PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofoiling

Waterski-Marcoisland
06-05-2005, 09:55 PM
If yo have not tried it your missing out..

www.waterskimarcoisland.com

www.skyski.com

SkySkiSpokane
06-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I agree!!! :steering:
Some more links...

www.foilfreaks.com
www.airjunky.com
www.usha.org

More links are in the above pages.

BG1772
06-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Hydrofoiling is the greatest! I use to be a diehard course skiier and got sick of waiting for water. Best thing about hydrofoiling is you can do it in any conditions!

Foiler
06-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Agreed, nothing else even comes close. You don't have to wait on smooth water because you're flying above it.

BG1772
06-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Has anybody landed a front flip? Have any adivce? I'm ready to start trying.

aprgriggs
06-08-2005, 10:55 AM
I would love to try but I never see anyone with a chair. Maybe one of you guy will have one at Greeson over the 4th.

bradamerry
06-08-2005, 11:30 AM
I would love to try but I never see anyone with a chair. Maybe one of you guy will have one at Greeson over the 4th.
April are you ready for Greeson??? I bet me and Farmer saw 10 MCs there on Memorial weekend. We could have 4 in our camp on the 4th. Farmer 98', me 87', my couisn 83 S&S, and a friend just came over from the dark... He had a 75' SN and upgraded to an 88' 190... :banana:

sizzler
06-08-2005, 11:37 AM
brad ,,,where is greeson??

bradamerry
06-08-2005, 11:38 AM
brad ,,,where is greeson??
Southwest Arkansas.

tex
06-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Southwest Arkansas.
close by city?

bradamerry
06-08-2005, 11:46 AM
close by city?
40 miles southwest of Hot Springs.... 5 miles north of Murfreesboro

AirJunky
Hey April,
Some of the best riders in the world ride right there in the Dallas area. You should try to plan the Texas Flyin on the Brazos.
http://www.txflyin.com

Or the Lousiana Flyin at: http://cinchmax.com/_wsn/page4.html

Haven't tried a front intentionally yet. But I've caught the tip of the board on the rope in a front roll quite a few times & it threw me into a front flip! The landings are cake if you make it 3/4 of the way around..... just plop on your back. The rotation is a wild one, you see water, water, water, sky, sky, sky, BOAT!

sizzler
that helps...thanks brad :D

not to be erked off,,,but i just became a fanatic......i knew this anyway

bradamerry
06-08-2005, 11:50 AM
that helps...thanks brad :D

not to be erked off,,,but i just became a fanatic......i knew this anyway
You are still leading the MVP voting for the List!!! :worthy:

So are you coming to Greeson on the 4th there Siz??? ;)

sizzler
06-08-2005, 11:55 AM
i'm actually in New Zealand watching the british lions take on the all blacks at rugby union.....10 days on business...

in the immortal words of Hawk and Animal"oh what a ruuussshhhh"

i leave at 10pm on thurs 30 june and get to NZ on sat afternoon at 2-0-clock...man what a flight...........then 10 days of continuous drinking :headbang:

BG1772
06-08-2005, 04:56 PM
You caught the tip on a roll and threw you into a front flip? That must have been an interesting sight. The hardest part for me on trying to throw a front, is getting the nerve up to throw my face at the water.

AirJunky
06-08-2005, 05:34 PM
You caught the tip on a roll and threw you into a front flip?
You got it, BG. On a front roll, if you try to do a progressive cut like you do on a back roll, it is easy (for me) to make the tip of the board to get past the rope. Ie; if your cutting left to right, the tip has to go up & around the left side of the rope. If it goes on the right side & you do a monster jump, the rope will hold the tip of the board down, essentially throwing you into a front flip. I don't know how many times I've done it but the rotation is freaky to say the least. I've seen it on video & it looks like I threw a front flip.

Foiler
06-08-2005, 05:59 PM
QUOTE=BG1772]Has anybody landed a front flip? Have any adivce? I'm ready to start trying.[/QUOTE]

I landed a front last year at the end of the season, finally taught my daughter to drive this year so I could have someone working the trick release.

It seems to help to jump at a steep angle up the wake that way the line tension pulls you over instead of having to pull on the rope so much. Pulling on the rope works also but sometimes I would end up turning in towards the boat/rope, that's where the trick release comes in.

The hardest thing about a front is getting yourself to throw the first one, I think the self presevation comon sense thing gets in the way.

Anyways good luck!

Anyone going to the TNfly-in

tex
06-09-2005, 09:19 AM
QUOTE=BG1772]Has anybody landed a front flip? Have any adivce? I'm ready to start trying.

I landed a front last year at the end of the season, finally taught my daughter to drive this year so I could have someone working the trick release.

It seems to help to jump at a steep angle up the wake that way the line tension pulls you over instead of having to pull on the rope so much. Pulling on the rope works also but sometimes I would end up turning in towards the boat/rope, that's where the trick release comes in.

The hardest thing about a front is getting yourself to throw the first one, I think the self presevation comon sense thing gets in the way.

Anyways good luck!

Anyone going to the TNfly-in[/QUOTE]
Always have a good pinner! Anybody going to the Texas Fly-in?

Foiler
06-09-2005, 11:11 AM
I'd like to hit the Txfly-in, I've heard it's always a good one.
I'm planning on going to the TN, MI, and then ILfly-in, I'd like to go them all.

BG1772
06-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. What kind of trick release are you using? I have a cinchmax velcro release, but it would be nice to have a trick release that can be manually released.

I've done a couple of Front Rolls, but they were primarily on accident. After reading your account of how you ended up doing a front flip, I can totally see how that is possible.

I want to go to the TN Flyin, but it will be a last minute thing if I can go. If I can make it, hopefully I'll meet some of you.

BG1772
06-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Foiler - Are you from the NW Ohio area? I think we've met through Kevin Klosterman.

tex
06-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. What kind of trick release are you using? I have a cinchmax velcro release, but it would be nice to have a trick release that can be manually released.

I've done a couple of Front Rolls, but they were primarily on accident. After reading your account of how you ended up doing a front flip, I can totally see how that is possible.

I want to go to the TN Flyin, but it will be a last minute thing if I can go. If I can make it, hopefully I'll meet some of you.
i have the one from lake elmo. that have a recreational one and a nice one. I bought the rec. one. It works good but if I had to do it again, i would have spent the money on the nicer one. It just releases alot better.

BG1772
06-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Tex - Do you have a link to a website for the release? I searched for Lake Elmo, but only found links to a lake in MN.

tex
06-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Tex - Do you have a link to a website for the release? I searched for Lake Elmo, but only found links to a lake in MN.

www.lakeelmosports.com

BG1772
06-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Tex - Thanks for the link. Do you have any issue with mounting it on the zero flex tower? I would assume that it has be mounted sideways from how it is pictured on the web site.

tex
06-09-2005, 12:34 PM
i have mine on the pylon. i am just doing rolls on my foil. your issue on the tower would be getting the correct angle for the person to pull pin.

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 02:18 PM
All I use is the Cinch velcro release. Only had it cut loose on me a couple of times, and the trick had gone bad so it was a good thing.

You know that Sky Ski / Comptech has a release now days, right? It's kind of spendy but has an automatic & manual setting. The auto setting can be set according to the amount of stress or force applied, ie; you set it to release earlier on a heli than on a front flip since the risk is you getting your arm caught in the handle on the heli & the foil on the front. That release is made to work on towers too.

BG1772
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
The sky ski release is nice, but $ is a bit steep. I'll probably keep using my cinch release.

Foiler
06-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Foiler - Are you from the NW Ohio area? I think we've met through Kevin Klosterman.

Brett, hey how's it going...good to hear you're still foiling. I bought the recreational release 2" so it fits my tower.

http://www.lakeelmosports.com/index.cfm?id=118103&fuseaction=browse&pageid=134

We try to go out as much as possible, you'll have to come and join us.
You can try all the fronts you want, I can show you what not to do.
You're only a little over an hour from where we ride.

Waterski-Marcoisland
06-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Try them on the trampoline first, get them dialed on the tramp and once you hit the water just wait to throw your front until the foil clears the water, from there the rotation is the same, make shure you tie a rope to a tree or something to get the best results. :dance:

AirJunky
06-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Try them on the trampoline first, get them dialed on the tramp and once you hit the water just wait to throw your front until the foil clears the water, from there the rotation is the same, make shure you tie a rope to a tree or something to get the best results. :dance:
Man, be very careful on those things. I know a guy who just spent 2 years rehabilitating from a neck injury on a trampoline. He spent 4 hours laying there waiting for someone to come by & help...... the whole time knowing he was screwed.
Use a spotter, multiple spotters even.

BG1772
06-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Keith, I'd like to come join you guys for some riding. You're welcome to come down to Columbus and ride at Griggs with us also. Are you still going out of indian lake?

Assuming that my boss approves the vacation, I'm heading to Dale Hollow the same weekend as the Flyin. Maybe I'll see you there.

aprgriggs
06-10-2005, 11:16 AM
April are you ready for Greeson??? I bet me and Farmer saw 10 MCs there on Memorial weekend. We could have 4 in our camp on the 4th. Farmer 98', me 87', my couisn 83 S&S, and a friend just came over from the dark... He had a 75' SN and upgraded to an 88' 190... :banana:

yeah...we are leaving for Destin, FL on the 19th and then I get back and head straight to greeson.

We will have an X9, X45, X30 there. We will cruise by your camp and say hi. Plus I heard that you guys can cook and you like cold beer. ;)

aprgriggs
06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey April,
Some of the best riders in the world ride right there in the Dallas area. You should try to plan the Texas Flyin on the Brazos.
http://www.txflyin.com

Or the Lousiana Flyin at: http://cinchmax.com/_wsn/page4.html

Haven't tried a front intentionally yet. But I've caught the tip of the board on the rope in a front roll quite a few times & it threw me into a front flip! The landings are cake if you make it 3/4 of the way around..... just plop on your back. The rotation is a wild one, you see water, water, water, sky, sky, sky, BOAT!

Hey AirJunky, I would love to check it out but your link is busted. Send it to me aprgriggs@yahoo.com

AirJunky
06-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Hmmmm, try this link instead: http://www.texasflyin.com

Foiler
06-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Brett, We're still at Indian Lake and Celina...there's about 6-8 riding sky skis at Celina. Kind of nice to see new riders exciting about riding. Where you going to be at Dale Hollow, Kraig is also going to be there on Vacation that week at holly creek.

The fly-in is out of sunset, just keep making lefts from the marina and you'll run into the fly-in houseboats...eagle creek. I'll be there all week then I return home for a week then right back for a family vacation...Hope I can hold up.

Keith, I'd like to come join you guys for some riding. You're welcome to come down to Columbus and ride at Griggs with us also. Are you still going out of indian lake?

Assuming that my boss approves the vacation, I'm heading to Dale Hollow the same weekend as the Flyin. Maybe I'll see you there.

BG1772
06-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Sweet on getting more people into Hydrofoiling. We have two full time foilers on my boat and a couple of part timers, but it is still fun. I get such a kick out of when people who have never seen a sky ski before follow you up and down the river. Cracks me up.

We're staying at Holly Creek. Got a cabin from the 24th to the 27th. I've got a Grey and White '01 X-Star and we'll also have a blue and white '99 X-Star with us. Keep an eye out for us We're planning to head to sunset on Saturday to check out the fly in. Thanks for the location - I know exactly where eagle creek is.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-23-2005, 09:39 AM
SO I know NOTHING about foiling, but it sure looks fun!! Let me ask a few dumb questions...

1. Do you need a wakeboard boat to do it? I assume you need a serious wake to get air. Or can you pull it off with a Prostar?

2. what boat speed? what rope length?

3. HOW the hell do you start out on one of those?? is it difficult to get on plane/out of the water? do you need help getting on plane? or can you do it alone?

I have never seen anyone do foiling, I have just seen some pictures. so I am cuious about it. What can you tell me? I am clueless on this, really. :confused:

Thanks!

FrankSchwab
06-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm not an expert, but I can get my fat behind out of the water on my Air Chair, so I'll try answering.

SO I know NOTHING about foiling, but it sure looks fun!! Let me ask a few dumb questions...

1. Do you need a wakeboard boat to do it? I assume you need a serious wake to get air. Or can you pull it off with a Prostar?

Nah, any old boat'll do. I learned on a ProStar 190. With the hydrofoil, the boat wake isn't nearly so important as it is for Wakeboarding.

2. what boat speed? what rope length?

We started out about 18 mph, and currently run about 21-22. Rope length is not very important at first, though a non-stretch (Spectra) rope sure does make it easier. We're still running a full length rope (70-75 feet).

3. HOW the hell do you start out on one of those?? is it difficult to get on plane/out of the water? do you need help getting on plane? or can you do it alone?

It's pretty easy - much easier than a deep-water slalom start, for example. Basically, you strap yourself into the chair (seatbelt and boots), and get comfortable sitting in the water with the board part of the hydrofoil at about a 45 degree angle, 6 inches or so of the tip out of the water. You can sit there all day; it's a very stable position. Grab the rope, get the slack out, and go. You have to lean back during the initial pull to keep the tip from sinking, then it's probably best to lean forward as the boat is accelerating to speed. The board is very large, so it planes out on top of the water within a second or two. Wait for the boat to get up to speed, then start flying.

The start is the easy part; the flying takes quite a bit of practice to get stable at. But there's nothing like the feeling of absolute smoothness that you get when the board comes off the water and you're flying. Big rollers coming your way? Fly through them with nary a bump disturbing that big nasty grin on your face.

We were lucky; there's a ski shop in town that rented us an Air Chair for the first half-dozen times we took one out. My suggestion would be to go with someone who knows what they're doing; it'll cut down the learning curve. We were two engineers trying to figure it out ourselves; of course, that was a blast too.

/frank

06-23-2005, 11:03 AM
sounds good! anyone else got any input?

thanks! :D

06-23-2005, 11:27 AM
so what brand is better?? air chair or sky ski?

and If I was to buy a used one, what is a fair price??

And are there any older models to stay away from like if certain improvements were made?? Are newer ones better? or are the all the same?

Any specific things to look for when buying a used foil?

What advice can you give there??

This is really intruguing me. I might be able to convince a buddy of mine to go in half on a used foil with me.

so how to you get the foil up in the air then? from the board being on the water.

SO my prostar should work fine to tow one of these foils then?

And Where the hell to you put that thing on the boat!!!????? :confused: :eek: it is kinda big and akward

AirJunky
06-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Their pretty easy to learn to ride for most people, UMP. Let me know where your located & maybe I can hook you up with a rider in your area (Upper MI, duh?). There are almost 1000 riders who are members of the Hydrofoil Yahoogroup (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil) including a few riders throughout the midwest.
I learned behind a Larson & then skied for 3 yrs behind a SeaRay. A Prostar will have more than enough wake. You can get huge air just doing an air jump out in the flats.

2. what boat speed? what rope length? Learning, 12 - 15 mph & a 75' non-stretch rope. After you get dialed, up to 30 mph & whatever rope length puts you at the sweet spot in your wake.

It's a deep water start just like anything else. Just get on, sit down, hold on, lean back & giddyup! :headbang:
Watching these old slalom skiers try & ski it with their feet is 1/2 the fun of watching them learn!

06-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Watching these old slalom skiers try & ski it with their feet is 1/2 the fun of watching them learn!

I AM one of those "old" slalom skiers!!! :toast: so it should be a blast watching me learn too :headbang:

thanks for the input man :)

SO what do you people mean by a non stretching line?? I am an "OLD" ;) slalom skier that just uses a color coded slalom line. So what type of line do you mean? are there specific lines for foiling? or are slalom lines the same thing?

Forgive me for asking dumb questions....

so how do you actually get the foil to "fly"?? does it then ride on that lower metal wing?

I think I need to get some type of video on this..... any recommendations?

tex
06-23-2005, 11:54 AM
www.skyski.com

BG1772
06-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Non stretch ropes are "wakeboard ropes". A slalom rope has a bit of stretch to it, which you don't want when hydrofoiling. However, if all you have is a slalom rope, it will work.

Hydrofoiling is easy to learn. For me the most difficult thing was remembering to keep my weight forward instead of back.

I've had two air chars and now have a sky ski. I personally like the sky ski the best, but they are all fun to ride. If you can justify the cost, the sky ski with a shock tower is ver nice. You can often find both sky ski and air chairs on e-bay.

To get it to fly, you just change the angle of the foil in a rapid movement and then hang on! It is realy simple. Yes, you will spend most of your riding time up on the foil - very little time with the board on the water.

There are some good videos on http://www.foilfreaks.com/.

AirJunky
06-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Foil Freaks has great videos online or Josten's (http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jostan/Jostanfront/Pages/index.html) makes training videotapes & DVDs, also available from Sky Ski.

So when you do finally get on one, remember to relax your feet. Don't try to "ski" it with your feet as much as you do on a slalom ski or wakeboard or your going to spend some time recovering from some badass faceplants! :uglyhamme By leaning forward & backward you can adjust your foil height. Later you'll start using your feet a bit more, especially when you learn to jump & get inverted.

BG1772
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Good points foil freak! For sure don't try and control the hydrofoil with your feet when you are first learning.

I guarantee if you get the chance to ride one, you will get hooked! I know I did.

SkySkiSpokane
06-23-2005, 10:09 PM
JUST DO IT!!

I am an old slalom skier myself. I broke it out a couple times this season but you can say I am a "part-timer" now. :toast: