PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fluid Change

wiltok
08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Forget it - did a little searching online and found the answers to all my questions. Should have done that in the first place. Thanks for reading though... :) One point that I forgot that I wanted to remind everyone on is that the fluid level is checked without screwing in the dipstick. You just pull it out - wipe it off - and insert to check.

---------------------------------

Maintenance time! Can someone refresh my memory on a few specifics for a trans change (1:1 trans - 2001 X-9):

1) Fluid Type - will be using Dexron III/Mercon (left over from a previous year)
2) Capacity
3) Do you check the level running or not? Hot or cold?
4) I assume the proper level is between the two raised marks on the dipstick.

Tried a search - no luck. And my owners manual is up in the attic - tough to get to. Any of the details above will help - thanks!!!

okrazerback
08-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Where did you find the answers online?

wiltok
08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I found an online version of the Indmar owners manual. Here are the answers (again - straight drive (non-V):

-Dextron III (as I originally mentioned)
-Capacity is 1.7 qts (I put a little less than that in - can't suck all the old oil out. The first quart went easy, then of course I overfilled it, then sucked some out (too much!!) and then just right). When u get close to full - only add a little at a time.
-Never found the answer whether hot or cold, I just filled it cold.
-Engine off when checking. Most importantly, don't screw in the dipstick - just stick it in.
-Full when between the two marks on the dipstick. Important not to overfill - can seep past the seals. I just filled it until it was half way between the two marks.

Hope that helps!!