PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Marathon tire problems

rzafire
05-20-2009, 11:33 PM
I purchased my 07 X45 in March of 08. Since then, most of my towing has been local in Big Bear, 3-5 miles with a max speed of about 45mph. I do like to go to Lake Havasu several times during the summer also. Here lies the problem. On my second trip out last year, less than twenty minutes on the road home, I blow a trailer tire. I would say less than a few thousand miles on the tires from the factory. I was concerned, but it does happen occasionally. Last week as I am returning from Havasu after a great Mothers Day in the son, POW!!! a second tire blows. They are the stock Goodyear Marathon's. Yes I check my pressure, no I didn't hit anything. What gives? Anyone else had these problems? I think I may just replace them all.:confused:

X-5 Driver
05-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Is your trailer level? I was having the same problems years ago when I started using the same tow bar when I threw my camper in the truck. What was once level was now not due to the weight of the camper. I use an 8" drop without the camper and 4" drop with.

rzafire
05-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Yea its level. My first blowout was a front, the second a rear.

Bellinghamster
05-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Yer supposed ta dump the ballast tanks before you trailer it... ;)

ChrisConn Inc.
05-21-2009, 01:02 AM
I to had the same exact problem last year. I also have an x45. First blowout on my way out to Havasu and on my way home I had another blowout. I brought it back to the dealer and they replaced the tire and were supposed to refund my replacement but never did. When I spoke to a tire shop they told me the goodyears are crap and Michelins are much better.

By the way, we probably bought our boat from the same dealer.

Tony

dummy
05-21-2009, 09:28 AM
I agree Michelins are great tires. I've put 'em on every vehicle my wife has owned. However, I don't think they make a trailer tire.

When you say you check the pressure, you're inflating to max pressure COLD, right? Morning is the best time to check since the tires haven't been sitting in the sun all day (or your garage hasn't heated up). I've got over 50K miles towing on a couple different sets of Goodyear Marathons with zero problems. I've never rotated any of them and the tread wear characteristics are far superior to the Carson or Carlisle brands I've run in the past. However, here's the thing: I bought my last set of Marathons back in '06 or '05.

Beginning sometime in '07, Goodyear brought all of its Marathon production over to China and since then I've been hearing more and more reports of blowouts and other catastrophic failures. I think if you're gonna replace them the best thing to do is to hop onto a few RV sites and see what guys are running on their 40-ft toyhaulers 'cause those things pop tires like fireworks on the 4th. I haven't tried them personally, but I hear good things about Titan and Denman. Maxxis also makes some tires, but I've heard of some blowouts on those as well (not sure if the guys were overloading, but knowing them they probably were). I'd also see if you can find a Load Range "D" or "E" in your tire size, as the ones on your trailer may be Load Range "C".

coz
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I purchased my 07 X45 in March of 08. Since then, most of my towing has been local in Big Bear, 3-5 miles with a max speed of about 45mph. I do like to go to Lake Havasu several times during the summer also. Here lies the problem. On my second trip out last year, less than twenty minutes on the road home, I blow a trailer tire. I would say less than a few thousand miles on the tires from the factory. I was concerned, but it does happen occasionally. Last week as I am returning from Havasu after a great Mothers Day in the son, POW!!! a second tire blows. They are the stock Goodyear Marathon's. Yes I check my pressure, no I didn't hit anything. What gives? Anyone else had these problems? I think I may just replace them all.:confused:

You say you use it in Big Bear, I wonder if the altitude drop has anything to do with it when you come down and go up the hill?

scott023
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Google Good Year Marathons and you will find a plethora of bad reviews and issues with them. They are, at best, a marginal tire.

east tx skier
05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I had tread separation with mine after about four years of reasonably light towing. Was told they changed the layup in 05 and were recommending larger tires on trailers. The layup shouldn't be the issue for you. What size tires were they?

rzafire
05-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the info. My local tire guy also said that the marathons are crap. He said the only one worse is carlisle. He did mention the denmans are good and they offer to pay for any trailer damage should you have a blowout.

The marathons are a load C. As far as the altitude with Big Bear, we lose about 4-5 lbs coming off the mountain.
The goodyear rep looked at my tire that blew and just shrugged his shoulders. Won't be buying those again.

The guys over at California Skier tried to help me out but goodyear dropped the ball.

proporjet
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Marathon tire only pre-blowout...I received my ordered tandem trailer several weeks after I purchased an X2 on a single axle trailer. Before taking the boat on the first trip a couple weeks ago, I checked the tire pressure. 2 tires had 72 psi, one had 65 psi and the forth had 28 psi. Yes I checked the pressure with two different guages to make sure. I noticed striations in the tires sidewall the other day. I'm taking the tires to Goodyear today to see what they think. The trailer was brand new off the MC assembly line and pulled from TN to NC. Things that make you go hmmmm.

meg
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
what is the proper tire pressure for 2006 x30 tandem trailer?

rzafire
05-21-2009, 06:22 PM
The pressure is based on the tire which should be matched to the weight of the trailer. My Goodyear marathon soon to be anchors, call for 50psi cold.

BriEOD
05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Lost a Marathon as well. I went with something else.

CantRepeat
05-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I'll check and see what I have now. I purchased them from a Firestone dealer and they are 6 ply trailer tires so I'm feeling pretty good.

BriEOD
05-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Account of my misfortune: thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25882).

Roonie's
05-22-2009, 12:03 AM
If they are Marathon tires then you inflate 10 psi over recommended max for highway travel They issued a bulletin on this found here;

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marathon_gen_info_032806.pdf

I have gone over 5000 highway miles on mine on a single axle trailer under my 07 X2 at 70 + mph without incident yet. I have kept them inflated 10 psi over too...... knock on wood.

bturner2
05-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your tire experiences. Good information on over inflation. Makes sense from a heat build up stand point.

Not trying to defend Goodyear or the tire but I've had these on the last 3 trailers and have never had a bow out. I have to admit I only do short hauls with an annual trip to Norris lake (400 miles) or Northen Michigan (200 plus miles). Any chance you're over loading the trailer with gear and not adjusting the tire preasure accordingly? I know we jam everything possible in the boat for camping and vacations. It's always one of my concerns and try to adjust my average speed based on load. I typically pull no faster than 75 when loaded down and run my tires at max rating when I know I'll be doing extended highway miles.

Still no excuse to have a properly inflated new tire blow or see side wall cracking on a brand new tire.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-22-2009, 08:37 AM
If they are Marathon tires then you inflate 10 psi over recommended max for highway travel They issued a bulletin on this found here;

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marathon_gen_info_032806.pdf

I have gone over 5000 highway miles on mine on a single axle trailer under my 07 X2 at 70 + mph without incident yet. I have kept them inflated 10 psi over too...... knock on wood.

Please be careful on how you are reading the information in the Goodyear letter (I had been misreading it). Although it states to raise the pressure 10psi of the "recommended pressure for the load", it clearly states NOT TO EXCEED the max inflation rate of the tire.

Basically (based on a 65psi cold max tire inflation rating) if your load calls for 50psi you should raise it to 60psi. However, if your load already calls for the 65psi cold you should not raise your pressure. You should restrict your speed to 65mph.

Read it again and let me know what you think.

east tx skier
05-22-2009, 10:47 AM
If you can get the Marathons with the "D" load rating on your trailer, go with those. Requires a larger tire. My current Marathons on a Dorsey trailer are huge by comparison to my old ones. Knock wood, no trouble yet.

TOO-TALL
05-22-2009, 11:11 AM
What ever you do don't buy carlise tires.There junk!!!!

rzafire
05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Clearly there is a lot of problems with the Goodyears. I will be able to relax when I drive if I just replace them with a higher rating. Such a bummer, everything else MC has been perfect.

1970RSZ28
05-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Add another trailer tire blowout to the GoodYear Marathon count. My X-45 was in the shop for a 10 hour service. THAT"S RIGHT!!...ONLY TEN HOURS!!...A BRAND NEW BOAT AND TRAILER!!! It was being towed back from one of my dealers' vendors when the tire let loose on the freeway. I had just mounted the optional spare tire, thank goodness, but it's another GoodYear Marathon. Hopefully the dealer or will do the right thing and cover the tire. Probly with another GoodYear Marathon. SCARY! I bet this tire had less than 500 miles on it. (Yes it was properly inflated)

TOO-TALL
05-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Is this just happening with the X-45's?
I thought goodyear marathon's were top of the line.

Jerseydave
05-24-2009, 08:46 AM
I had to replace 2 Marathons on my X-star trailer last year.
One had a belt seperation, the other had a huge bubble in the sidewall (the side facing in, so get under your trailer and check those sidewalls!)

The Goodyear dealer replaced them at about 1/2 price because of tire tread remaining. If you guys have nearly-new tires with a problem like this it should be a free replacement from Goodyear. (usually 9/32" or more remaining is a free replacement) I use to manage a goodyear shop :mad:

Most importantly, inflate tire cold to the recommended pressure on the sidewall.
Also don't overload your trailer like I did. (I had 500# extra lead ballast in my boat last year)

Sledge
05-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Now I am second guessing my purchase. Like TOO-TALL, I thought the Marathons were a top tire and came highly recommended.

I just purchased new 205/75/14 Marathons last week. I have read a lot about these and people seem to be very concerned with the China made tires. After getting my tires, I immediately checked the DOT code. According to the charts that I have found, the first two digits indicate what plant made the tires, the code on my tires all start with M6 which indicates the plant in Lawton Oklahoma USA.

Another thing to look for in the DOT code is the date of manufacture. Even though you are buying a new tire it could have been sitting on the shelf for years possibly. I have seen recommendations not to use a tire, even if brand new, if the date of manufacture is more than 6 years ago.

Well, I will keep a close eye on the tires before and after each trip and hope for the best. I am particularly concerned because I have a single axle trailer.

WTRSK1R
05-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Please be careful on how you are reading the information in the Goodyear letter (I had been misreading it). Although it states to raise the pressure 10psi of the "recommended pressure for the load", it clearly states NOT TO EXCEED the max inflation rate of the tire.

Basically (based on a 65psi cold max tire inflation rating) if your load calls for 50psi you should raise it to 60psi. However, if your load already calls for the 65psi cold you should not raise your pressure. You should restrict your speed to 65mph.

P-hat, I read that to say that the wheel rating, not tire rating. To me that means its ok to go to 75 psi if your wheel does not have a lower rating even if the tire side wall says max psi is 65. I could be wrong though.

Waketn
05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Its not the tires, its the torsion axle. The torsion axles do not properly equalize the load, thus putting excess load on tires when turning, etc..

mike6275423
05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I had the exact saqme problem i think i blew at least 6 tires I switched to 15 inch wheels and tires and have not had a problem since.

Roonie's
05-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I had to replace 2 Marathons on my X-star trailer last year.
One had a belt seperation, the other had a huge bubble in the sidewall (the side facing in, so get under your trailer and check those sidewalls!)

I have what looks like a lump or bubble in all tires facing out including the never used yet spare. Never thought much of it but am second guessing it now. These are the Marathons but with Load rating D tires.

JohnE
05-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Its not the tires, its the torsion axle. The torsion axles do not properly equalize the load, thus putting excess load on tires when turning, etc..

Interesting. It seems like everyone with the blowout problems on newer trailers are running tandems. I realize there isn't an option for a single on the larger boats. Also the tandems run smaller tires than the singles. I wonder if the smaller tires are somehow inferior.

I've done the Boston - Charlotte run 5 times now with a single axle and had no problems. Knock on wood. And I'll run up to 75 mph for long stretches. And I've done dozens of 150 - 200 mile trips without issue.

damaged442
05-27-2009, 09:18 AM
I am in the process of refurbing my trailer to get it ready for the Northeast Reunion. The 20 year old bias plys have got to go. (I know, I was lucky) I am now looking to get three new rims and tires, making sure not to forget the spare. (single axle trailer) After reading more and more Goodyear Marathon horror stories, I'm not sure which way to go. I'm not going to be trailering for long trips at all. At most, the trailer will see about 500 miles a year. :confused:

JohnE
05-27-2009, 09:24 AM
I am in the process of refurbing my trailer to get it ready for the Northeast Reunion. The 20 year old bias plys have got to go. (I know, I was lucky) I am now looking to get three new rims and tires, making sure not to forget the spare. (single axle trailer) After reading more and more Goodyear Marathon horror stories, I'm not sure which way to go. I'm not going to be trailering for long trips at all. At most, the trailer will see about 500 miles a year. :confused:

Again, I personally have had good luck with the Marathons. WakeTn's post about the torsion axle was enlightening.

TMCNo1
05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Again, I personally have had good luck with the Marathons. WakeTn's post about the torsion axle was enlightening.
I have to think Waketn has a valid point and feel/know his statement is based knowledge of different types of trailer suspension options on the market.
I think it would be neat to know the particulars of the different types of suspensions (Torsion vs Solid & Springs) and how the loads on each type will/could effect tire wear, temperatures, stress, etc.

I have contacted him and asked him to elaborate on the subject.

JohnE
05-27-2009, 11:19 AM
I have to think Waketn has a valid point and feel/know his statement is based knowledge of different types of trailer suspension options on the market.
I think it would be neat to know the particulars of the different types of suspensions (Torsion vs Solid & Springs) and how the loads on each type will/could effect tire wear, temperatures, stress, etc.

I have contacted him and asked him to elaborate on the subject.

I'd like to hear more, too.:cool:

Waketn
05-27-2009, 10:13 PM
The torsion axles do not allow both axles to carry the boat load equally, therefore one axle either the front or rear will carry more weight depending on how much or little tongue weight there is. IE..if there is too much tongue weight the front axles will be supporting more weight than the back. A combination of unproper weight distribution and heat will cause tire to fail. As John E said, notice that all comments about tire failure are on tandem axles not single. Torion axles do ride better, but they do not spread the weight equally between the two axles... On heavy boats I would suggest a leaf spring axle with an equalizer bar. Just my thoughts.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-28-2009, 09:55 AM
notice that all comments about tire failure are on tandem axles not single.

Actually, counting our current boat and former X10, we've had 3 failures of Goodyear Marathons on single axle trailers. On the X10 I noticed a golf ball size bubble on the inside of one (delam?). The location of the bubble was very similar to the blowout pic in the attached thread. On the 205v we were getting unloaded trailer bounce (later found to be a snapped belt), put on the 'spare' Marathon (never been used...was at proper inflation) and it blew within a ~150 miles.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25270&page=2

TMCNo1
05-28-2009, 10:01 AM
The torsion axles do not allow both axles to carry the boat load equally, therefore one axle either the front or rear will carry more weight depending on how much or little tongue weight there is. IE..if there is too much tongue weight the front axles will be supporting more weight than the back. A combination of unproper weight distribution and heat will cause tire to fail. As John E said, notice that all comments about tire failure are on tandem axles not single. Torion axles do ride better, but they do not spread the weight equally between the two axles... On heavy boats I would suggest a leaf spring axle with an equalizer bar. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the info young man, I knew I could count on you!

JohnE
05-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Actually, counting our current boat and former X10, we've had 3 failures of Goodyear Marathons on single axle trailers. On the X10 I noticed a golf ball size bubble on the inside of one (delam?). The location of the bubble was very similar to the blowout pic in the attached thread. On the 205v we were getting unloaded trailer bounce (later found to be a snapped belt), put on the 'spare' Marathon (never been used...was at proper inflation) and it blew within a ~150 miles.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25270&page=2

Paul, was that with tires with the older layup's that Eastie mentioned? '05 and earlier?

They clearly admitted a problem back then. I'd be surprised/ curious if your's were the newer version.

JohnE
05-28-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I'd find it interesting if MC knows this trade off (I assume they do) and still choose the torsion vs. the spring.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Paul, was that with tires with the older layup's that Eastie mentioned? '05 and earlier?

They clearly admitted a problem back then. I'd be surprised/ curious if your's were the newer version.

I'm guessing that would be the case (older versions). I have one of the old ones as my spare. I'll check the dates on the sides of the tires. I know the new ones I put on have different looking sidewalls.

H20BOY
05-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Waketn has made an excellent and accurate point. To add onto this you need to be careful on how you load gear in the boat. If the load is not evenly distributed it can place a tire in an overload situation. This is extremely common in motorhomes.

russlars
05-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Anybody familiar with Towmaster tires? Had a couple blowouts 2 years ago on a trip and that was all the garage had to get me back on the road. Had them change out the other two while they were at it. So far, so good.

dummy
05-28-2009, 12:08 PM
The 215/75-14 Goodyear Marathons on my '00 dual axle MC trailer look original and have some major sidewall cracking, so I'm gonna pony up for some new rubber before I take the boat out this year. Been tweaking over trailer tires on-line like a monkey on caffine and crank for a couple days trying to decide.

FWIW, have narrowed it down to:

Kumho 857 in 205/75-14: 8-ply, 2,271lbs @ 65psi (they're load range D and good to 99mph)

Maxxis M8008 in 215/75-14: 6-ply, 1,870lbs @ 50psi (load range C)

Denman Express in 215/75-14: 6-ply, 1,870 @ 50psi (load range C)

First choice is Mastercraft or Cooper Custom Plus trailer tires, but I can't find 'em in any size other than 225/75-15 and I really don't want to install lift blocks and change rims on my trailer anytime soon.

I'll probably do the Kumhos 'cause I sometimes tow at 75mph on the way to Havasu and temps can get up near 120-degrees on the ride out. The smaller diameter is a bit of a bummer 'cause I hit the prop guard a lot, but I bought a dropped hitch that's 1-inch lower than the one I've been running, so that'll drop the nose of the boat down for towing and raise the prop guard a bit. The 205s spec out at 1/2-inch shorter (give or take) than the 215s, which will only drop the trailer 1/4-inch (radius of tire/wheel combo), so I'm betting it should be fine.

Will update when I finally decide and get 'em installed.

macattack
05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Checking the load inflation chart on the link below, you may be surprised how close you are to maxing out the "load" limits of your tires especially if you do not inflate to the proper or max cold PSI...boat and trailer wt, full tank of gas, gear, etc. Additionally, for all the ST designated tires listed in this chart, they are all rated at 65MPH max unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Also, as it has already been discussed in this thread, you need to check the 27 Mar 06 Goodyear ltr that discusses the variables that allow you to travel above the 65mph restriction. Confused yet:confused:

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/loadinflationtables.html

rzafire
05-28-2009, 09:27 PM
The 215/75-14 Goodyear Marathons on my '00 dual axle MC trailer look original and have some major sidewall cracking, so I'm gonna pony up for some new rubber before I take the boat out this year. Been tweaking over trailer tires on-line like a monkey on caffine and crank for a couple days trying to decide.

FWIW, have narrowed it down to:

Kumho 857 in 205/75-14: 8-ply, 2,271lbs @ 65psi (they're load range D and good to 99mph)

Maxxis M8008 in 215/75-14: 6-ply, 1,870lbs @ 50psi (load range C)

Denman Express in 215/75-14: 6-ply, 1,870 @ 50psi (load range C)

First choice is Mastercraft or Cooper Custom Plus trailer tires, but I can't find 'em in any size other than 225/75-15 and I really don't want to install lift blocks and change rims on my trailer anytime soon.

I'll probably do the Kumhos 'cause I sometimes tow at 75mph on the way to Havasu and temps can get up near 120-degrees on the ride out. The smaller diameter is a bit of a bummer 'cause I hit the prop guard a lot, but I bought a dropped hitch that's 1-inch lower than the one I've been running, so that'll drop the nose of the boat down for towing and raise the prop guard a bit. The 205s spec out at 1/2-inch shorter (give or take) than the 215s, which will only drop the trailer 1/4-inch (radius of tire/wheel combo), so I'm betting it should be fine.

Will update when I finally decide and get 'em installed.

This is good info. I have my tire guy looking for a D load range. That should help a lot.

That's quite a bit different load rating. You would think that MC would have a higher rated tire for a boat as heavy as an X45.

Hrkdrivr
05-29-2009, 04:45 PM
We have an '06 X-45 w/a tandem trailer and just had our first tire problem in two years (Good Year Marathons). The port-side forward tire went flat as I was backing it into the garage after the first trip of the season (what luck, huh?!?). I couldn't see what caused the flat and my air tank was empty so I just threw the spare on and parked it.

I took the tire to work w/me today to hit it with some air and dunk it into a water tank to see if I could find the leak and then discovered a hole in the sidewall (inboard side of the tire) that I hadn't noticed in the dark, being in a hurry to put it away. Looks like I ran over a rock w/a sharp edge and it poked up into the sidewall.

The parking lot at the lake we go to is gravel...and thinking about this a little more, I wonder if had a flat the whole way home and didn't know it??? If so, let's hear it for tandem axle trailers!!

Pics...

rzafire
05-29-2009, 07:17 PM
We have an '06 X-45 w/a tandem trailer and just had our first tire problem in two years (Good Year Marathons). The port-side forward tire went flat as I was backing it into the garage after the first trip of the season (what luck, huh?!?). I couldn't see what caused the flat and my air tank was empty so I just threw the spare on and parked it.

I took the tire to work w/me today to hit it with some air and dunk it into a water tank to see if I could find the leak and then discovered a hole in the sidewall (inboard side of the tire) that I hadn't noticed in the dark, being in a hurry to put it away. Looks like I ran over a rock w/a sharp edge and it poked up into the sidewall.

The parking lot at the lake we go to is gravel...and thinking about this a little more, I wonder if had a flat the whole way home and didn't know it??? If so, let's hear it for tandem axle trailers!!

Pics...

That's some luck there. Mine were both in the m iddle of the desert on a two lane road with big rigs zooming by at 70MPH!!!

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Correcting myself...I interchanged 'wheel' and 'tire'. Wheel being 'rims' and 'tire' being...well, tire.
Wheels have pressure ratings too (not sure what mine are).

So I guess the rule of increasing 10psi above specified level if trailering 66mph to 75mph is correct.

Sorry... :o

dummy
06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Well, I tried to buy them everywhere else first including through my buddy's shop, but the only place I could find the Kumhos was on www.tirerack.com. Price wasn't bad - $436.70 shipped to my door. They're the 205/75R14, load range D. I'll pull the boat out tomorrow and will get some before/after photos with the new tires installed so y'all can see the difference between the 215/75R14 Marathons I've got on there now.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/IMG_4955.jpg

RWB_XSTAR
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Had a new Boatmate Trailer built for my '04 XSTAR this last winter. Trailer about 10 to 15 miles each way at least twice a week and have had no issues with the tires Owen uses/had put on:

Nexen N3000's. Size 255/45/18. Run 48-50PSI. Not sure of the Load Rating

May want to give Owen at Boatmate a call and get his input. I'm sure he gets a lot of feedback on the tires they use considering all the trailers Boatmate builds.

TMCNo1
06-10-2009, 10:54 PM
How could I forget Mastercraft tires, http://www.mastercrafttire.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=mastercraft_tires_light _truck_custom_trailer_plus

rzafire
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, I tried to buy them everywhere else first including through my buddy's shop, but the only place I could find the Kumhos was on www.tirerack.com. Price wasn't bad - $436.70 shipped to my door. They're the 205/75R14, load range D. I'll pull the boat out tomorrow and will get some before/after photos with the new tires installed so y'all can see the difference between the 215/75R14 Marathons I've got on there now.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/IMG_4955.jpg

Curious how much lower the trailer will sit.

I ended up going with the Denman load C. And now I cross my fingers!!!!:steering:

Hrkdrivr
06-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Nexen N3000's.

Those are cool looking tires, but are they trailer-rated tires?

dummy
06-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Those are cool looking tires, but are they trailer-rated tires?

Yes. They're dedicated trailer tires and the only ones I can find with a D load range and speed rating higher than 65mph in a 14-inch rim size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&partnum=0R4857

dummy
06-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Here ya go.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/IMG_4968.jpg
Goodyears

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/IMG_4975.jpg
Kumhos

Static load radius (center hub to ground) - Goodyear: 12.5 inches; Kumho: 12.5 inches

Even though the Kumhos are shorter on paper the sidewalls don't bulge as much, so they have the same static loaded radius as the Goodyears.

ChrisConn Inc.
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Well just got back from lake Havasu today. I had another f...ing blowout! That makes number 3 on this trailer. I have my storage facility check the tires and batteries every trip. The tire took out the back end of my fender this time and I lost my light assembly back there. The boat is only 1 1/2 years old. My last boat I had for 10 years without a single blowout. I have been reading this forum and seen that MasterCraft had acknowledged a tire issue in the past, they better do the right thing here. This last blowout was very scary for my wife. Big rig came by and knocked a large piece of tire back towards me. Had to hobble down the freeway for a 1/2 mile to get to safety. I will contact the dealership today and see how this all plays out. I hope they will do the right thing and replace the remaining tire and fix all my damages.

Tony

dummy
06-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Dude, that sucks. Hopefully they'll take care of you.

I just got into town here in Havasu 'bout 1:00am last night. The new Kumhos ran cool and smooth w/ no problems, although it was night and outside temps were mid-'90s.

TMCNo1
06-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Well just got back from lake Havasu today. I had another f...ing blowout! That makes number 3 on this trailer. I have my storage facility check the tires and batteries every trip. The tire took out the back end of my fender this time and I lost my light assembly back there. The boat is only 1 1/2 years old. My last boat I had for 10 years without a single blowout. I have been reading this forum and seen that MasterCraft had acknowledged a tire issue in the past, they better do the right thing here. This last blowout was very scary for my wife. Big rig came by and knocked a large piece of tire back towards me. Had to hobble down the freeway for a 1/2 mile to get to safety. I will contact the dealership today and see how this all plays out. I hope they will do the right thing and replace the remaining tire and fix all my damages.

Tony

It's never overkill to follow up behind someone else who has supposedly done a service for you, especially with so much in jeopardy just to be sure both of you are on the same page by you knowing what pressures are required and communicating to them the pressures you want the tire to have when they preform the service and not just take their word that they know what they are doing.

I know in previous threads and posts, Goodyear had acknowledged a problem with their Marathons in the past and have apparently remedied it. I know in the automotive sector, it is the tire manufacturer that warranties the tires, not the automobile manufacturer, or dealer, yet the dealers will work on your behalf with the tire manufacturer.
I have asked the question concerning this matter with those at MasterCraft and will post a answer when I hear from them. Thanks for your patience.

Dan_Lorenze
06-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Oh great....... I'm leaving for Havasu on Sunday for 5 days then straight to Big Bear for 5 days with my tandom axle trailer (2006 X30) with Goodyear Marathon's.... I've been running 50psi cold with no problems so far... I guess I'll just expect a blowout this trip... hehe

TMCNo1
06-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Oh great....... I'm leaving for Havasu on Sunday for 5 days then straight to Big Bear for 5 days with my tandom axle trailer (2006 X30) with Goodyear Marathon's.... I've been running 50psi cold with no problems so far... I guess I'll just expect a blowout this trip... hehe
IIRC, in other thread the tire pressures recommended are more than 50 cold, especially for higher speeds above 55 mph.
I think it's somewhere in these threads, http://www.google.com/cse?cx=005775850323706454504%3A8-nmuizykqo&ie=UTF-8&q=tire+pressures&sa=Search

mgurley
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Just bought new Marathons for my trailer...

/fingers crossed

ChrisConn Inc.
06-26-2009, 02:04 AM
It's never overkill to follow up behind someone else who has supposedly done a service for you, especially with so much in jeopardy just to be sure both of you are on the same page by you knowing what pressures are required and communicating to them the pressures you want the tire to have when they preform the service and not just take their word that they know what they are doing.

I know in previous threads and posts, Goodyear had acknowledged a problem with their Marathons in the past and have apparently remedied it. I know in the automotive sector, it is the tire manufacturer that warranties the tires, not the automobile manufacturer, or dealer, yet the dealers will work on your behalf with the tire manufacturer.
I have asked the question concerning this matter with those at MasterCraft and will post a answer when I hear from them. Thanks for your patience.

You are absolutely right about double checking. I made sure that the tires were inflated properly before we left this trip. After the other two blowouts, I double check before we hit the road.

I understand about the tire manufacturer warrantying their tires, but since this seems to be somewhat of a common occurrence; shouldn't MasterCraft use heavier duty tires with the larger boats? I can understand a blowout once or even twice, but three times in less then a year and a half?

Thank you, for your concern about my problem and please do let me know what you hear. I'm supposed to drop off the boat at the dealership next week when they have room for me.

Tony

Dan_Lorenze
06-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Well, I'm headed out this morning, I'm gonna go with 54psi cold... :)

bturner2
06-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm leaving for vacation in about 3 hours and am getting ready to check the tire pressure also. Plan to run them at 55psi cold.

One thing I was wondering about (and this may have already been answered) was about balancing. I've always had my trailer tires balanced and noticed that they usually take quite a bit of weight. I've had several people tell me this isn't necessary on trailers but find this hard to believe. I've been running Marathons on all my trailers for over 10 years and have never had a blow out (add the sound of me knocking on wood here) but have always ran near max tire pressure and with balanced tires. I also live in Michigan so we don't get the extreme heat as those out west. Just wonder if the balancing is adding to my success with these tires.

bigmac
06-28-2009, 09:00 AM

I think that tandem axles CAN provide exactly equal weight on both axles regardless of tongue weight, but drop-height on the hitch is critical. An inch too high, and you have more weight on the rear tires. Inch too low and it's on the front tires. The trailer can look nice and level, as the manual recommends, but still be off relative to weight distribution on the two axles. Long haul in hot temps with relatively crappy tires = perfect storm for tire failure.

I can't think of any practical way to measure individual axle weights...I guess if it were me I'd have to resort to trial and error. If it's the same axle for each blowout, I'd assume I have too much weight on that axle and I'd go buy another drop hitch to raise or lower the tongue height depending on the axle.

I think axle weight is independant of tongue weight, except that if you look at the level-ness of the trailer with the boat unloaded, then add gasoline and gear, that may increase or decrease tongue weight, thereby changing hitch height, to the point that it could un-level the trailer and change axle weight disribution.

The other consideration that may be useful, especially for long hauls in hot temps, is filling the tires with nitrogen instead of air. Less heat-related expansion.

mgurley
06-29-2009, 09:00 AM
I went with 55psi (nitrogen) cold...but I didn't have them balanced...

ChrisConn Inc.
06-29-2009, 10:16 AM
I went with 55psi (nitrogen) cold...but I didn't have them balanced...

Where do I get nitrogen to fill up the tires? Can you also explain why this is better than just air?

Thanks
Tony

dummy
06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Where do I get nitrogen to fill up the tires? Can you also explain why this is better than just air?

Thanks
Tony

It's not as susceptible to increases in pressure caused by temperature fluctuations. Most high-end cars come with nitrogen in the tires like Acuras, Audi, etc. Most tire shops can handle it, but it costs a little more money because they have to buy the nitrogen in tanks. You can tell a vehicle is running nitrogen if the valvestem caps are green.

H20BOY
06-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks
Tony

Nitrogen molecules are larger than air, thus slowing the permeation through the rubber. Also it takes longer for the temperature to rise in the tire.

mgurley
06-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Thanks
Tony

We use it in racecar tires for the reasons stated above...thats where I got it.

Ditto on the tire retailers having it...I also think I remember someone saying Costco had it.

H20BOY
06-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I can't think of any practical way to measure individual axle weights...I guess if it were me I'd have to resort to trial and error. If it's the same axle for each blowout, I'd assume I have too much weight on that axle and I'd go buy another drop hitch to raise or lower the tongue height depending on the axle.

You can pull your trailer to any truck stop and pull on the CAT scale. Pull each axle on a different weight plate to get individual axle weights.

bigmac
06-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Nitrogen has less expansion and contraction in response to temperature variations, partly due to the nature of nitrogen and partly due to less water vapor. IMHO, its value is when dealing with temperature extremes. I note that in the winter, the tire pressure alarms were going off on my wife's vehicle every time the temps got much below zero. Hasn't happened since switching to nitrogen. Likewise my current truck came from the factory with nitrogen (green air valve caps).

It's not a cure-all, but it does help a little.

As to where to get it -- call around to tire stores, including WalMart, Costco, etc. And most GM dealers have it too.

TMCNo1
06-29-2009, 11:26 AM

ChrisConn Inc.
I just talked to MC Customer Service and the trailer tires on a new boat are warrantied for a period of one year from date of purchase through MasterCraft and it's dealer network and after that they are warrantied on a pro-rated basis through the tire manufacturer and their dealer network.

TMCNo1
06-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Well, I'm headed out this morning, I'm gonna go with 54psi cold... :)

I'm leaving for vacation in about 3 hours and am getting ready to check the tire pressure also. Plan to run them at 55psi cold.

One thing I was wondering about (and this may have already been answered) was about balancing. I've always had my trailer tires balanced and noticed that they usually take quite a bit of weight. I've had several people tell me this isn't necessary on trailers but find this hard to believe. I've been running Marathons on all my trailers for over 10 years and have never had a blow out (add the sound of me knocking on wood here) but have always ran near max tire pressure and with balanced tires. I also live in Michigan so we don't get the extreme heat as those out west. Just wonder if the balancing is adding to my success with these tires.

This pdf from Goodyear may give some insight into proper tire pressures for your driving habits,

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf (http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marathon_gen_info_032806.pdf)
· Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed restricted to 65 MPH under normal inflation and load conditions unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the sidewall of the tire.

· Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.
o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the
maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.
o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the
maximum load of the tire.

ChrisConn Inc.
06-29-2009, 07:32 PM
ChrisConn Inc.
I just talked to MC Customer Service and the trailer tires on a new boat are warrantied for a period of one year from date of purchase through MasterCraft and it's dealer network and after that they are warrantied on a pro-rated basis through the tire manufacturer and their dealer network.

Thank you for finding out the policy for me. I will let my dealer deal with MC for me, I had the other two tires blowout last year and it was well under one year so they replaced them. This tire that blew out is from the original set, I'm convinced I have a bad batch of tires. Plus the tire took out my fender and I'm expecting them to take care of that. It would be nice if they also replace the tire that has not blown yet, but I know that will never happen. I'll end up doing it myself for peace of mind.

Tony

Sledge
07-01-2009, 12:38 AM
For what it's worth:

As I mentioned in my post on 5-24, I just purchased new 205/75/14 Marathons for my single axle trailer. I made two 55 mile round trips to the lake we normally ski on with no issues. Last weekend I made a 594 mile round trip, also with no issues (knocking on wood). I made sure that the cold pressure was at 50 (max.) and checked tires at each stop. I forgot the temp gun, but by feel the tires were warm but not hot. I looked at the sidewalls when we got home and found nothing abnormal.

Keeping my fingers crossed.............

JohnE
07-01-2009, 09:04 AM
For what it's worth:

As I mentioned in my post on 5-24, I just purchased new 205/75/14 Marathons for my single axle trailer. I made two 55 mile round trips to the lake we normally ski on with no issues. Last weekend I made a 594 mile round trip, also with no issues (knocking on wood). I made sure that the cold pressure was at 50 (max.) and checked tires at each stop. I forgot the temp gun, but by feel the tires were warm but not hot. I looked at the sidewalls when we got home and found nothing abnormal.

Keeping my fingers crossed.............

I think proper inflation is 55 psi not 50 (from memory) if you don't exceed 65 mph. And you add 10 psi if you are going to travel above 65 mph.

I've done 5, 1800 mile round trips to Charlotte with my single axle without an issue. And I would run at 75 mph for long portions of the trip. I inflate to 60 psi. 65 psi just sort of "scares" me. And I do 300 mile round trips numerous times during the year.

Sledge
07-01-2009, 10:13 AM
I think proper inflation is 55 psi not 50 (from memory) if you don't exceed 65 mph. And you add 10 psi if you are going to travel above 65 mph.

I've done 5, 1800 mile round trips to Charlotte with my single axle without an issue. And I would run at 75 mph for long portions of the trip. I inflate to 60 psi. 65 psi just sort of "scares" me. And I do 300 mile round trips numerous times during the year.

Ok, curiosity got to me and I ran out to the garage in the rain. My tires show max. pressure of 50 psi.

I have seen people post regarding the add 10 psi when towing over 65mph but there seems to be some debate on actually inflating over the stated max pressure. I tried to keep close to 65mph, although found myself pushing things a bit.

Sodar
07-01-2009, 10:23 AM

dummy
07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Here ya go.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/IMG_4975.jpg
Kumhos

Static load radius (center hub to ground) - 215 Goodyear: 12.5 inches; 205 Kumho: 12.5 inches

Even though the Kumhos are shorter on paper the sidewalls don't bulge as much, so they have the same static loaded radius as the Goodyears.

Towed the boat home from Havasu yesterday in 115-degree heat at about 65mph the whole way. With the pressure at 60psi cold the new Kumhos ran cooler than the 285/75R17s on the diesel. FWIW I'm happy with 'em.

bigmac
07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Nitrogen molecules are larger than air, thus slowing the permeation through the rubber. Also it takes longer for the temperature to rise in the tire.Yeh, the permeation thing is true, but the net effect on pressure loss is pretty negligible since air is already 79% nitrogen. OTOH, the 21% oxygen and the water vapor that's part of the air we put in our tires does result in a pressure increase that's out of proportion to that 79/21 composition in hot temps. However, even this really only becomes a big deal when we're talking temperature extremes. I think nitrogen-filled tires could be important in pulling a heavy boat across the desert, but I doubt it's THAT important in less extreme environments.

JohnE
07-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Ok, curiosity got to me and I ran out to the garage in the rain. My tires show max. pressure of 50 psi.

I have seen people post regarding the add 10 psi when towing over 65mph but there seems to be some debate on actually inflating over the stated max pressure. I tried to keep close to 65mph, although found myself pushing things a bit.

OK, I finally had a chance to go check my tires. I had thought all this time that the max rating was 55 psi. The writing is really small, but it actually says max 65 psi. So all this time I have not been running 10 psi over the max rating like I thought I had been.:o

Regardless, with all these long trips under my belt and no issues, I'm not changing anything.

Sledge
07-04-2009, 05:06 PM
JohnE,

What size tires are you running and what load range?

JohnE
07-05-2009, 09:02 AM
JohnE,

What size tires are you running and what load range?

15" Goodyear Marathons that came on my factory '08 trailer. I'll go check the load range in a bit.

Edit: Load range D.

ChrisConn Inc.
07-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeh, the permeation thing is true, but the net effect on pressure loss is pretty negligible since air is already 79% nitrogen. OTOH, the 21% oxygen and the water vapor that's part of the air we put in our tires does result in a pressure increase that's out of proportion to that 79/21 composition in hot temps. However, even this really only becomes a big deal when we're talking temperature extremes. I think nitrogen-filled tires could be important in pulling a heavy boat across the desert, but I doubt it's THAT important in less extreme environments.

Good God, you guys are way above my pay grade! Great info though, at least the part that I could understand. So, my take is nitrogen is good for extreme conditions such as desert driving and not necessary for normal conditions? Since all the lakes I go to are in the desert, Ill be getting some nitrogen.

Thanks guys,
Tony

TMCNo1
07-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Good God, you guys are way above my pay grade! Great info though, at least the part that I could understand. So, my take is nitrogen is good for extreme conditions such as desert driving and not necessary for normal conditions? Since all the lakes I go to are in the desert, Ill be getting some nitrogen.

Thanks guys,
Tony

And don't forget the nitrogen enriched Shell gasoline Kevin Harvick advertises too!:rolleyes::D

Dan_Lorenze
07-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Yep... Sure enough, I had a blow out on my way out to Havasu.. Tweaked the plate, lights and have some fender damage.. I went 70mph for 10 seconds on a downhill and Bam! I really can blame the old Marathon tires, they were going on 4 years old and had small cracks around where the tread met the sidewall.. Serisouly, if anything it looks as if I had too much PSI in there. 54psi cold had them really hard in the 115 degree temp, the sidewalls themselves looked pretty good.... Thanks to this thread I was totally waiting for a blowout and had all my stuff waiting in the belly box of my RV.. Took 15mins max, felt like I was on the Sun.... :) Actually, I saw a lot of trailer blow outs on the I40...

rzafire
07-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Yep... Sure enough, I had a blow out on my way out to Havasu.. Tweaked the plate, lights and have some fender damage.. I went 70mph for 10 seconds on a downhill and Bam! I really can blame the old Marathon tires, they were going on 4 years old and had small cracks around where the tread met the sidewall.. Serisouly, if anything it looks as if I had too much PSI in there. 54psi cold had them really hard in the 115 degree temp, the sidewalls themselves looked pretty good.... Thanks to this thread I was totally waiting for a blowout and had all my stuff waiting in the belly box of my RV.. Took 15mins max, felt like I was on the Sun.... :) Actually, I saw a lot of trailer blow outs on the I40...
Sorry to hear that. Glad you were prepared though. I have another friend who also came home last week and just missed a blow out. He pulled in the driveway to se a large bubble in the side wall.
I too watch my mirrors super close now.

Dan_Lorenze
07-06-2009, 03:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Dan_Lorenze/Blowout.jpg?t=1246909096

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Some of you may remember that I had a blowout on a never used GY Marathon spare that I just put on 100 miles earlier (M_03 picture below) because the other tire had a broken belt (confirmed by GY store).

The 2 new Goodyear Marathons I bought were '08s and had a different sidewall design (M_08 picture below). Since my spare was the only 'good' remaining '03 and there was a design change, I figured I would replace it with the new design. Fastforward...

I pick up the spare from the tire shop and it look identical to my '03, but it is an '09 (M_09 picture below). I start asking why? (I want my tires to be a matched set). The guy calls his Goodyear supplier and tells him I have '08 China tires that look different from my '09 USA tires. The Goodyear guy tells him...GULP...the '08 China tire is something that Goodyear tried for a short period of time. It didn't work out for them, so the latest design is the '09.

GREAT!!! Is he saying my '08 China's I bought last year are 'suspect'!?!? :confused:

I have emailed Goodyear to get an explanation, but I suspect I will not get full disclosure. I'll post back any findings.

Pictures:
M_03
M_08
M_09

Hrkdrivr
08-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Blew out returning home from a family reunion. Temp was about 93 degrees F, boat was empty except about a half tank of gas (~45 gal), I had checked the tire pressures in the morning right before leaving (they were at the max listed on the sidewalls, can't remember the number) and I was driving at 65 mph (and had never been faster). This was after about 2 hrs of driving.

Looks like I'll be replacing my Goodyears w/some Kuhmos like dummy; I can't/won't put up with this any more.

The dang thing is, the Marathons ain't cheap, plus now I have to replace the marker and backup lights on the right side. Maybe it's time for some LEDs on the trailer...sigh.

Miss Rita
08-10-2009, 08:20 AM
I've read a lot about Marathon problems on the Trailer Boats forum. The problems with Marathons seem to be widespread, as the travel trailer forums cite similar complaints.

My new-to-me 1989 TriStar was 700 miles away before I bought it. It has Goodrich CLM ST bias tires, which could easily be the OEM tires, size F78-14 (when's the last time you saw that tire size?). The owner towed it here at 65-70 mph, and the boat arrived safely. It's an interesting contrast to the Marathon saga.

BTW, they're going to that big tire recycling plant in the sky today.

acornellier
08-10-2009, 01:30 PM
As a insurance adjuster,I have seen alot of wrecked vehicles when towing a trailer at the highway speed limits either from a blow out or loosing control.I always stay at 45mph or lower.People behind me don't like it sometimes but thats my investment behind my truck.I can't see doing over 45mph when towing something,it's not necessary.That my opinion.

RexDog1
08-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Well I will chime in now that I had a blowout yesterday coming back from the river; yes it is a Goodyear Marathon 2 year old?? Right tire pressure checked it before I left the river house 50 miles into the trip home BOOOMM it was 105`out… the boat is always kept indoors and has about 1000 miles on the tires?? I have never seen a sidewall like this tire?? Time to look into 5 new tires……. (Not Goodyear Marathons) It is a tandem trailer, it is level when I tow …. I got lucky no damage to the boat or trailer when it blow……. maybe they call them Marathon because they are only good for 26.2 miles ???????

H20BOY
08-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Some of you may remember that I had a blowout on a never used GY Marathon spare that I just put on 100 miles earlier (M_03 picture below) because the other tire had a broken belt (confirmed by GY store).

The 2 new Goodyear Marathons I bought were '08s and had a different sidewall design (M_08 picture below). Since my spare was the only 'good' remaining '03 and there was a design change, I figured I would replace it with the new design. Fastforward...

I pick up the spare from the tire shop and it look identical to my '03, but it is an '09 (M_09 picture below). I start asking why? (I want my tires to be a matched set). The guy calls his Goodyear supplier and tells him I have '08 China tires that look different from my '09 USA tires. The Goodyear guy tells him...GULP...the '08 China tire is something that Goodyear tried for a short period of time. It didn't work out for them, so the latest design is the '09.

GREAT!!! Is he saying my '08 China's I bought last year are 'suspect'!?!? :confused:

I have emailed Goodyear to get an explanation, but I suspect I will not get full disclosure. I'll post back any findings.

Phat, your tire that blew out appears to be what is know as "air infiltration". Meaning, the air in the tire found a way out of the innerliner. Air will migrate through the tire to the weakest spot, ie sidewall. The air separates the component of the tire as it passes through. A bubble is formed on the side wall and when the rubber can not expand anymore...POP! You end up with the starburst shape you are left with. Look for a nail in the tire or a cut in the bead area. This is very common when beads are damaged in mounting. Being an older tire I would lean more towards the nail.

The reason for my explanation is that this appears different than the underinflation/overload conditions several have experience.

dummy
08-11-2009, 01:04 AM
maybe they call them Marathon because they are only good for 26.2 miles ???????[/COLOR]

That's killer. :purplaugh

Sodar
08-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Pictures:
M_03
M_08
M_09

That is damn interesting. I have the older newer style (with the Scuff Guard) and thought I was conveniently out of the woods with the issue. I trailer ALOT and have not yet had a failure, but I am guessing that the lighter weight of the 197 (compared to the larger boats that have had issues) and the fact that I trailer so much has actually helped the issue (not sitting in the same position with flat spots)... at least my fingers are crossed. If I had to guess, I would estimate my trailer mileage to be up in the 12-15,000 mile range without a failure, but even with the good luck, I am going to be replacing my tires next year. From all that I have read and heard, everyone recommends that trailer tires be changed every 3 years... some say every year. The way I see it, with the cost to repair fiberglass fenders, trailer lights and the anxiety of worrying about a blowout, I can easily justify the $350 for new tires every few years.

acornellier
08-21-2009, 02:33 PM
After reading and looking at the pictures on a recent thread,I am now concern.I called Goodyear.They said to have the tires inspected by a authorized Goodyear dealer,which I plan on doing.They also told me there are no recalls or silent recalls.I explained to them about the recent problems that some of you have experienced.I recommend all of use to call Goodyear and maybe they will look into the problems.The number I called is 1-800-321-2136.prompt #1 and #6.Also I think Mastercraft should also look into this problem.:twocents:

Ric
08-21-2009, 04:05 PM
After reading and looking at the pictures on a recent thread,I am now concern.I called Goodyear.They said to have the tires inspected by a authorized Goodyear dealer,which I plan on doing.They also told me there are no recalls or silent recalls.I explained to them about the recent problems that some of you have experienced.I recommend all of use to call Goodyear and maybe they will look into the problems.The number I called is 1-800-321-2136.prompt #1 and #6.Also I think Mastercraft should also look into this problem.:twocents:

There is a skier in the house with some experience on this matter.. I hear he has some legal background

Thrall
08-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I've read these threads before and thought I had a good set of Marathons.....4 years and probably 15k miles on my tandem trailer pulling a 190 (so they're not even running close to capacity).
Last night, 5 mi from home, tread completely came off of one tire, like a bad re-cap on a semi. Sawed off the flap of tire that was still hanging on and limped it home.
I will keep posted if I get any help with a new tire. This sucks because I'm selling the boat and thought I could tell everyone the tires were good tires! :mad:

JohnE
08-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Sorry to hear about all these stories.

I keep wondering about what was posted a while back about the thought that the torsion axle is to blame on tandems. It will be interesting to see if anyone has blowouts with a tandem and another tire brand. I'm not wishing that for sure, but am wondering if the tires are not to blame.

Waketn
08-23-2009, 12:17 PM
john e you hit it on the head. It is not the tires....It is the torsion axles, they do not equalize pressure of the load onto both tires. notice that this is not happening on single axles. I have a never had a problem with my goodyears, but i have leaf springs with a load equalizer, these are my thoughts..

JohnE
08-23-2009, 12:32 PM
john e you hit it on the head. It is not the tires....It is the torsion axles, they do not equalize pressure of the load onto both tires. notice that this is not happening on single axles. I have a never had a problem with my goodyears, but i have leaf springs with a load equalizer, these are my thoughts..

Do you think the problem will still take place with another brand tire?

Thrall
08-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Posted in the other thread, just lost a Marathon, whole thread delaminated and no torsion axles, plus, it's a 190...could carry the boat on 2 tires and still be within capacity.

ROB
08-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Three years tops with trailer tires, then they're gone. It doesn't matter how much tread you have left. I believe the most important elements are speed, load, and inflation. Even, towing to Lake Powell, I won't go over 60mph. Let the big rigs fly by me at 75, it's ok. A couple of pounds under max inflation cold, and I'm good to go. Just my recipe.

JohnE
08-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Posted in the other thread, just lost a Marathon, whole thread delaminated and no torsion axles, plus, it's a 190...could carry the boat on 2 tires and still be within capacity.

What year are the tires? I know that there were some issues with bad lay ups prior to '05. Got any pics of the rig?

BTW, sorry to hear about your incident.

Thrall
08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
What year are the tires? I know that there were some issues with bad lay ups prior to '05. Got any pics of the rig?

BTW, sorry to hear about your incident.

Thanks John. Thought it didn't do any damage, but this morning I found the light wires ripped out, brake line broke off and the top of the fender ground down real thin, flexes like a mofo now :mad:.

Bought the tires in Jan/Feb 05. Going to look into when they were made.

If you're asking about boat pics, there's a few in the Marketplace. Add should now read "real nice boat, kinda nice trailer, tires may not get you out of the subdivision".

The tires never seem to heat up. Always checking them and the hubs on long road trips.
Not sure why they'd break down faster than car tires, but road trips with this trailer, it's usually 80-85mph all day long......I dunno.:confused:

Thrall
08-24-2009, 12:36 AM
I almost don't believe this.........good a place as any to announce that I bought a new boat today! Got an '06 X2 WoooHoooooo!!
So the guy is delivering it from Las Vegas. Calls me this afternoon about 2 hrs from the house. He delaminated a tire.:mad::mad: No spare, but I knew this when I made the deal.
Wonderful Goodyear Marathons. Tread came off. Cracked the shiz out of the gelcoat on the fender and put a couple good chips in the fender gel. Oh and one of the oil bath hubs started leaking!:mad: This trailer can't have but 2-3000miles on it!
So I cruised out with 2 spares. Put the spare from my sled trailer on it, since it is NOT a Goodyear and brought another off my Prostar trailer just in case.
***, all the tires on an 06 trailer are cracked right around the outside of the tread. Would like to think I could get some sort of warranty on the tires, but I don't want Goodyears on the boat. They've effed up 2 fenders and a brake line in the last 24hrs for me!

east tx skier
08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
There is a skier in the house with some experience on this matter.. I hear he has some legal background

I just called a GY dealer and got replacements. I never investigated further. I was on the road at the time and didn't have time for the process to wind its way to a favorable conclusion. The pictures of my tire are in the thread called "The Last Waltz (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19105)."

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Pictures:
M_03
M_08
M_09

Goodyear did call me back soon after I put the email into them. She said that they still make both versions of tires (pics that are in quoted post) and you just have to order the correct product #. She said the info I was given about the discontinued China versions is inaccurate and stated that all tires are tested to US specs. I'm really not sure I expected any other type answer, but I wish I would have known there were multiple product codes. Maybe I'll call a Goodyear store to see if I can order the China tire still.

Oh...she did also suggest taking the tires to a Goodyear store for inspection.

I towed to and from Norris Lake at 70psi cold and sure to be under weight capacity with no issues...this time! 8p

Thrall
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I would estimate my trailer mileage to be up in the 12-15,000 mile range without a failure,

That's what I was saying until about 9pm Sat night!:rolleyes:

So what's the general consensus? We all have GY marathons that appear to be rolling road hazards.
Who makes the best tires? I'm thinking about going w/ the $60 tires. I got a sled trailer that has some hard miles on it, 8yrs old, never been in the garage, usually loaded to capacity and the tire treads are about gone, no flats....yet.
Anyone found a 215-75-14 or close in size with a greater load rating than 1800-1900lbs.

Jonathan94
08-25-2009, 01:55 AM
I would estimate my trailer mileage to be up in the 12-15,000 mile range without a failure,

That's what I was saying until about 9pm Sat night!:rolleyes:

So what's the general consensus? We all have GY marathons that appear to be rolling road hazards.
Who makes the best tires? I'm thinking about going w/ the $60 tires. I got a sled trailer that has some hard miles on it, 8yrs old, never been in the garage, usually loaded to capacity and the tire treads are about gone, no flats....yet.
[B]Anyone found a 215-75-14 or close in size with a greater load rating than 1800-1900lbs.

I have just completed about 2500km with these tires I put onto my single axle (2000 X5) earlier this summer.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857

No problems and I really like the 65psi capacity of the D rating instead of the 50psi of the old 6 ply Marathons. The 27" overall diameter of the 205/14 wass very close to the diameter of the 215/75R14 they replaced. They have a capacity of 2271lbs each.

rzafire
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
I have finally been able to relax on the road again, since going away from the dreaded goodyear marathons. I have the denman's and love them. So far so good!!

rzafire
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Check the thread Tire Trouble. Ton of info on the Marathons!

Tom023
08-25-2009, 02:24 PM
After this weekend I have to retire another Goodyear Marathon. Although mine are 8 years old, in the past two years I've either caught an early stage separation or broken belt inside the tire, twice. The tire becomes distorted in one spot where the tread bulges at the center, almost like you would expect to see from severe over inflation, and is slightly twisted. I used to swear by Marathons, now I'm headed to another brand.

Thrall
08-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks Jonathon. I'll look into the Kumho's. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Jonathan94
08-25-2009, 05:00 PM
No problem but the thanks should actually go to Dummy - he pointed them out to me originally.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=30323

Jerseydave
08-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Sorry to hear about all these stories.

I keep wondering about what was posted a while back about the thought that the torsion axle is to blame on tandems. It will be interesting to see if anyone has blowouts with a tandem and another tire brand. I'm not wishing that for sure, but am wondering if the tires are not to blame.

JohnE, I doubt the torsion axle are to blame. More like a bad run of 14" Marathons since the single axle trailers all have 15" tires. My 3 tires were indeed defects.

JohnE
08-26-2009, 08:39 AM
JohnE, I doubt the torsion axle are to blame. More like a bad run of 14" Marathons since the single axle trailers all have 15" tires. My 3 tires were indeed defects.

Dave, I originally suggested that the problems were with the tandems and was thinking tire size. But WakeTN works for a trailer mfg iirc and knows an awful lot about mc from past experience. If he says the issue is the torsion axle, I'm believing it. Add to that the older Marathons that were a bad layup allegedly.

MariStar-Man
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Here's some info, in case you need to find out how old your tires are. Not when purchased becasue they could have been sittng for a number of years before you bought them...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/TireSafety/ridesonit/images/callouts.jpg

Click on the Following link for entire Brochure...:)
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/TireSafety/ridesonit/brochure.html

Waketn
08-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Dave, I originally suggested that the problems were with the tandems and was thinking tire size. But WakeTN works for a trailer mfg iirc and knows an awful lot about mc from past experience. If he says the issue is the torsion axle, I'm believing it. Add to that the older Marathons that were a bad layup allegedly.

I can tell you what I have been informed from veterans of the trailer industry. The torsion axles putt extra stess on the tires, when you add in heat and a heavy load (example an X-45 ) tires can fail since they are being overloaded. And yes as john E stated i know an little about MC from past experience.;) I still can smell the fiberglass!

MariStar-Man
08-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I still can smell the fiberglass!

That sends an eary chill down my spine... :confused:

TMCNo1
08-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I still can smell the fiberglass!

That sends an eary chill down my spine... :confused:
I know what he means, we haven't been to the factory in a couple years, so occasionally I just drill a hole in the boat to remember the smell!
Rumor has it it takes a while for it to exit your system and he is still peeing resin and passing fiberglass fragments.

Diesel
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
It's just something I have come to expect. I usually have a casualtiy every 4-5 years then replace them both. All 4 lifetime blowouts have been on the interstate at 70mph+. Luckly I have steel fenders and never any damage. Just replace both tires last month after I lost one on I40 heading to Ouachita.

JohnE
08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Diesel, are you running Marathon's? Torsion axle? Just curious.

TOO-TALL
09-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Well its time for me to buy new trailer tires.Last trip I noticed the tread looked funny on one tire. Took a closer look and there is buldge in the tread.Yes they are Goodyear marathons,but they are 6 years old so its time.So I guess my question is what tire to get?
Marathons or I was looking online at the Kumho's 857.
I'm leaning towards the Kumho's

MariStar-Man
09-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I was looking online at the Kumho's 857.
I'm leaning towards the Kumho's

ST215 /75 R14 Load C Are the size on my trailer.

I searched Tire Rack and only came up withthe Goodyear Marathon's in my size...

Are you thinking about going with the Kumho 205/R14 857?

I would go with the Kumho for all the reason's you listed >>>>>Here<<<<< (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857)

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_radial_857_ci2_l.jpghttp://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_radial_857_ci1_l.jpghttp://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_radial_857_ci3_l.jpg

TMCNo1
09-06-2009, 08:47 AM

I would go with the Kumho for all the reason's you listed >>>>>Here<<<<< (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857)

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_radial_857_ci2_l.jpghttp://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_radial_857_ci1_l.jpghttp://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_radial_857_ci3_l.jpg

Are they all season radials for use in mud and snow?:rolleyes:

MariStar-Man
09-06-2009, 09:07 AM
They don't say anything about Mud or Snow. I guess they figure if the Towing Vehicle can't drive thru it, the Trailer will follow...

Hey Harold, isn't this your first Boat?

http://www.funpeak.com/funnypics/funny-boat-cart.jpg

TOO-TALL
09-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Yup that's them.They are 205's which is abit narrower then the Marathon's,but I think they will be fine.

Thrall
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm looking hard at the Kumho 857's load range D as well.

Just lost another tire due to tread separation yesterday on the '06.:mad: Good news is, I was only going about 40mph and the tread never slapped the fender!:D (The other fender is all cracked now)
The tires on the '06 are made in '05. On a Good note Big O has gotten Goodyear to warranty all 4 tires for me, pro rated down to $28/ea for new Marathons!

One thing I noticed about the torsion tandem trailers is that the axles do not operate independently like the old leaf springs.....and I've lost both front tires now. My hitch was set up to hold the trailer level, but after loading up for camping this weekend, the front was about 2" lower than the rear and it appeared that the fronts were carrying more weight (tires flexing a little more). Like SOdar said earlier, I think it's imperative to have the trailer perfectly level for even wight distribution front to rear on the tires.

jdl xstar
10-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Anyone have experience with Hercules tires?

FancySauceRules
10-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Like SOdar said earlier, I think it's imperative to have the trailer perfectly level for even wight distribution front to rear on the tires.

In my new range rover's manual there's a whole section dedicated to towing with a tandem trailer and potential tire issues. Kind of interseting, not sure why more companies don't do that.

Thrall
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
In my new range rover's manual there's a whole section dedicated to towing with a tandem trailer and potential tire issues. Kind of interseting, not sure why more companies don't do that.

Probably because that chapter would cost the mfr's another $10/vehicle. If you're plopping down $60k on a Range Rover, they can include that feature at no add'l charge!

It's partly related to the cr@ppy Marathons, but moreso to the torsion axles, I think. The torsion axles are very stiff on my X2 trailer. Alot more trailer bounce than the 190 with leaf springs. This puts more stress on the tires to cushion each bump in the road. And again, the torsion axles don't equalize the load between axles like the leaf springs do, which causes 1 axle to be loaded heavier if the trailer is not sitting perfectly level. (There's no flex in those axles. You can jack up 1 wheel and the other comes up at the same time).
Between equipping them with Marathons, torsion axles, not lubeing the brake bolts/hardware, no loctite on the trailer bunk bolts, oil bath leakers and mounting the jack too high where you can't get it to hook onto a level hitch, I think MC has slipped bigtime in their trailer design/quality.:mad:
I've had more trouble with my '06 MC trailer in one month of ownership/operation than any other trailer I've ever owned, and this is by far the newest/lowest mile trailer I've had.
My problems pale by comparison to some of you guys (whole brake overhauls while you're on the road, etc), but it's cr@p that a trailer built to haul a $40k-$80k boat is so shoddy.
And while I'm at it, what's up with the paint/powdercoat? I mean, my Dodge has a cheap/thin paint job, but that '06 trailer with a couple thousand miles on it looks like it got towed down a gravel road for 100k miles! Paint's chipped everywhere!
Now I feel better!

FancySauceRules
10-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Dude, paint job on my trailer is just piss poor. I thought maybe I just got the shaft. Chips and rust after a little more than a year and 1k miles.

Thrall
11-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Dude, paint job on my trailer is just piss poor. I thought maybe I just got the shaft. Chips and rust after a little more than a year and 1k miles.

Yup, join the club. I'm confident that my trailer has noticably more chips now than when I bought it this summer. I've towed it maybe 1000mi, probably less and only about 10mi of that was on gravel roads AND I have big oversized mud flaps on my truck so it ain't kickin up many rocks with the flaps and half bald summer tires.:mad:
Just thinking, you know what? It's rained almost every time I've had it on the road. Maybe the water's chipping the paint! :rolleyes:

jdl xstar
11-24-2009, 10:14 AM
What is a concensus recommendation for a jack? A standard car jack isn't close to being powerful enough to lift the boat, so would a roll up thing be the way to go?

trickskier
11-24-2009, 10:28 AM
What is a concensus recommendation for a jack? A standard car jack isn't close to being powerful enough to lift the boat, so would a roll up thing be the way to go?

I think a small bottle jack would be the best scenario.

jdl xstar
11-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Something like this? :

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200304827_200304827

Thrall
11-24-2009, 10:40 AM

A roll up ramp would work well for torsion axles because both wheels come up anyway when you jack up one axle. I'd think the scissor jack or mech bottle jack in your truck/suv would be fine too. I've changed a couple tires with the jack in my Dodge truck no problem. Used the scissor jack in my old Chevy p/u to pull it out of the mud once. Truck was so buried that by the time the tires broke free from the mud, I'd re-arched the rear leaf springs, permanently! That's more weight/pressure than jacking up the side of the boat trailer, unless you're rollin' an X80!

With the torsion axles, you could get by with 2 or 3 pieces of 2x lumber stacked up. Don't have to get the wheel far off teh pavement befoer the other one comes up too. Nothing like the leaf spring trailer axles.

trickskier
11-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Something like this? :

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200304827_200304827

Yes, but check the height of the jack to make sure that it will fit under the axle ---- With a flat tire!

jdl xstar
11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Thrall, trick- thanks for the suggestions. I think i get a bottle jack. they are less expensive than i expected. Thanks for pointing out the height issue of a bottle jack. that would've been an easy oversight! I'll look for a "stumpy" one.

TOO-TALL
06-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Got these today in the mail.
Kumhos 857...D rating in 14 inch.
Going to have them mounted tommorow.

Thrall
06-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Niiice. Those are the ones I'm going for next time I need boat or sled trailer tires. Can't believe there's only 1 D rated 14" tire available.

rspiecha
06-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I just installed 5 Kumho's 857 on 5 new shiney chrome rims. If you look at the specs, the Kumho are just a smidge taller than the 215 marathons, and only slightly narrower. Since they are D rated, they don't squish down either as much as the Marathons. So far, I like them alot.

Rob

Matt L.
06-08-2010, 05:06 PM
KHUMO: (See the bottom "CN" = Made in China, and to think I was getting excited that there might be a quality trailer tire out there.

205/R14
Load Index 109 = 2271lbs (1030kg) per tire
Load Index 107 = 2149lbs ( 975kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Q” = 99mph (160kph) 109/107Q D Trailer Use Only Not required for
this tire.None 2271 lbs.
65 psi
10/32"
29lbs. 5.5-6.5"
5.5"
8.2"
5.7"
27"
Country of Origin "CN" = CHINACN

gimmemoedmb
06-09-2010, 09:44 AM
I put the Kumhos on mine about a month ago as well. One of my marathons was starting to separate badly and would've gone at any time but luckily I saw before that happened. After I got the Kumhos I noticed the marathon on the other side was just starting to separate as well so I replaced them just in time. I've only put 80 miles or so on my Kumhos but I love them so far. After reading all of the horror stories about the marathons and almost experiencing it myself, the Kumhos just give me so much more piece of mind. I'm not constantly staring in my mirrors waiting for them to go like I was with the marathons. Time will tell if they will hold up but as of now I'm happy.

MariStar-Man
06-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Product Service Bulletin

Important Information To Better Service Your Customers
Post For Ready Reference
March 6, 2006
PSB #2006-06

TO: Goodyear Company Owned Outlets
Goodyear Contract Dealers
Subject: Marathon Special Trailer Applications - General Information
Goodyear Marathon tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and
branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires.
This bulletin is designed to help you obtain the best performance from tires with the ST (Special Trailer)
designation. Please review the following important points with your Goodyear Marathon customers.

• Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed restricted to 65 MPH under
normal inflation and load conditions unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the sidewall of
the tire.

• Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph,
it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the
load.
o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the
maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.
o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the
maximum load of the tire.

• Drivers should always obey posted speed limits and reduce speeds when necessary based on vehicle,
road, weather or traffic conditions.

• Trailers tires should be operated at inflation pressures that are specified by the trailer manufacturer.
The trailer manufacturer’s inflation information can usually be found in the owner’s manual, tire
information placard or vehicle certification label, usually located on the forward left side of the trailer.

• Cold inflation pressures should be checked every morning during trips and monthly while in storage.
THE GOODYEAR TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY
PRODUCT SERVICE DEPARTMENT
Page 2 of 2

• Vehicles or trailers should not be overloaded. The tire information placard, vehicle certification labels or
owner’s manual should be checked for the maximum recommended load.
Vehicle speed, load and inflation pressures, all of which are within control of the driver, are critical factors
for the safe and enjoyable operation of any vehicle.
Important tire care information and the load / inflation tables are available on Goodyear’s Recreational
Vehicle web site at www.goodyear.com/rv, or by ordering the Recreational Vehicle Tire and Care Guide,
product code 700-862-911-55600.

MariStar-Man
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Has anyone tried these guys for Boat Specific Applications? >>Here<< (http://www.boattrailertires.com/)

http://www.boattrailertires.com/media/slideshow/boat.jpg

And some more to choose from

..>>here<< (http://www.easternmarine.com/Trailer-Tires-Only-RADIAL/)

http://imageserv8.team-logic.com/store-logic/categories/5/798/554.jpg

bobx1
06-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Check this out:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35972

Hrkdrivr
06-19-2010, 10:51 PM
And this:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36205

deminimis
07-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Utter garbage. Had two blow within 10 miles of each other. Destroyed one fender. Tread was better than 90%, not that is a great guide. No cracks, missing chunks, or anything that would suggest a problem (other than the words "Goodyear" printed on the side). My advice is get rid of them before you are spending more by replacing a fender. These were blowouts at approx 60mph and only 40mph on the second.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Well my good year marathons finally gave up the ghost, my right front has decided to seperate and now has a bubble. As you can see there is plenty of tread left, guess its time to replace all four tires...

thatsmrmastercraft
02-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Well my good year marathons finally gave up the ghost, my right front has decided to seperate and now has a bubble. As you can see there is plenty of tread left, guess its time to replace all four tires...

Yikes.:eek:

Jerseydave
02-20-2012, 08:25 PM
typical belt separation.
What month and year were the tires made? Look at the DOT number on the sidewall near the bead. The last 3 numbers tell you month and year. Also where were they made? I think my defects were from mexico but don't quote me on that.

I know they had a run of bad ones for a certain time period. If under 5 years old you may be able to get them pro-rated at a Goodyear dealer. Got 2 of mine for 1/2 price.

trickskier
02-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Side wall seperation - I had two blowouts last year. I'll NEVER buy another Goodyear Marathon tire again!!! I wouldn't even put one on my garbage cans!!!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-20-2012, 08:28 PM
typical belt separation.
What month and year were the tires made? Look at the DOT number on the sidewall near the bead. The last 3 numbers tell you month and year. Also where were they made? I think my defects were from mexico but don't quote me on that.

I know they had a run of bad ones for a certain time period. If under 5 years old you may be able to get them pro-rated at a Goodyear dealer. Got 2 of mine for 1/2 price.

they are definatly older than 5 years old, prolly closer to 10 years on those, i can check the dot and country of origin tomorrow...

trickskier
02-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Failed to mention that both blowouts occured at 70MPH on the interstate in the left lane! :eek3:

ski/hunt
02-20-2012, 08:35 PM
typical belt separation.

I wouldnt take one for FREE!!! as for that you couldn't get me to run one if you gave me 100$ each to use them!! They are JUNK!!
As for this "bad batch" therory that's a load of crap!! Unless you consider that batch being every one that's been made!! I learned this around 10 years ago so this "Bad batch" go's back a long way....when I got our boat the spare was brand new marathon---in the trash it went!!! I wouldn't even give it away, it went where it belongs!! The land fill ---I don't know anyone I hate enough to give them a POS tire like that!!

ski/hunt
02-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Side wall seperation - I had two blowouts last year. I'll NEVER buy another Goodyear Marathon tire again!!! I wouldn't even put one on my garbage cans!!!

Ohh you could put it "on the trash can" to be picked up and taken to the dump!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Anything more than 5 years on a trailer tire is living on borrowed time. I know plenty of people who run them longer, but I don't live a charmed life, so I know my limits.

trickskier
02-20-2012, 08:39 PM
I wouldnt take one for FREE!!! as for that you couldn't get me to run one if you gave me 100$ each to use them!! They are JUNK!!
As for this "bad batch" therory that's a load of crap!! Unless you consider that batch being every one that's been made!! I learned this around 10 years ago so this "Bad batch" go's back a long way....when I got our boat the spare was brand new marathon---in the trash it went!!! I wouldn't even give it away, it went where it belongs!! The land fill ---I don't know anyone I hate enough to give them a POS tire like that!!

I agree - Why replace JUNK with the same JUNK???

trickskier
02-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Ohh you could put it "on the trash can" to be picked up and taken to the dump!!!

They won't take tires - Had to pay Discount Tires $4 for environmental fee! :mad:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Anything more than 5 years on a trailer tire is living on borrowed time. I know plenty of people who run them longer, but I don't live a charmed life, so I know my limits.

Yeah I know but it's just one of those things.:rolleyes: When I bought the boat and trailer in 2009 it still had the nibs on the tread, I drove it home from Dallas to Houston and its about a 1.5 mile trek through the neighborhood to the ramp. 10 yrs old with about 500 miles on them, I believe it's trailers in general, my car trailer never wears out the tread but I replace them about every 5 yrs or so because they begin to breakdown, uv light is terrible on rubber.

mikeg205
02-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Yeah I know but it's just one of those things.:rolleyes: When I bought the boat and trailer in 2009 it still had the nibs on the tread, I drove it home from Dallas to Houston and its about a 1.5 mile trek through the neighborhood to the ramp. 10 yrs old with about 500 miles on them, I believe it's trailers in general, my car trailer never wears out the tread but I replace them about every 5 yrs or so because they begin to breakdown, uv light is terrible on rubber.

+1 on the replacement time...most manufacturers warranty is thread depth or 6 years. I tld a friend who was driving from Chicago to Kentucky Lakes with 10 year old tires to get new tires...he refuses (he's a Rinker owner :) ) .... on the way down blew both tires...first one blew - put spare on.. then the other one blew. Luckily no damage to boat or trailer or anything else, but the needed new rims and tires and a lift to and from the middle of nowhere...what should have cost about $250... cost almost $500. And he still needs a new spare.

JohnE
02-21-2012, 06:58 AM

Rick do you have a single or tandem?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-21-2012, 09:08 AM
typical belt separation.

My tires were made 20th week of 2002, & made in Canada.

TeamAllen
02-25-2013, 12:02 PM
I just wanted to add my thanks to this thread. I put on a new set of Komho Tires on the trailer last season after reading all of the tire information packed into this thread. Looking forward to another successful, tire problem free season.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
I am not aware of Goodyear being able to put together a pattern of the defective tires by manufacturing facility or time. This problem has been going on for years. I know several Goodyear dealers that refuse to sell marathons to their customers.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-25-2013, 12:14 PM
I just wanted to add my thanks to this thread. I put on a new set of Komho Tires on the trailer last season after reading all of the tire information packed into this thread. Looking forward to another successful, tire problem free season.

Few things worse than mirror-watching for that inevitable blowout. A couple tires go a long way for peace of mind.

mikeg205
02-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Few things worse than mirror-watching for that inevitable blowout. A couple tires go a long way for peace of mind.

++1 ^^^ :)

thatsmrmastercraft
02-25-2013, 12:55 PM
++1 ^^^ :)

And just when you start to think that you will make it without tire problems, then the sh!t hits the fan.:steering: :eek3: :rant: