PDA

View Full Version : Another Sacramento River accident...

g-Dog
08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
This just happened a couple of days ago at the launch ramp that I use. Something like this happens almost every month around here. I don't understand it.

Man who fell into Sacramento River feared drowned
From Bill Lindelof:

A man who fell into the Sacramento River while helping friends load a boat onto a trailer has apparently drowned, fire officials said.

The man was at the Elkhorn Boat Ramp under the Interstate 5 overpass just west of the Sacramento River about 9 p.m. Sunday when he fell off the boat or the dock. Witnesses to the incident say they saw the man fall into the water and then go under.

Members of Sacramento County's Drowning Accident Rescue Team (DART) searched for the man but could not find him.

flipper
08-25-2009, 05:38 PM
I hear about it all the time and don't get it either. How do you fall off and drown? If you can't swim, what are you doing on a dock with no life jacket? Only way I can see it is if they pass out for some other reason and fall into the water.

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 05:48 PM
If Ft Worth had a rapid transit system would it be called (FART)??

No thanks hunny no ride this morning I will catch the FART.

flipper
08-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Wouldn't it be FWRTS?

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 05:55 PM
BART>>>>> Bay Area Rapid Transit

DART>>>>>> Dallas Area Rapid Transit.

Try a jolt or something, might help.

g-Dog
08-25-2009, 06:05 PM
TART>>>>>>>> I think her name was Nicole.

shepherd
08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
I guess that's why they call it "The Metro" in Washington. :cool:

coz
08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Only way I can see it is if they pass out for some other reason and fall into the water.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2584152401_eb266062f9.jpg

rodltg2
08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
the river is very fast at that ramp. i wouldnt jump in water there sober during the day. i've made the mistake of tieing up my boat on the dock and the current was so fast i couldn't get my boat off. i had to get some help to push it off.

flipper
08-25-2009, 06:57 PM
the river is very fast at that ramp. i wouldnt jump in water there sober during the day. i've made the mistake of tieing up my boat on the dock and the current was so fast i couldn't get my boat off. i had to get some help to push it off.

It's fast, but you can still get to shore. You may not be able to get back to the dock you started at, but to drown? crazy

That's just cause you can't drive

454Prostar190
08-25-2009, 07:23 PM

I was going to say the same thing. Elkhorn is a very hard dock to navigate because of the current and I avoid launching there.

rodltg2
08-25-2009, 07:31 PM
It's fast, but you can still get to shore. You may not be able to get back to the dock you started at, but to drown? crazy

That's just cause you can't drive

all I know is that I dont jump into fast current without a life jacket. havent been this year as i have spent all time down the street at the ski lake.

has nothing to do with driving. the current is so strong that its very hard to push yourself off the dock when you tie up up river of the dock. you have a tiny boat, i was in my Epic 23V. Much larger and heavier.

g-Dog
08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
The launch ramp is not too bad...once you get the hang of it.:D I use it almost every weekend and have never had an issue. There is a little beach area down river directly adjacent to the launch ramp. So either the guy hit his head on something and knocked himself out...or he didn't know how to swim and wasn't wearing a life vest.

rodltg2
08-25-2009, 08:06 PM
the launch ramp is fine, i just won't tie upriver of the dock . normally dont tie up at all, but was with my wife and she has limited trailer skills.

the fact remains though, that the current is fast. people without much swimming experience should not be getting in the water, especially drunk and at night which I assume is usually the case.

snork
08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
SRV:guitar:

FancySauceRules
08-25-2009, 11:07 PM
If Ft Worth had a rapid transit system would it be called (FART)??

No thanks hunny no ride this morning I will catch the FART.

Seattle recently opened up the South Lake Union Transit. I'm sure you take it from there.

I'm going to ride the #### today.

The #### was filthy

and so on and so on....

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Seattle recently opened up the South Lake Union Transit. I'm sure you take it from there.

I'm going to ride the #### today.

The #### was filthy

and so on and so on....

Yes that is what I'm talking about. Very funny.

Hunny do I have to ride the **** again?? You ride the **** and I'll take the hybrid. :D

coz
08-25-2009, 11:41 PM
the fact remains though, that the current is fast. people without much swimming experience should not be getting in the water, especially drunk and at night which I assume is usually the case.

How fast is the water moving? I know the Colorado river is around 5 mph