PDA

View Full Version : I think I tore it up

Jaysonsmith
06-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Three weeks ago on my first outing of the year with my 98 prostar 205 with the LT-1 engine I got caught in a thunderstrom and we went fast looking for a dock to duck into. Upon finding one I made some real fast manuevers and I think I rammed it into reverse or forward a little too quick and spun the tranny or something. Anyway I took it out today and as soon as I slid off the trailer it was difficult to get it into forward gear. It went but it was stiff and didn't feel right. After it warmed up it wasn't as bad and I checked the fluid and it was fine. No burnig smell and the level was good. After running at medium speed for about 20 minutes I anchored and sat for about 2 hours. When we left the shifting was fine, however; we were running at about 3000 rpm and only going about 15 mph. I was a bit freaked and the boat didn't seem to be responding normally. as we headed on back to the ramp things were better but it still didn't feel right.

Any ideas? Did I rip the tranny, is the prop slipping?

One thing, after we trailered the boat I checked the prop and it seemed tight. I was, however; able to turn the prop and shaft with my hand. Is this normal. Any ideas?

Ben
06-05-2005, 09:56 PM
It is normal to be able to spin the prop on the trailer, as long as you are spinning the shaft with it....

Don't know any more about the trans. question.

east tx skier
06-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Probably not your problem, but when I had an incompetent mechanic (not a tournament inboard mechanic dealer) look at my boat, they crimped the metal jacket around the throttle cable causing difficulty moving throttle into forward gear. Can't imagine that this is the issue with you, but since it's kind of slow in here today, figured I'd at least mention it and bump your question back to the top.

milkmania
06-05-2005, 10:51 PM
(not a tournament inboard mechanic dealer)

...he shoots, he scores!!! good save:headbang:

seriously though, maybe the cable is binding somewhere:confused:
that won't explain the 3000 rpm @ 15 mph though

Jaysonsmith
06-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks y'all. I decided to drain and refill the Hurth Transmission. It is the 1:1 type and the manual reads 1.5 - 2 qt's of dexron II I got about 1 2/3 out and refilled with 2 qt's dexron III. I had put in the Dexron III a month ago when I de-winterized. I don't know. Maybe I was just low on fluid. Any new ideas or thoughts?

east tx skier
06-07-2005, 11:38 AM
...he shoots, he scores!!! good save:headbang:

I only have one tournament inboard dealer locally. It's not a MC dealer. That parenthetical was more to clarify that they didn't jack up my boat as opposed to MC. But probably good to note that it wasn't an MC dealer either.

Jaysonsmith
06-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Basically, I spazzed. It appears my Tach is sticky and reading high (it didn't sound like 3000 rpm) and I was a little low on Tran fluid. All is well now. Thanks