PDA

View Full Version : Guys with carbs???

deereman
08-21-2009, 11:30 PM
How long does it usually take for you guys to warm the engine up? Whenever I start it up, I have to let it roar at about 2000 rpm for about 3-4 minutes before I can idle it down and put it in gear or it will quit. Does it take you guys that long? Is the automatic choke maybe not working? Does it need a simple adjustment or a rebuild? The carb is an edelbrock which I believe is one that was made by I think wells. Thanks for the help. It's really starting to annoy me. P.S. It also starts hard when it's warm too.

Mr_Woodcock
08-22-2009, 03:47 AM
I have an 89 prostar 190 and it starts right up cold with choke. havent had that problem yet. Boat is all stock engine wise.

Brandon

JimN
08-22-2009, 09:22 AM
How long does it usually take for you guys to warm the engine up? Whenever I start it up, I have to let it roar at about 2000 rpm for about 3-4 minutes before I can idle it down and put it in gear or it will quit. Does it take you guys that long? Is the automatic choke maybe not working? Does it need a simple adjustment or a rebuild? The carb is an edelbrock which I believe is one that was made by I think wells. Thanks for the help. It's really starting to annoy me. P.S. It also starts hard when it's warm too.

Sounds like the choke needs to be adjusted. If it's not close to being closed when the motor is stone cold (IIRC, it should be open about 3/16" after moving the throttle and the choke snaps shut), it may need a new choke thermostat or adjustment to spec.

Swimmer
08-22-2009, 12:48 PM
My 93 doesn't have the problem when it is cold. Only when it is warm. We are toying with the idea of going to injection next year.

hkallestad
08-22-2009, 05:17 PM
I have manual choke and I don't use it at all, don't need it. It's not normal what you are experiencing.

Matt L.
08-22-2009, 09:52 PM
You need a rebuild or adjustment. Start and go should be the norm.

Later,

Matt

thatsmrmastercraft
08-23-2009, 02:32 AM
You definitely have some issues to deal with. Your choke should be all the way open within 1 minute. You may need a little extra idle speed for the first couple of minutes.....maybe 1200 - 1300 rpm. Start with the basics. How old are your plugs and how do they look? Are you getting too much or too little fuel? Same thing for the dist. cap and rotor. Plug wires too. If you have a vacuum leak from the base gasket of the carb you will experience some of these symptoms.

deereman
08-24-2009, 12:04 AM
I think we pretty much figured out it's an issue with the automatic choke because when it was cold this morning I went down and took the spark arrestor off to look and the choke never even engaged but when I held it almost closed by hand it started right up. We adjusted the idle up a bit to about 700 rpm and it seemed to start a little bit better when warm. What is a normal idle speed for this boat? Ive heard arould 800 rpm but I think that's a little high. Were taking it to the mechanic this week and he is going to fix the automatic choke and give it a tune up so hopefully this will take care of the problem. As for the plugs, I never checked those but the plug wires are pretty new. Well start with the carb and hopefully that fixes the problem and we don't have to go any further. I'll keep you posted on how the carb repair works. Thanks for all your advice.

deereman
08-28-2009, 08:35 PM
heres what was wrong

1. new coil--spark was weak resulting in hard starting when warm

2. auto choke--was badly out of adjustment, as with the rest of the carb, so a carb tune-up was done

3. alternator--was replaced bucause it was only putting out about 12 volts, which we were told was the reason the gauges moved when you turned a switch on, not because of a bad ground.

picking it up tomorrow, so we'll see if this all fixes the problems

thatsmrmastercraft
08-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Good to hear its all basic stuff. Get back out on the water end enjoy.

deereman
08-28-2009, 11:21 PM
only got 2 weeks left before it gets winterized and reupholstered