PDA

View Full Version : Bent Shaft or Out of Alignment?

J NORRIS
08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Hit a submerged log in the river and had to replace my original prop from 2001. thks to Eric at OJ, got me a new one, and I had hoped that would be the end of it. Not so much.....took the boat out this past weekend and noticed some very small vibrations around 10-20mph. above 20 not noticable. After I got the boat back out of the water I noticed the shaft was to one side of the "shaft guide", and offset coming out of the hull. I was able to move the prop with one hand and now it takes two with force. I have never needed to use the bilge pump while out in the boat, (except one time I had a wally moment and forgot the plug) that was the only time I have needed the bilge. But I had to use the bilge once during a 6 hour outing.:(

JMann
08-24-2009, 07:32 PM
That might be normal. I have a slight vibration around that speed but it's only noticable when I'm looking in the mirror watching a boarder.
I'd be more worried about the water coming in you might need to tighten the packing nut if you have one.
I will be interested to see the responses you get.

TMCNo1
08-24-2009, 07:34 PM
It could be a one of or a combination of several things besides the prop, bent shaft, bent strut and the drive train being knocked out of alignment.

J NORRIS
08-24-2009, 08:02 PM
JMann, No.1 thanks for the reply, the boat did not have that vibration before the hit. And I never had to use two hands to turn the prop before. Look like the strut "shaft guide" is bent to me, but thats why I posted it to get some answers from the pros.

Skipper
08-24-2009, 09:26 PM
One way to test the shaft for a bend is to disconnect the shaft coupling from the transmission coupling. Move the prop shaft back about 1/8" to create a visible gap. Then, observe the gap as you rotate the prop shaft. If the size of the gap changes during rotation the shaft is likely bent. If not...then....

While the shaft is disconnected, it is a good time to check alignment. Use a feeler guage. Check the gap from the 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock positions. The measurements should be the same within .003 inches.

J NORRIS
08-25-2009, 03:20 PM
I filled the hull with water to see where it's coming in at. and the water was leaking from the shaft log. I guess the packing gland needs to be tightened? What proceedure needs to happen for it to be water tight again? Tighten up the hose clamps and reseal?