PDA

View Full Version : What Work did you do on your Mastercraft Today?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

deminimis
08-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Here's your chance to puff out your chest and tell the world about your Mastercraft DIY accomplishment of the day. Your spouse probably doesn't care. Your neighbors probably don't care. However, we care. So let's hear about it. I'll start.

Wired up my Clarion head unit so I could run my Sirius sat radio through it. Not a huge accomplishment, but sounds good, so I'm happy.

bigmac
08-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Looked out my bedroom window to make sure it was still in the lift.

Sodar
08-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Sunday I took all the tires off the trailer and cleaned out the fender wells, calipers and waxed the trailer frame. Before putting the wheels back on I cleaned the backside of the wheels and got all the brake dust and grime off. A coat of wax on the whole wheel and it was done. The trailer really looks like the day I first saw it in Chicago even after at least 12,000 miles.

Yesterday I polished the boat with Finesse-It and my Porter Cable 7424. WHOA WHOA WHOA! I thought the boat was nice and shiney before, but this stuff brought out the luster I had never seen before. I was looking through my photo gallery of the boat this morning and I really believe the boat shines better than when it was 2 weeks old.

Today I am going to put a few coats of wax on her and call it good. Should bring even more shine out with a few coats of wax, too.

Tomorrow I am going to clean the interior and load it up for the weekend...

bigmac
08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Sunday I took all the tires off the trailer and cleaned out the fender wells, calipers and waxed the trailer frame. Before putting the wheels back on I cleaned the backside of the wheels and got all the brake dust and grime off. A coat of wax on the whole wheel and it was done. The trailer really looks like the day I first saw it in Chicago even after at least 12,000 miles.

Holy smokes! Impressively ambitious.

I'm not even sure where my trailer is. Last I saw it, it was out in the weeds on the back part of the property.

J NORRIS
08-25-2009, 11:25 AM
researching drivetrain alignment, here on the site. Finding good instructions on shaft alignment. Seems like I need to align everything up after a submerged log hit. maybe a new strut!? Can those things be straightened with a rubber mallet? If so, does it damage the integrity of the metal?

Age Fighter
08-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Continued to try and figure out a way to install an X-2 style wake plate on my X-9 --
on the theory that the X-9 did not perform for slalom quite as well as hoped (hence, the birth of the X-14 mid season)

and the theory that the transom of the X-2 is very similar to the transom of the X-9 --

and on the theory that the wake plate does in fact tremendously help the slalom wake of the X-2.

Having said that, not getting a lot of help from MC or local dealer or Lenco or Overtons on this research. Guess it will be total DIY.

russlars
08-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Tightened up my ski pylon. It started making a creaking/popping sound when pulling a skier. (man we must be pulling hard!) Found out that the U bolt at the boat floor level was the culprit. Tightened it down and now it is rock solid again.:)

76S&S
08-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Hauled it to the dealer for a new "lower" tranny seal.........

TMCNo1
08-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double D
08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Thought about writing out my list of parts I need to buy to do some general maintenance on the engine....

cmw
08-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Back surgery Thursday so I can just use the boat again!

Kren
08-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Cleaned the seats with Babes Seat Soap. Great option for keeping the seats like new in my opinion.

jdl xstar
08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Stumbled across an old bottle of tire shine in the garage sunday so i sprayed the trailer tires.

Muttley
08-25-2009, 02:01 PM
303'd the upholstery last night.

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
The wife. :D

Age Fighter
08-25-2009, 02:14 PM
The wife. :D

Posting any pics soon?;);)

jkski
08-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Worked it through the slalom course for an hour this morning.

g-Dog
08-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Inspected trailer tires due to all the Marathon problem threads. Spare tire was low on air.:o

peason
08-25-2009, 04:00 PM

Yesterday I polished the boat with Finesse-It and my Porter Cable 7424. WHOA WHOA WHOA! I thought the boat was nice and shiney before, but this stuff brought out the luster I had never seen before. I was looking through my photo gallery of the boat this morning and I really believe the boat shines better than when it was 2 weeks old.

Today I am going to put a few coats of wax on her and call it good. Should bring even more shine out with a few coats of wax, too.

Tomorrow I am going to clean the interior and load it up for the weekend...

No kids and not married!

peason
08-25-2009, 04:02 PM
We have gotten a lot of rain and my cover leaks everytime - so I vacuumed ran the bildge and vaccuumed out the remaining water.

Miss Rita
08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
1)rebuilt the trailer jack
2) tightened up the coupler
3) installed two new trailer marker lights, rebuilt tail lights
4) new winch strap
5) re-built side upholstery panels
6) removed/replaced/re-aligned windshield
7) new tires
8) replaced mounting screws on dash
9) shampoo carpet
10) rebuilt swivel passenger seat

This afternoon I plan to get REALLY busy

shepherd
08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
I patted her on the *** as I walked through the garage on my way to work this morning.

Splash
08-25-2009, 04:53 PM
I started to install the braces on my 07 X1.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5466/dsc00285kjn.jpg

but got stuck with a salt-welded srew. Arghhh!

btriantos
08-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Got rid of Sub Woofer vibration noises Tightened all screws in boat and tower, pull off cup holders and wound electrical tape around the tops to create a tigher fit in main cabin, Moved/secured gear that vibrated. Put round velvet pads (used for chairs so they don't scratch hardwood floors) on all seat bottom tabs that contact the fiber glass, and on all hatches on hinges.... Yeah, I think they call this OCD.

Kingsley X-1
08-25-2009, 06:36 PM
over the past three weeks i have put 25 hours on the boat. one trip that was just a run down the river with a bit of surfing and playing here and there = 65 miles one way. my buddy and myself put on four JL tower speakers, four JL interior speakers, a 10" JL sub and a 5 channel Alpine amp.

TMCNo1
08-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Got rid of Sub Woofer vibration noises Tightened all screws in boat and tower, pull off cup holders and wound electrical tape around the tops to create a tigher fit in main cabin, Moved/secured gear that vibrated. Put round velvet pads (used for chairs so they don't scratch hardwood floors) on all seat bottom tabs that contact the fiber glass, and on all hatches on hinges.... Yeah, I think they call this OCD.

Welcome to my world!:rolleyes:

trickskier
08-25-2009, 07:30 PM
over the past three weeks i have put 25 hours on the boat. one trip that was just a run down the river with a bit of surfing and playing here and there = 65 miles one way. my buddy and myself put on four JL tower speakers, four JL interior speakers, a 10" JL sub and a 5 channel Alpine amp.

They look good TOO!!! :D

Chief
08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Get to drive tomorrow for 6hrs to MCOC to pick my boat tomorrow.

Monte
08-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Get to drive tomorrow for 6hrs to MCOC to pick my boat tomorrow.

Tomorrow?:rolleyes: 77 or 85?:cool:

skihard111
08-25-2009, 09:33 PM
I anchored it in the background of a movie...

thatsmrmastercraft
08-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Removed my starboard Airguide speedometer to repaint the needle and to reseal to keep the water out. Also removed and replaced the steering wheel to properly clean behind it.

MariStar-Man
08-26-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure if this is proper, but I waxed the underside of my baby, 1999 Maristar, Then while i was there waxed the entire trailer...

I conditioned, all the leather, and started her up using a new Pergo Adapter.

I finished her off with a waxing of her butt, to remove the marks and scratches, but they didn't come out llike waxing a car? I used a rotary buffer at #3 speed and oxidation remover. Think i will need some scratch remover.

blackcreek
08-26-2009, 08:37 AM
I did the same then took her for a spin, just because. Most of last weekend consisted of helping Creeklife (who lives across the canal) fix the motor in his 190.

wheeler
08-26-2009, 09:58 AM
after every use I get to work on the vinyl as well as a good wipe down before storage....

The vinyl especially, see this thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32239

jdl xstar
08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure if this is proper, but I waxed the underside of my baby, 1999 Maristar, Then while i was there waxed the entire trailer...

I conditioned, all the leather, and started her up using a new Pergo Adapter.

I finished her off with a waxing of her butt, to remove the marks and scratches, but they didn't come out llike waxing a car? I used a rotary buffer at #3 speed and oxidation remover. Think i will need some scratch remover.

Wow! Do I see hints of OCD?? ;)

starman205
08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Replaced the Raw water impeller last night and 303'd all the vinyl. :)

kbob
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I made a "redneck" ballast pump assembly...haven't tried it out yet...but hopefully this weekend. I'm open to suggestions :)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa6/kdwall44/My%20Prostar%20205/IMG_0107.jpg?t=1251300559

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa6/kdwall44/My%20Prostar%20205/IMG_0106.jpg?t=1251300658

MariStar-Man
08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
haven't tried it out yet.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa6/kdwall44/My%20Prostar%20205/IMG_0106.jpg?t=1251300658

That looks more like one of those self-pleasure things...:o:D

wheeler
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
That looks more like one of those self-pleasure things...:o:D

Ummm ouch!!! :confused:

kbob
08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
What can I say...Peter Griffen (Family Guy) is my idle...

btriantos
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I think it's safe to say we are all a little touched when it comes to our boats.. I think most Malibu owers are the same. It's got to be a pride in ownership, and that we plopped a few bills down and want that investment to last. What I don't get are the "other" boats that are out there. They seems to be a lower percentage of poeple who give a S%^& about their boats, as I see many boats, only a couple years old, pretty thrashed out on the lake

WAProstar
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I've been doing mostly research on this site...

- Potentially re-plumb the lines to my airguide speedometers to remove the equalizer tubes from the system (per this thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32120&highlight=airguide). I definitely have a leak or plug somewhere. I am having trouble with the speedos reading different values, the left one is slower to respond than the right and they aren't close to the speed from a GPS (right is about 4-5 mph slow and the left is 8-10 mph slow).

- Trying to troubleshoot why my boat doesn't go faster than 36mph (per GPS). Its an '89 PS 190 with the 351W and a 4-blade OJ prop. I expect something in the 42-44mph range. Seems similar to the issue discussed in this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11605&highlight=distributor+tach), so will inspect my distributor and timing. Don't believe I have a loss of compression in any cylinder due to the very strong pull out of the hole, but will do compression test in the near future to be sure. Need to do more research to see if there are other threads with similar symptoms. This thread has also been very useful: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11251

- Finding replacement tachometer because mine has corroded and needs to be replaced (it does not register - have verified wiring to the tach).

- Troubleshoot wiring up to bow lights.

I like to have a lot of irons in the fire...

shepherd
08-26-2009, 04:51 PM
1. Installed tower, but took it back off because I didn't like the way it looked.
2. Waxed cylinders so pistons will move more freely.
3. Applied fresh coat of paint to starter housing.
4. Removed seat skins and replaced foam padding with thinner, sturdier foam to prevent seam cracking.
5. Coated my boat buddy with strawberry-flavored tingling sensation body lotion.

TMCNo1
08-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I've been doing mostly research on this site...

- Potentially re-plumb the lines to my airguide speedometers to remove the equalizer tubes from the system (per this thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32120&highlight=airguide). I definitely have a leak or plug somewhere. I am having trouble with the speedos reading different values, the left one is slower to respond than the right and they aren't close to the speed from a GPS (right is about 4-5 mph slow and the left is 8-10 mph slow).

- Trying to troubleshoot why my boat doesn't go faster than 36mph (per GPS). Its an '89 PS 190 with the 351W and a 4-blade OJ prop. I expect something in the 42-44mph range. Seems similar to the issue discussed in this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11605&highlight=distributor+tach), so will inspect my distributor and timing. Don't believe I have a loss of compression in any cylinder due to the very strong pull out of the hole, but will do compression test in the near future to be sure. Need to do more research to see if there are other threads with similar symptoms. This thread has also been very useful: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11251
Check to see if a/the springs are broke for the distributor timing advance weights and make sure they are lubricated and moving freely.

- Finding replacement tachometer because mine has corroded and needs to be replaced (it does not register - have verified wiring to the tach).
http://www.airguide.com.au/index.php

- Troubleshoot wiring up to bow lights.

I like to have a lot of irons in the fire...

Check the red statements out.

TMCNo1
08-26-2009, 05:07 PM
1. Installed tower, but took it back off because I didn't like the way it looked.
4. Removed seat skins and replaced foam padding with thinner, sturdier foam to prevent seam cracking.
5. Coated my boat buddy with strawberry-flavored tingling sensation body lotion.

Yea right, just like I made sure my trailer tongue could lick anything feminine!:rolleyes:

PhotoInc
08-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I put gas in my 87 Prostar today and skied all morning then came home, tied it up at the dock, and put the cover on it, then walked in my home office and went to work. Since solving my engine and distributor problems, she has been getting used like she should be.....rode hard and put up wet!!

Dave in Odessa...Fl.

KBryant2007
08-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Installed 2 JL Audio Speakers on the tower, and hooked up a 6 channel JL audio amp. Sound is incredible!

mtajpa
08-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Had a new bimini top put on. Looked at it on the trailer and said to my self "Why am I going to work"?

Wake2wake
08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
oil change and pulled the old decals off the side, hoping to buff the entire hull tomorrow, and have it waxed and I will replace the decals with something in the off season.

WAProstar
08-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Check the red statements out.

TMCNo1 - I took apart the distributor. The weights moved ok by hand or with a screwdriver. One of the springs was rusted, but it still pulled the weights into the inner-most position, while allowing it to go out to the outer most position. The other spring looked ok. I lubricated the weights and springs - this seemed to make the movement smoother. However, it doesn't seem like this is the problem since the weights moved ok before I did anything, but won't really know until I get it back onto the water.

In the Do It Yourself Electronic Ignition thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533), post 37, somebody mentions lubricating the breaker plate. What is this and does it apply to the non-EI distributor? I put some oil on the packing material/wick, but can't figure out what is being lubricated. The plate that I am aware of it screwed down, so doesn't seem to be able to rotate on the distributor shaft.

Any other ideas on what I should be checking?

Again, I really appreciate the help.

deminimis
08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Replaced the broken front cooler cushion strap with a piece of webbing. Now, just have to get through a few items at work today and should be on the water by 2P (99 degrees and no wind -which is rare in the windsurfing capitol of the world).

Jesus_Freak
08-27-2009, 12:54 PM

What about that filth muck on your windshields?

Double D
08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Last night: Wednesday: I pulled one of my spark plugs so I can go buy a new set, pulled the tube off the front of the trailer from drying, and hung up my vintage MC ProStar 205 sales poster in my new garage. :)

jraben8
08-27-2009, 03:05 PM
2 1/2 years ago I replaced the rear seal in my transmission. I thought it was pretty lofty since all of my phone quotes were $1000+.

rhsprostar
08-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Put gas in it......................and SKIED THE SNOT OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo::woohoo:

SHE LOVED IT...................ya!

turbosdad
08-27-2009, 07:14 PM

I like your idea of boat ownership

SKIBUMM
08-27-2009, 07:20 PM
I think it's safe to say we are all a little touched when it comes to our boats.. I think most Malibu owers are the same. It's got to be a pride in ownership, and that we plopped a few bills down and want that investment to last. What I don't get are the "other" boats that are out there. They seems to be a lower percentage of poeple who give a S%^& about their boats, as I see many boats, only a couple years old, pretty thrashed out on the lake

I must be the odd one then because I have a 93 centurion Falcon XP that looks like it just rolled off the showtoom floor. Everything is still all original. I take that back I just replaced the blower tubing. And thanks to TMCno1 my deck looks better than it has in years. In my neck of the woods I am somewhat amazed at how most people take care of thier boats.

93Prostar190
08-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Do you guys ever read the instructions to some of those Hull cleaning products that help with mineral deposits and growth?

Well ... just got back from Norris and I use some of that stuff on Sunday to clean up a few spots on my black stripe.

As some of my skin peels from my fingers as I type this, then I realize why they encourage you to wear rubber gloves when applying it.

RTFM ..... to stay on topic ...... cleaned out the boat from my Norris, TN trip. She is ready to ski this Saturday. Fresh wax ... and peeling skin. Ahhh.

Double D
08-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Went to the store and bought new spark plugs, and picked up 4 new trailer marker lights.
Was supposed to be on the lake tonight!!:mad:

MariStar-Man
08-28-2009, 02:59 PM
As some of my skin peels from my fingers as I type this. Ahhh.

You know, women pay good money for that stuff... Facial peel...lol

Kingsley X-1
08-28-2009, 04:24 PM
RTFM ..... to stay on topic ...... cleaned out the boat from my Norris, TN trip. She is ready to ski this Saturday. Fresh wax ... and peeling skin. Ahhh.

RTFM? i dont get it :confused::confused::confused:

Kingsley X-1
08-28-2009, 04:29 PM
oh oh oh Read the freaking manual...i get it. man i am at up with the dumb a$$ today.:friday::friday:

SunCoast 83
08-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Had to buy new tires for the trailer last saturday....if that counts.

93maristarky
08-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Put new raw water pump on my Maristar.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Finished the starboard speedometer put back together after a good cleaning and polish. Also refinished the shoe skis I made in wood shop class in high school in 1979. Salvaged bindings from some old Cypress Gardens and White Bear wooden water skis. Skis are 7" x 13" laminated and dowelled oak and maple. Last time I used these was in 1981 when I took a severe faceplant and sat out the rest of a two week vacation with a concussion. Might have to give them a try again.

Jim@BAWS
08-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Finished the starboard speedometer put back together after a good cleaning and polish. Also refinished the shoe skis I made in wood shop class in high school in 1979. Salvaged bindings from some old Cypress Gardens and White Bear wooden water skis. Skis are 7" x 13" laminated and dowelled oak and maple. Last time I used these was in 1981 when I took a severe faceplant and sat out the rest of a two week vacation with a concussion. Might have to give them a try again.

WHITE BEAR...the one bindings that you have. Used to make a GREAT long flat bottom ski
that was GREAT for doing "AROUND THE BOAT"

Oh ya...by the way. NICE JOB LOOKS GREAT !!!

Now what will you work on this winter???

Jim@BAWS

bigmac
08-30-2009, 09:46 AM
WHITE BEAR...the one bindings that you have. Used to make a GREAT long flat bottom ski

Still see a few of those around here. My next door neighbor (age 84) has one in his storage shed.

White Bear Water Ski Company

Tom Weinhagen started the White Bear Water Ski Company out of his home on Bald Eagle Lake, Minnesota, in 1948. The wood for the first pair of skis was formed at the Johnson Boat Works in White Bear Lake and within a few years Weinhagen was producing nearly 10,000 sets of skis per year. This volume was too heavy for the garage of the Weinhagen family and soon a shop was opened in White Bear Beach. Production ended when the company closed due to the death of its founder in 1964.

deminimis
08-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Somehow a wakeboard rack finger/prong/tine/whatever got itself bent. Pulled the offending rack off the boat, placed it in a vise, and went to town on it. Good as new. Refinished the swim deck. Changed the stinger on my hitch so the trailer is closer to level (I had too much of a drop). Hopefully that will cure some of the. Vehicle bounce.... Although logic may suggest otherwise.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2009, 12:24 PM

Oh ya...by the way. NICE JOB LOOKS GREAT !!!

Now what will you work on this winter???

Jim@BAWS

Thanks. Need to do the other speedometer, seats need to be recovered, engine cover needs to be covered (it came as raw fiberglass - not correct for this boat but it works), rebuild raw water pump, paint engine accessories, update with new gauges, new fuel sending unit, replace carb with marine 4160. Other than that, I will just take it easy.

ProStar Slalom
08-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Still see a few of those around here. My next door neighbor (age 84) has one in his storage shed.

BigMac, thanks for the history lesson on these skis; interesting. Do you live near White Bear Lake? I visited once; unfortunately for unpleaseant circumstances, but seems like it would be a great area, in the summer at least.

bigmac
08-30-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm about 2 hours north of there.

mtajpa
08-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Put locktite on all of the set screws on new bimini top. After first trip out they were all loose. Not anymore!

FrankSchwab
08-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Cleaned the windshield, and greased the bearing buddies.

Packed about 10,000 pounds of camping crap into the various nooks and crannies.

Lake Powell, here we come.

/frank

Covi
08-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Waxed and vacuum.

TX.X-30 fan
08-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Waxed the bilge and changed the power steering fluid.

Chief
08-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Backflip!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
08-30-2009, 07:54 PM
That rocks for a ancient old flecker. :D

Very nice Chief.

BriEOD
08-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Emptied the gas tank (actually to the 1/4 mark). :cool:

Chief
08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
That rocks for a ancient old flecker. :D

Very nice Chief.

I'm not old, just seasoned.

SkiDog
08-30-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm not old, just seasoned.

And 1 case of beer richer!:mad:

dgaugler
08-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Cleaned, then cleaned some more. Tightened the trailer brakes. Fixed a poer outlet. Removed some old license stickers. That about sums it up.

2RLAKE
08-30-2009, 09:55 PM
dried out my boat after Prostar19 swamped me with his X-Star Saturday night... nothing like a 3 foot wake off a fully loaded X-Star hitting your nose

it was quite funny

Swimmer
08-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Nothing. Too hot (100+) at the lake so it sat in storage.

WAProstar
08-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Replaced alternator belt, re-plumbed speedometer tubing, installed loaner tach until replacement comes in. And went to the lake... was pleased to find that lubing the weights/springs in the distributor seemed to cure the top speed problem. Today, the GPS reported 43mph at WOT (thanks TMCNo1).

MariStar-Man
08-31-2009, 07:51 AM
dried out my boat after Prostar19 swamped me with his X-Star Saturday night... nothing like a 3 foot wake off a fully loaded X-Star hitting your nose

it was quite funny

Haha, I had the same thing happen to me for the first time. As I was powering down from a U-turn, there were waves coming at me and then...it hit and it seemed the nose went under and like a ton of water piled in the boat! it was too funny...

Age Fighter
08-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Since none of my normal crew options could go -- they all had other stuff going on -- I just went, fueled her up, re arranged the skis, boards and other gear -- and cruised around for about an hour.

AND DADGUM!! Not a single other boat in any of the four main coves we look to play in. If I could have driven her remote control, I would have taken myself skiing!!! GLASS everywhere, 85 degrees, and no way to play!!!

Hammer
08-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Since none of my normal crew options could go -- they all had other stuff going on -- I just went, fueled her up, re arranged the skis, boards and other gear -- and cruised around for about an hour.

AND DADGUM!! Not a single other boat in any of the four main coves we look to play in. If I could have driven her remote control, I would have taken myself skiing!!! GLASS everywhere, 85 degrees, and no way to play!!!

You should have found us, we were there all weekend!:cool:

Hammer
08-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Spent two weekends in a row on the water camping at the lake. Little dirty now. Gonna take me all week to get it cleaned up!

76S&S
08-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Hauled mine back from the dealer after transmission repairs...........$1,300, ouch!

Oh, then it rained yesterday and we didn't get to go out.

stuartmcnair
08-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Hauled mine back from the dealer after transmission repairs...........$1,300, ouch!

Oh, then it rained yesterday and we didn't get to go out.

oh come on...we were out. Right around 3:30 the sun came out for a few hours...

we're gone for two weeks but we'll be back at it in three. Maybe we'll see you on the river.

captain planet
08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Today I am getting the materials to winterize my boat on Sunday. :cry:

JMann
08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
I got the key out of the glove box and brought it inside the house.

CameronCarey
08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
I made a to do list..............i was out of town for the past 3 weeks and lost track...

TallRedRider
08-31-2009, 01:46 PM
I redid the hoses on the the KGB ballast to supplemental sac system so that it would vent properly. I found that the sacs would collapse on themselves and then create a situation where the tank would nearly implode from the negative pressure.

I might start a thread on this later if what I did does not fix it. One time out so far and it worked, but I am nervous about it still. The key is to have the vent and drain ports close enough to each other that you can't completely collapse the sac without air going from the overflow to the drain port. When the overflow was on one end of the sac, and the drain at the other, that was bad.

TX.X-30 fan
08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Nothing. Too hot (100+) at the lake so it sat in storage.

We have had 68 days this summer over 100, record is 69 from 1922. We braved the heat a few times. :D

Sodar
08-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Used the boat for 3 days straight and ran 2 tanks through it.

Wash her yesterday in 115 degree heat and followed her up with a coat of wax. The ladyfriend did the interior, so the boat is nice and pretty for the next adventure.

TX.X-30 fan
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Today I am getting the materials to winterize my boat on Sunday. :cry:

51183 51183

51182 51182

TX.X-30 fan
08-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Used the boat for 3 days straight and ran 2 tanks through it.

Wash her yesterday in 115 degree heat and followed her up with a coat of wax. The ladyfriend did the interior, so the boat is nice and pretty for the next adventure.

I never mind doing the outside, sure is nice to have someone do the interior. Makes for a fast turn around.

76S&S
08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
oh come on...we were out. Right around 3:30 the sun came out for a few hours...

we're gone for two weeks but we'll be back at it in three. Maybe we'll see you on the river.

Didn't bother to go down since it looked like it was going to rain all day. Besides, I got to clean out the basement. Who wouldn't rather do that instead of being on the water?:rolleyes:

deminimis
09-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Too cold and windy today to play. So, installed registration letters/numbers on the ol' gal. Concerned about my winch strap, so starting to look to replace that.

TOO-TALL
09-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Not today, but last week.

-replaced center ballast pump.
-replaced front left side brake caliper.
-rewired the connectors on the bildge pumps.So they work on auto now.
-put the spare tire on in place of the left front.
-And to top it all off I need new trailer tires.

Know wonder its called a B.O.A.T Bring.On.Another.Thousand!

daverbeck
09-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Wiped it down after 4 of us each took 3 runs (our normal Sunday morning routine).

Winter is coming. Gotta ski NOW!

KHall
09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Yesterday cleaned her up ... long over due. Going out today with a band aided fuel pump and support strap on my cracked tower leg. :0

cmw
09-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Sat in it and had a beer. Still recovering from back surgery two weeks ago. It is killing me that ski season is ticking away and nothing I can do about it.

TayMC197
09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I haven't done a darn thing to it. Its been at the Fiberglass shop for the last 2 weeks but they did call this morning and informed me it was finished. Now to put the new decals on. I'll post pics soon.

Gofast
09-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Wiped the boat down, took some pictures and put it up for sale in the Market section. Looking at new boats.

betsy&david Harrison
09-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Cleaned my interior with a Magic Eraser. Purrrty again.

TMCNo1
09-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Put our new bimini together, but haven't installed it yet.

What is the max towing speed for a bimini that is in the up position?

Sodar
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Cleaned my interior with a Magic Eraser. Purrrty again.

I helped get the seats dirty for Bets to clean this weekend! :D

Put our new bimini together, but haven't installed it yet.

What is the max towing speed for a bimini that is in the up position?

35mph is what most of the warning labels say.

MC4SNETS
09-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Picked up my spare tire/wheel, bolted it on, put a cable lock around the frame and through the wheel, installed a MasterCraft spare tire cover - black. Looks great!

88 PS190
09-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Last work I did was on labor day, pulled boat, cleaned old grease out of trailer, full winterization, bilge cleaning, battery disconnect and trickle charged. And then I put the boat away for the winter.

I really need to find a ski club to join for some fall/spring skiing before season.

93maristarky
09-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Put on a new Aerial Assualt wakeboard tower on my 93 maristar 225

goodelsha
09-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Changed the motor oil and V-drive oil this morning, then found water leaking from the main circulating pump.......so pulled it off and now waiting for the new one to arrive.

TMCNo1
09-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Finished up the bimini install today, cause it's still raining, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=634362&postcount=41

LaRue
09-19-2009, 10:32 PM
admired new purchase. took out life jackets, tubes and ski ropes so i could take a family out in our old boat since they were considering buying. Yipee, sold boat. Acutually their 4 kids who were tubing sold the boat for me. Threw the tube in for good measure.

FrankSchwab
09-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Took it to the lake, taught another couple of kids to kneeboard, ran into a friend on his jetski, brought it home, pulled everything out of the boat, removed all the seat cushions and took it to the car wash to get rid of the sand from Lake Powell from a couple weeks ago. Tomorrow, I'll be drying it out.

High temperature today: 100 degrees. No winterizing for me yet.

/frank

deminimis
09-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Installed new green impellers. Nothing to it. Had the cursed yellow ones and they were well worn. Can't wait to try them out!

SkiDog
09-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Left it in the warehouse today cause of rain!

deminimis
09-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Oh yea, had a big tear in my cover where one of the transom straps attaches to the factory boat cover. Hand-stitched it back up using heavy upholstery thread. Once finished sewing, I coated the underside of the repairs with seal cement. I've used seal cement before to help to a repair and it works great. Better than dropping $1k or whatever for a new cover.

barefoot
09-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I ripped around a bit in mine. Burned a little gas in the process. Glass calm water...the only bad part is I'm nursing a pulled hamstring.

deminimis
07-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Raw water impeller last night.

SunCoast 83
07-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Went to the garage for a beer and looked at it. I said "damn what a sexy boat even at 27 years old!!"

Going to be on the water on Saturday, then will wax it on Tuesday. I am going to revamp the sound system in the fall.

sand2snow22
07-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Went to the garage for a beer and looked at it. I said "damn what a sexy boat even at 27 years old!!"

Going to be on the water on Saturday, then will wax it on Tuesday. I am going to revamp the sound system in the fall.

How many beers did you have before going to the garage? Might have been a phat chick ;)

MakeMineaS&S
07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Added a height-adjuster for the BI Boom this morning. Didn't like how it was sitting on the gunwale when it was hooked directly into the mounting bracket. Now, it rests on the gunwale still, but at less of an angle, and causes less flex.

triplecod
07-15-2010, 08:15 PM
I put new screws on the hinge to the glove box door, original ones are pulling out. I know, not too impressive.

KHall
07-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Teak oiled the swim platform. That's extremely productive for me.

YTW
07-15-2010, 10:36 PM
None. I picked it up from the fine folks at Rambo Marine after a scheduled service and went for a late afternoon ski and wakeboard run with my son. Love being on the lake with my boy.

1redTA
07-15-2010, 10:51 PM
replaced the floor forward of the engine box and new carpet in the boat this week, finished it up today

broncotw
07-15-2010, 11:42 PM
This evening I attached a mirror bracket to the tower.... This weekend I am removing the MC logos and replacing them with new ones!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-15-2010, 11:43 PM
None. I picked it up from the fine folks at Rambo Marine after a scheduled service and went for a late afternoon ski and wakeboard run with my son. Love being on the lake with my boy.

Also exercised my boat pulling my son and nephew up and down the lake on their wakeboards. What a blast!

deminimis
07-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Installed a Fulton F2 2000# winch on the trailer. Nothing wrong with the orig Fulton, but wow, what a difference (looks, ease, etc.). The black and grey color scheme perfectly matches my setup as an added bonus. $100 well spent.

Smoothie
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Shampoo the carpet last night at about 10pm with our bisel spot bot. Man I wish I had some snap out carpet.

slickwater1
07-16-2010, 02:57 PM
just got done 303 the seats and ran about a half tank out of her in the course

brettmess24
07-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I installed a new oj shaft and strut on my x1. And I don't want to ever do it again as my body hurts!

JMann
07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
This weekend I'm going to do the transmission cooler and water fuel separator. Next weekend the shaft packing. I'm getting a lot of water in the bilge which I think it coming from the shaft packing.

deminimis
07-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey JT, this is a family forum! "Shaft packing," geeszch. :)

holdebt
09-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Installed glass in newly powder coated windshield frame. Drilled the mounting holes out in the frame and on the boat. Then installed windshield back on the boat with SS hardware using bolts instead of screws. Looks so much better and the windshield will no longer bounce. :D

broncotw
09-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Winterization! Had surgery last week! I am done for the season!

Matt L.
09-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Installed glass in newly powder coated windshield frame. Drilled the mounting holes out in the frame and on the boat. Then installed windshield back on the boat with SS hardware using bolts instead of screws. Looks so much better and the windshield will no longer bounce. :D

PICS!!!!!?????!!!!!! doing the same to mine in the off season!

Later,

Matt

Sodar
09-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Sounds like a great project! How difficult was it?

mig
09-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Still working on the 383 replacement engine.

DooSPX
09-10-2010, 05:41 PM
what exhaust manifolds are those mig?
that a nice looking setup. what boat is it going in?

mig
09-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Indmar ETX manifolds sans paint and clear coated. Going into a red/white 02 "19Skier" that had 310 Predator and lots of hours.

skierdan
09-10-2010, 09:50 PM
cahnged the fuel sending unit so my gas gauge works now. this is a big step for such a noob!

winterized, changed oil and tranny fluid. still cant get the $^&&$% impellar out.

Barefooter92
09-10-2010, 11:40 PM
a pair of needle nose and pull real hard. Never mind the damage to the impeller your replacing it right? new one slips right in.

BrianB36
09-11-2010, 12:12 AM
to out locked up 81 351 installed 87 302 runs like a dream

Eric2010MCX2
09-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Paid our "glass" man $400 to repair a small chip in our hull where I may have bumped the trailer loading on a windy day and a chipped platform.

babymoore3
09-11-2010, 07:18 AM
a pair of needle nose and pull real hard. Never mind the damage to the impeller your replacing it right? new one slips right in.

You can also get to paint can openers from the local paint / hardware store if you are pulling for winter storage....

skierdan
09-11-2010, 08:51 AM
thanks fells i will give that a try

woobiedmd
09-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Picked up my repaired trailer after all the studs broke on one wheel hub. Very scary! I could imagine what a disaster it could have been if the entire wheel came off. I neeed an opinion. This is the original '88 trailer. I had new springs, shackles, hubs, wheels and tires installed.Reinforcements were welded to the mounting points on the frame. The trailer place said I should easily be good for 5+ years. What do you trailer experts think?

87PS190
09-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Cleaning up the engine compartment, greasing the steering linkage, checking the shaft packing...

holdebt
09-11-2010, 04:49 PM
I will try to take some pictures and figure out how to post them in the next few days. I'm a newbie to the board.

holdebt
09-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Sodar, not very difficult to do. I began the project thinking I was going to use T bolts but had difficulties locating some and the price was quite high when I did. I ended up using flat head counter sunk style 6MM-1.0 x 30mm SS machine screws and nuts from Lowe's. If you decide to tackle the project, I would suggest putting the whole windshield together and then mount it as one piece on the boat instead of installing one section at a time as I did. I installed the sides of the windshield on the boat first and then slid the middle section in mounting it last. It took some persuasion to get the middle section to slide in. Knowing that it is difficult to obtain replacement glass for a 91, I was uneasy with the persuiasion method. Another tip to make it easier is to use liquid hand soap when installing the glass and gasket back into the frame. It will make it much easier to make adjustments to the gasket so it sits just in the frame just right. I placed the gasket on the glass, rubbed hand soap on the outside of the gasket, and then slid the frame onto the gasket and glass. The soap allowed me to make adjustments to the gasket where it was either pushed into the frame too far or not enough. Another I item I think worth mentioning would be the gasket that sits between the windshield frame and hull. I found the Taylor Made brand on the web and some other brands at a local West Marine. When I looked at it, it seemed to be the same or very similar to the weather stripping you can purchase at your local hardware or big box store but at a much higher price. Having said that, while I was at Lowe's comparing, I found marine & automotive weather seal by MD that worked great, looks good, and seems to be more durable (10 yr warranty). It's rectangular in shape, works like a "D" gasket, comes in 10 ft rolls, and sells for $7 instead of $24. The size I used was 5/16" x19/32". I will try to take some pictures and figure out how to post in the next few days. Iím a newbie to the board.

1985 Skiier
09-11-2010, 07:14 PM
That poor squirl!

1985 Skiier
09-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Niiiiiiiiice 454!

gr82bgreen
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
cahnged the fuel sending unit so my gas gauge works now. this is a big step for such a noob!

winterized, changed oil and tranny fluid. still cant get the $^&&$% impellar out.

Ya , it $uck$ that we Albertans have to winterize already. Still hoping for 1 more sort of nice day.

GrandProStar
09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Took her out of the lake :( Removed water spots, washed, and almost waxed but wouldn't you know it, it had to start raining. Also removed the boatlift and dock. I think its going to start snowing soon in northern Michigan, as least it felt that way.

gatorguy
09-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Working on: buying a 97 ps205. Finally found one, attempt #5 for this summer. Hopefully this one works out. I think it's a good deal. Just need some more up close pictures and on-the-water video then I'll send some money to hold the boat before I make the 9hr drive. Should be able to ski into November here in OK so no plans to winterize after I get'er.

supturb89
09-15-2010, 02:47 PM

Just when you think you have your plan of action set for the off-season something like this pops up. New upholstery, new carpet, bimini, new decals after paint restore, now in the past two days I have to powdercoat my trailer and now my windshield frame. I love it!:D

rgardjr1
09-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Winterized yesterday and towed it back up to the garage at the lake today :(

mtajpa
09-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Washed it down and dried it off after a full day on the lake.

MachinedConcepts
09-16-2010, 07:31 PM
pulled the back firewalls off to find that I have three ballast pumps, with three different part numbers. I have 4 blower ducts, only one of which is connected to a single blower unit, some random wires, and some weird 'tee' plumbing on the starboard side ballast manifold. Thoughts? Or am I just anal?

justtrimit
09-18-2010, 08:05 PM
I fixed the trailer guides today. I need to get the plates welded on the bottom to strengthen it. Heading to Parker Arizona the next 2 weekends need it to be in good shape. Also wetsanded the back of the boat to help some oxidation from the previous owner.

Miss Rita
09-18-2010, 09:51 PM
New LED tail-lights from Harbor Freight: $50.

Removed the welded-on plate for the factory tongue jack, which was broken. The welds on the jack were probably strong enough to hoist the entire rig.

Next: replace the stupid boat restraining bar with a proper winch and winch stand.

medicmoose
09-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Got it all drained of water and ready for an antifreeze flush tomorrow. It's a sad day!

gatorguy
09-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Working on: buying a 97 ps205. Finally found one, attempt #5 for this summer. Hopefully this one works out. I think it's a good deal. Just need some more up close pictures and on-the-water video then I'll send some money to hold the boat before I make the 9hr drive. Should be able to ski into November here in OK so no plans to winterize after I get'er.

More negotiations today. Still waiting on pictures..... I don't like waiting.

turn1andburn1
09-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Flushed the 351 with antifreeze and put her to bed. Was -5 deg C last night.

ntidsl
09-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Shampoo's carpets twice, protected the upholstery, waxed the hull, sides, and inside fiberglass, 303'd the rail, checked tranny cooler for debris, wiped out the bilge, covered and said goodbye for the week. Marked down 395 hours on my log book.

LaRue
09-19-2010, 07:00 PM
what do you use to shampoo your carpets?

mtajpa
09-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Washed it down and dried it off after a full day on the lake.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!

Double D
09-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Took it to a house party on Portage lakes.

mig
10-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Getting closer to install time - but the weather is too nice to be in the shop!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Getting closer to install time - but the weather is too nice to be in the shop!

That is one pretty engine. :cool:

mig
10-01-2010, 11:13 PM
That is one pretty engine. :cool:

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. I keep trying to tell my wife it needs to match the boat, but she is laughing at the effort. I have assured her it will get better gas milage too but it hasn't helped at all. The grandboys think it's right on - that's the test that matters!

jipster43
10-02-2010, 07:08 PM
That engine has bawls!!!

In keeping with the thread, I installed Perfect Pass Stargazer in my '93 S&S. It is absolutely incredible. However I have run into a mysterious leak coming from somewhere which is odd because there's no drilling involved. See link.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38093

JP :)

Big Dogg
10-02-2010, 07:17 PM
deleted, sorry all

Big Dogg
10-02-2010, 07:17 PM
That engine has bawls!!!

In keeping with the thread, I installed Perfect Pass Stargazer in my '93 S&S. It is absolutely incredible. However I have run into a mysterious leak coming from somewhere which is odd because there's no drilling involved. See link.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38093

JP :)

See my post in your other tread... that should fix the problem!

supturb89
10-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Spent the day yesterday removing all my interior to take to the upholster. I also replaced the thermostat and removed the heater from the boat. The PO had disconnected the water line from the heater??? :confused: I went ahead and pulled it out because it was in the way of me getting the starboard side front backrest out of the boat. Some pics (as they say it looks worse before it looks better).

tex
10-04-2010, 12:40 PM
I put a new impeller in on Saturday. Our team was doing a photo shoot with a Dallas Artist(another story for later) when my impeller smoked. It was nice to have a spare and be back up and running in 5 minutes. That is why you always carry an extra! I had the only boat for the shoot and the day would have been blown without a spare.

LaRue
10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
took off former decals and replaced with 29" Flexor Chrome. Rub rail was also changed. Original color no longer available so went with black. Wish i had a few photos on the water but finding it hard to get there with the colder weather and shorter days.

BEFORE

AFTER

russlars
10-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Hey LaRue, that looks sharp! Like the black rub rail also. How much did the rub rail set you back? Only thing I did with my boat today was put it in the lake and ski behind it!:D

LaRue
10-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Rub rail and channel- around $250. That doesn't include shipping which runs high due to the fact the channel comes in 16' sections. Personally i like the look much better and provides a nicer foundation for future upgrades.

kingwoodlee
10-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I just installed the following in my 05 X-10. New 06 rudder and box. New raw water pump from SKIDIM. 3 New green jabsco impellers in the ballast pumps. Made a rudder box grease fitting relocator hose. (will post a picture later)

Bouyhead
10-08-2010, 04:04 PM
FINALLY got my Stargazer upgrade dialed in this morning. Hope to ski tomorrow and give it
the real test. Customer service at Perfect Pass has been top notch.

GrandProStar
10-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I wash and waxed the exterior and cleaned the interior (unfortunately, it isn't done yet). Soon she'll be in the garage for the winter.

03geetee
10-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Installed a new winch and nylon strap on the trailer for the trip from WI back home to Chitown for the winter.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Fall2010043.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Fall2010042.jpg

JTR

sully
10-10-2010, 10:04 PM
started to get her ready for winter....

lanier92prostar
10-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Put gas in mine for a ski run today:D

wheelerlake
10-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Took it off the lift, considered a ski run but put it on the trailer instead:(. Washed, Meguair's 49'd it; hubby did his winterizing part. Found broken spark plug. Polishing and waxing to come. Listened to Packers game all the while, glad we didn't waste time watching the game:mad:

TOO-TALL
10-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Burned a full tank of gas saturday rid'n...:)

Adjusted the gas gauge sending unit.I'll see next time out if its close.

turn1andburn1
10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Tarped her in for the winter:(
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww44/turn2andburn2/photo2-2.jpg

FoggyNogginz
10-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Winterized, replaced bearings, rewired trailer, pulled battery, replaced tires. Done for the season :-(

Table Rocker
10-16-2010, 09:24 PM
I went from this:
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/9677/beforegy.jpg
To this:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7374/aftersm.jpg
I tried 3M Finesse-It II and Meguiar's plastic polish with poor results. Arm & Hammer Peroxi Care toothpaste worked like a champ, minty fresh too. Followed up with some cleaner wax and ready to reinstall.

beef
10-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Finally replaced the manifolds and risers in my 98 205. After almost 1200 awesome skiing hours and 13 seasons, they still looked surprisingly good!

ksdaoski
10-17-2010, 10:03 AM
looks great, nice job!

I tried 3M Finesse-It II and Meguiar's plastic polish with poor results. Arm & Hammer Peroxi Care toothpaste worked like a champ, minty fresh too. Followed up with some cleaner wax and ready to reinstall.

kingwoodlee
01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I went from this:
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/9677/beforegy.jpg
To this:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7374/aftersm.jpg

Most people brush their teeth with toothpaste, but not our Forum members, they devise a way to use it to to keep their prized possessions looking gooood!

remiller
01-27-2011, 07:07 AM
I also check to see if the boat is on the lift . Then I go to the front yard to see if the trailer is still there . Just restored the trailer,so excited about that. Got my frame & fender decals from Rambo Marine yesterday . .

rjracin240
01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Ordered a new Holley 4160 from Advance Auto $445 for my 1988 190 Prostar!

AZx30OD
01-27-2011, 12:16 PM
My LCD display was faltering on my PerfectPass Pro, so I ordered a new display and upgraded to Star Gazer while I was at it. Truly a simple plug and play upgrade on my 07 X30.

Now tackling some gelcoat repairs for some minor chips.

jamica joe
01-27-2011, 12:24 PM
took off former decals and replaced with 29" Flexor Chrome. Rub rail was also changed. Original color no longer available so went with black. Wish i had a few photos on the water but finding it hard to get there with the colder weather and shorter days.

BEFORE

AFTER

Can you take me thru the process of replacing the rub rail... I had a little run with a pontoon boat at the dock!!

LaRue
01-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Not sure what you sort of guidance you are seeking. depends if you are replacing a portion or all and would depend if you are looking to replace just the insert of channel.

My advice would be to contact dealer, get what you need (see if color is still available) and then it is a matter of removing old and attaching the new. Make sure to use epoxy in the mounting holes. the warmer the material the better.

jamica joe
01-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Not sure what you sort of guidance you are seeking. depends if you are replacing a portion or all and would depend if you are looking to replace just the insert of channel.

My advice would be to contact dealer, get what you need (see if color is still available) and then it is a matter of removing old and attaching the new. Make sure to use epoxy in the mounting holes. the warmer the material the better.

Just not sure how to get started... There are so many good step by step threads for almost everything that you can / could do, but I have nor seen one that describes this replacement.

Joe

Kyle
01-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Just not sure how to get started... There are so many good step by step threads for almost everything that you can / could do, but I have nor seen one that describes this replacement.

Joe

I would pull the insert out of the rail all of the way around the boat. There is a cap on the back of the boat were the rail starts and finishes.

Then drill out the rivets and remove the rail from the boat.

Your new rail will come in 15 ft sticks. My be 10 foot but I think they are 15 foot.

Use a heat gun to bend the rail. I measured my rails and cut the sticks so that they would be uniform and even. With the wasted part of the stick I heated it and bended it to see how to work the plastic. How hot was too hot and if it would change color. After heating and bending along with re riveting the new rail, re install the insert.

I filled up a bath tub or a big bucket and put the roll of insert in hot water for a while. It is like unrolling cable. You want it to get warm so you can work with it. Start putting the insert into the rail. A heat gun is required for this as well.

If you dont have a heat gun go get one from Home Depot or hardware store. They are not too costly.

Project should take a Saturday afternoon. On mine, I drilled some extra holes through the top cap and the bottom hull and riveted the rail and the hulls together more than what the factory did to make mine a little more strudy.

SunCoast 83
01-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Bought a new bilge pump. Never installed one.....any pointers?

Thanks

03geetee
01-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Bought a new bilge pump. Never installed one.....any pointers?

Thanks

I didnt replace my pump, but removed everything for an interior revamp so pretty much the same. Go ahead and remove the following....(you dont have to but I like to clean things up while Im in there and have as much room as possible)

-Observers chair/bench upper
-Observers lower fiberglass frame
-ski pylon
-open your doghouse
-remove the battery cables/battery

Other then that its simply removing the first fiberglass panel in front of the doghouse (screws) and exposing a nice area to work in. While your in there replace the hose and clamps too. Test it all before you reinstall it and your good!

heres a pic of the mess I started with....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Boat010.jpg

Anything else just ask!

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
01-28-2011, 08:16 PM
I didnt replace my pump, but removed everything for an interior revamp so pretty much the same. Go ahead and remove the following....(you dont have to but I like to clean things up while Im in there and have as much room as possible)

-ski pylon
-open your doghouse

Other then that its simply removing the first fiberglass panel in front of the doghouse (screws) and exposing a nice area to work in. While your in there replace the hose and clamps too. Test it all before you reinstall it and your good!

Anything else just ask!

JTR

What, no after picture???

03geetee
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
What, no after picture???

She goes for interior this monday! Carpet, new vinyl, then I will send all the chrome trim to get replated. I cannot wait, which means you will have to as well!

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
01-28-2011, 11:38 PM
She goes for interior this monday! Carpet, new vinyl, then I will send all the chrome trim to get replated. I cannot wait, which means you will have to as well!

JTR

I'm sure you wont forget about us when the boat comes back all pretty. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

davidstan
01-29-2011, 08:15 AM
major detail and change bilge hose for blower. Fun! Selling her next week and looking for newer MC.

tex
01-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Threw my new jacket onto the backseat!

medicmoose
01-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I worked on getting all of the snow off of it...another storm rolled through. Good thing that wrap material is strong!

03geetee
01-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Made a new floor section for behind the motor box with some marine plywood. Test fitted all the new fasteners and predrilled some pilot holes. Now its time for some resin and a few days to cure, then paint and shes finally ready for the interior shop.

JTR

H20skeefreek
01-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Still working on the 383 replacement engine.

Maybe this has been asked elsewhere, but if you don't mind me asking, how much did those manifolds set you back?

Slinkyredfoot
01-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Uncovered and sat in it for 10 minutes or so, then covered it back up :rolleyes:

ctjahn
01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Well,

Pretty good day... Wish I had somewhere to put the boat while I do trailer work but...

I started working on the trailer a bit. Ground down the area a bit around the cracks and holes on the left fender. The right one is ok but the left one is a bit cracked with a hole over the top of the fender. Glassed a bit on the top side. Next time I grind the back side of the hole and cracks a bit and glass that in.

On the boat itself, the fins had silicone that was peeling off and what appeared to be a sloppy application of pipe dope like substance. Cleaned out all the loose stuff. Next time continue the process on the rudder and the prop shaft bracket...

SO...what do people use to seal these items? Silicone? Pipe Dope? Caulk? Seems like the silicone used wasnt good enough or the surfaces were not clean/dry when applied.

Cj

G-Star
01-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Well,

Pretty good day... Wish I had somewhere to put the boat while I do trailer work but...

I started working on the trailer a bit. Ground down the area a bit around the cracks and holes on the left fender. The right one is ok but the left one is a bit cracked with a hole over the top of the fender. Glassed a bit on the top side. Next time I grind the back side of the hole and cracks a bit and glass that in.

On the boat itself, the fins had silicone that was peeling off and what appeared to be a sloppy application of pipe dope like substance. Cleaned out all the loose stuff. Next time continue the process on the rudder and the prop shaft bracket...

SO...what do people use to seal these items? Silicone? Pipe Dope? Caulk? Seems like the silicone used wasnt good enough or the surfaces were not clean/dry when applied.

Cj

I believe what is typically used for below-waterline sealant is 3M 5200.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7_nid=GSWWSBSW85beQ H8HT14PGTgl&WT.ac=keymatch

thatsmrmastercraft
01-30-2011, 06:12 PM
I looked at my boat sitting out in the snow (brushed the snow off the cover yesterday) on my way to the garage to work on my snowmobile. :confused:

wheelerlake
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Ours smiled and did a little shiver when we gave it a salute as we took the snowmobiles out for a 125 mile ride;)

ctjahn
01-30-2011, 09:29 PM
I believe what is typically used for below-waterline sealant is 3M 5200.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7_nid=GSWWSBSW85beQ H8HT14PGTgl&WT.ac=keymatch

THX! I will give it a shot and see how it goes...
cj

H20skeefreek
01-31-2011, 07:20 AM
I sold 3m 5200 for 7 years. DO NOT USE IT! USE 3M 4200. 5200 is NON-removable EVER. In my opinion, and the opinion of the 3M rep, there really is no reason to ever use 5200.

Willski
01-31-2011, 09:27 AM
I looked Saturday to see if it was still in my other garage....yep....still there.

kdr
01-31-2011, 01:36 PM
It was 68 here yesterday so I took the winter coat off yesterday, took it to the ramp and it didn't have enough juice to fire up and my jump pack was too low. So took it home, put a trickle charger on it and wrapped it back up until the next break in the cold weather.

kingwoodlee
01-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Installed a new steering cable in my X-10. Bought it from Skidim, great people BTW.

remiller
02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Took the boat out for a ride this past Sunday . Our lake connects to 6 others ,so you can get caught up in site seeing & just enjoying the purrrr of the Lt1 cruising around . . . . Pryer to taking off, we detailed the interior including vacuming and armorall .. By the way , we are in central fl. and the temp this past sunday 1-30-11 was 73 degrees . .

rjracin240
02-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Went and picked up my new Holley 4160. Prior owner had installed an automotive 4160 that started leaking at the vacuum diaphragm for the secondaries. Replaced it with a remanufactured 4160 that could not get dialed in (coming off of idle speed and dumping throttle engine would instantly die, if you coaxed it up over 2,000RPM it would run no problem 2k to WOT). Hopefully it will run no problem, any words of wisdom on its installation would be appreciated

SunCoast 83
02-01-2011, 09:33 PM

-ski pylon
-open your doghouse

Anything else just ask!

JTR

Thank you for the tips.....but I wont be taking it down as far as you. Mine has already been through that :D
How is the pump fixed to the hull of boat?

matt
02-05-2011, 06:38 PM
The LT1 is on the stand in the shop getting freshened up. Bolted on the NEW heads and torqued the ARP bolts. I then got a little gung-ho and bolted up the new chevrolet waterpump. Planning on next week getting the new roller rockers on, priming the oil system, then bolting on the fuel injection and wiring harness.

east tx skier
02-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Threw my new jacket onto the backseat!

Kind of in the same boat. No "need" to projects. I paid for the new depth finder/water temp/air temp gauge and clock install and will be getting a battery switch installed at the same time. Paid for some old parts as well as a new fuel filter today. Sort of like that old Honda commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ve4M4UsJQo). Isn't it nice when everything just works. Of course, that doesn't stop me from fixing what "ain't broke."

LaRue
02-05-2011, 07:57 PM
What brand and model depth/temp guage did u go with?

tex
02-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Kind of in the same boat. No "need" to projects. I paid for the new depth finder/water temp/air temp gauge and clock install and will be getting a battery switch installed at the same time. Paid for some old parts as well as a new fuel filter today. Sort of like that old Honda commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ve4M4UsJQo). Isn't it nice when everything just works. Of course, that doesn't stop me from fixing what "ain't broke."

Did go pick up my snow skis from getting bindings mounted!

sand2snow22
02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Swapped my trailer lights to LED's. Only have the 3 light bar underneath to go!

east tx skier
02-05-2011, 09:09 PM
What brand and model depth/temp guage did u go with?

Faria with a thru hull transducer that was special ordered to fill the 2" hole of my Perfect Pass Paddle Wheel Speedo. Figured I wasn't using with SG other than for Water Temp, so I got something that will do Depth and Water temp from that location.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413XZ5TAPJL.jpg

east tx skier
02-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Did go pick up my snow skis from getting bindings mounted!

What skis and bindings?

Jeff Lyman
02-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Had my son brush 18 inches of snow off the cover rap before we get another 9 tonight.

mig
02-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Carpet done! Now the vinyl sure looks shabby.

LaRue
02-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Faria with a thru hull transducer that was special ordered to fill the 2" hole of my Perfect Pass Paddle Wheel Speedo. Figured I wasn't using with SG other than for Water Temp, so I got something that will do Depth and Water temp from that location.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413XZ5TAPJL.jpg

thanks. that is the same unit i am planning on ordering.

sand2snow22
02-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Carpet done! Now the vinyl sure looks shabby.

Looks great!

MC4SNETS
02-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Carpet looks great!

I did nothing on the MC today but should have been out on the lake, mid-70's here today, got a little sunburn at the kid's baseball practice!

Sorry for those of you in the rest of the country digging out of snow and ice. Shorts and T-shirt weather with windows and doors open all day and evening.

73 degrees and sunny tomorrow......maybe Global Warming only effects California?

gatorguy
02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Still sanding my teak. I've been at it a few weeks now. What a pain! I have the old style with a space between every other board. I think they look good but it exponentioally increases the surface area to be sanded. And you can't get at it with the 6" orbital sander so it's hours of little bits of sandpaper wrapped around pencils and lots of sore fingers. Too bad no one that steps on it will appreciate the beauty but me and the other teak freaks on this forum.

dirtk38
02-06-2011, 09:44 AM
And you can't get at it with the 6" orbital sander so it's hours of little bits of sandpaper wrapped around pencils and lots of sore fingers.

This is next on my list (after I finish my rear seat), and I was planning on using a Dremel to get in between all the slats. Any reason you didn't/couldn't use something like that?

gatorguy
02-06-2011, 02:41 PM
This is next on my list (after I finish my rear seat), and I was planning on using a Dremel to get in between all the slats. Any reason you didn't/couldn't use something like that?

You could, but you have to be real careful not to make gouges if you hold still in one place too long. Someone had recommended taking a dowel, splitting it partway down one end, placing the other end in your drill, and then putting sandpaper in the slit. We tried it, but it is hard to get sideways pressure on such a long lever-arm. Also my son was running the drill while I used the orbital and we now have a few ripples in our teak.

I found a flat paint scraper/spackle knife works well too.

Good luck, lets see some picts of that rear seat when your done.

1985 Skiier
02-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Rebuilt my buddies Carb for his 85 S&S. It had poor top end and smelled like gas. I found a bad power valve (hard to push and wrinkles on the diaphram) and a misaligned float with a bad needle. Put it back together with chapstick instead of the sticky glue %$#$ that the previous joker used. Hope it works! I set the air fuel needles at 1 1/2 out. I can't remember if that is the setting for the 4160 or if that was the setting on my Jeep. Anyone remember?

milkmania
02-06-2011, 04:39 PM

I used one of these on the drill at SLOW speed

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6132260.jpghttp://images.orgill.com/200x200/6132187.jpg

I was pleased with the results.
made a "table" with platform and saw horses...proceeded slowly, really watched what I was doing.
It didn't take that long

milkmania
02-06-2011, 04:42 PM

JTR

you're sending out the carpet work?
can you keep us updated with pictures?

ctjahn
02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Well,

Cj

More glasswork today on the fender. Really wish I had a place to put the boat while working on the trailer...Continued cleaning the old loose sealer out around the fins, rudder and etc...

cj

03geetee
02-07-2011, 12:09 PM
you're sending out the carpet work?
can you keep us updated with pictures?

Got a great price on the carpet with the new vinyl couldnt pass it up.

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
02-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Rebuilt my buddies Carb for his 85 S&S. It had poor top end and smelled like gas. I found a bad power valve (hard to push and wrinkles on the diaphram) and a misaligned float with a bad needle. Put it back together with chapstick instead of the sticky glue %$#$ that the previous joker used. Hope it works! I set the air fuel needles at 1 1/2 out. I can't remember if that is the setting for the 4160 or if that was the setting on my Jeep. Anyone remember?

That will get you up and going. May need a need a little fine tuning from there.

Where did you use the chapstick (certainly better than glue)? Shouldn't be any gasket adhesive or sealer used on a carb. I always buy the blue reusable gaskets. They really work great.

SunCoast 83
02-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Waiting on a price quote from Liquid Sports on a stero, sub, and remote. Time to upgrade the old system before Spring

remiller
02-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Need guide posts for my "95" trailer as the old ones rotted off. I know they require welding or is there a plan B that functions and looks nice ? Everything else has been redone and we are pleased w/the results . . .

gatorguy
02-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Good looking trailer. Your driver looks like she's having a good time. I'm jealous, we are supposed to get about another foot of snow tonight.