl
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
I ski on a river and my stretch of water is about 2 miles long, 3/4 mile wide...if i dont beat the first boat out i have to ski in a creek...

we only ski parellel to the river

we never boat across the river thus throwing dangerous rollers 2 miles down the river...

people dont realize that its dangerous...

rollers just keep going down the river, they dont really stop on glass waer and if i skier doesnt know they are there and all of a dudden hots them coming out of turn they could get seriosuly hurt...

*** do you think an island the end of a lke is for? to absorb the wake from the turning boat. if you dont have an island to turn around drop the skier.

also idling down the middle, not on a plane will create rollers too...there are 2 speeds for skier, on a plane and dead stopped...

anyone in a ski boat who power turns on glass water shoudl get a smack in the face!

CameronCarey
08-28-2009, 02:17 PM
just include step by step instructions on how to spin a master craft, If they are not in a true ski boat they will capsize it and the problem is solved!

Not diplomatic but effective...

Jerseydave
08-28-2009, 02:38 PM
I found this on WW.......I think I'm going to make minor changes and print out some flyers.
Hopefully that's ok with who initially drafted this (very good BTW) :)

Attention: Watersports Enthusiasts

With the lakes more popular than ever calm water is becoming harder to find. As most watersports are best done in calm waters a little consideration from everyone can help to make all of our outings more fun; one way of achieving this is to stop doing POWERTURNS.

When your skier/boarder/tuber falls down please slow the boat to a stop before returning to him/her at a slow, no-wake speed. This has a number of benefits for you and other lake users:

- No unnecessary waves sent across the lake
- No choppy water for your rider to contend with when you circle around him/her
- Reduced fuel usage
- Reduced wear and tear on your boat and equipment
- Rider has time to recover before starting again

If everyone heeds this friendly advice the lake will be a better place for all.

However, if you feel that your rider is in danger and you need to return to him/her quickly, do so.

Thanks!

Double D
08-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Be sure to pass on your final copy.

I found this on WW.......I think I'm going to make minor changes and print out some flyers.

With the lakes more popular than ever calm water is becoming harder to find. As most watersports are best done in calm waters a little consideration from everyone can help to make all of our outings more fun; one way of achieving this is to stop doing POWERTURNS.

When your skier/boarder/tuber falls down please slow the boat to a stop before returning to him/her at a slow, no-wake speed. This has a number of benefits for you and other lake users:

- Reduced fuel usage

However, if you feel that your rider is in danger and you need to return to him/her quickly, do so.

Thanks!

JimN
08-28-2009, 02:48 PM

- Reduced fuel usage

Thanks!

Hmmm, nothing about making it harder to see downed skiers/boarders in choppy water. You might want to add something about that and use my friend from middle school as an example of someone who lost an arm when he was hit by a boat that was following too close and too fast.

Jerseydave
08-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Revised for my use on the river where we ride:

Attention: Boaters and Watersports Enthusiasts

With the river more popular than ever calm water is becoming harder to find. As most watersports are best done in calm waters a little consideration from everyone can help to make all of our outings more fun; one way of achieving this is to stop doing POWERTURNS.
(A powerturn is when the boat driver makes a wide sweeping turn-around at speed to pickup a fallen skier/rider)

When your skier/boarder/tuber falls down please slow the boat to a stop (idle speed) before returning to him/her at a slow, no-wake speed. This has a number of benefits for you and other river users:

- No unnecessary waves sent down or across the river
- Reduced fuel usage

If everyone heeds this friendly advice the conditions on the river will be much better for all of us who enjoy watersports on this river.

Warning: riders/skiers can fall at any given time, therefore it is very dangerous to follow them too closely. Please keep your distance behind boats that are towing someone.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

JimN
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Revised for my use on the river where we ride:

Attention: Boaters and Watersports Enthusiasts

With the river more popular than ever calm water is becoming harder to find. As most watersports are best done in calm waters a little consideration from everyone can help to make all of our outings more fun; one way of achieving this is to stop doing POWERTURNS.
(A powerturn is when the boat driver makes a wide sweeping turn-around at speed to pickup a fallen skier/rider)

When your skier/boarder/tuber falls down please slow the boat to a stop (idle speed) before returning to him/her at a slow, no-wake speed. This has a number of benefits for you and other river users:

- No unnecessary waves sent down or across the river
- Reduced fuel usage

If everyone heeds this friendly advice the conditions on the river will be much better for all of us who enjoy watersports on this river.

Warning: riders/skiers can fall at any given time, therefore it is very dangerous to follow them too closely. Please keep your distance behind boats that are towing someone.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

"Failure to comply will be met with consequences too harsh to even show here. Trust me, you want to play nice."

Would that help?

ProTour X9
08-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Our rule is don't be on the lake if someone else is skiing unless you're skiing as well....nobody else needs the glass

Jerseydave
08-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Our rule is don't be on the lake if someone else is skiing unless you're skiing as well....nobody else needs the glass

Yea, in a perfect world! I pull some really impressive riders........you would think everyone else would stop their boats and just watch the free show. Maybe if I threaten to charge a viewing fee they would either pay up or go away? Haha!

Bert
08-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Yea, in a perfect world! I pull some really impressive riders........you would think everyone else would stop their boats and just watch the free show. Maybe if I threaten to charge a viewing fee they would either pay up or go away? Haha!
Actually I managed to PO a Malibu Wakesetter crew yesterday. They were waving there arms at me to circle around the bay. Seems they were astonished and upset that I was pulling a slalom skier in a straight line from one end of the bay to the other with a tight P turn at each end. I idled over and let them know I was very happy that upset them and perhaps they would like a lesson on how to operate a boat.
There is a condo development here that includes a wakesetter with the condo. You can imagine what these first time boat owners are like:mad: When I asked them if they got a condo with that boat they didn't laugh, just asked me what that skinny stick was that we were riding.:D