PDA

View Full Version : Just bad luck........

Tanski
08-20-2009, 05:07 PM
So this year I bought my dream boat. 09-X2. I had a good year up to the point where the second time I put it in the water I hit a rock backing the boat off of the trailer. I was with someone that had docked there for years and has never seen that happen. Water's murky(typical alberta lake), and lower level then recent years. Pull the boat out of the water to find out the prop was totally messed up. There's the weekend and the next two. Two weeks in the shop(insuranced covered) and I got the boat back just in time to head to BC for a couple weeks on the Shuswaps and Kootney lakes(AWESOME job by the dealer). Little did I know the truck I just bought(for towing reasons) blew the transmission on the way back home. Three weeks later I get that back(under warranty) and I'm back at it. A week after we go camping to another smaller Alberta lake. I have been very timid about where to go since my first encounter with a nice pice of stone, so I pull the boat in and make it out to the lake where it's 32C out, sunny and the water is glass. We find ourselves a spot and a buddy hops in to do some boarding. We travel back and forth about 20 times, with different riders, having a blast. My gf hops in and start up again. On her third pass, in about 10' of water everyone hears a loud BANG, and the boat starts shaking. We get a tow to the dock and yes....again I hit something. Worse damage than before. I've been boating for over a decade and I can't even comprehend what has happened. I have 30 hrs on my boat. I feel ripped right off from life from these stupid circumstances. I'm taking this thing in to get fixed, warranty work for stitching, and winterize it. I hope to Christ that next year is a whole lot better.

flipper
08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Hang in there, it will get better

scott023
08-20-2009, 06:22 PM
So this year I bought my dream boat. 09-X2. I had a good year up to the point where the second time I put it in the water I hit a rock backing the boat off of the trailer. I was with someone that had docked there for years and has never seen that happen. Water's murky(typical alberta lake), and lower level then recent years. Pull the boat out of the water to find out the prop was totally messed up. There's the weekend and the next two. Two weeks in the shop(insuranced covered) and I got the boat back just in time to head to BC for a couple weeks on the Shuswaps and Kootney lakes(AWESOME job by the dealer). Little did I know the truck I just bought(for towing reasons) blew the transmission on the way back home. Three weeks later I get that back(under warranty) and I'm back at it. A week after we go camping to another smaller Alberta lake. I have been very timid about where to go since my first encounter with a nice pice of stone, so I pull the boat in and make it out to the lake where it's 32C out, sunny and the water is glass. We find ourselves a spot and a buddy hops in to do some boarding. We travel back and forth about 20 times, with different riders, having a blast. My gf hops in and start up again. On her third pass, in about 10' of water everyone hears a loud BANG, and the boat starts shaking. We get a tow to the dock and yes....again I hit something. Worse damage than before. I've been boating for over a decade and I can't even comprehend what has happened. I have 30 hrs on my boat. I feel ripped right off from life from these stupid circumstances. I'm taking this thing in to get fixed, warranty work for stitching, and winterize it. I hope to Christ that next year is a whole lot better.

Tanski, where are you in Alberta?

SkiDog
08-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Tanski, where are you in Alberta?

Is it already time to winterize up there? Damn, move south! Our water is still 86 degrees! on second thought, stay there, we got enough yankees swatting out gnats!

mlay
08-20-2009, 10:38 PM
From some of the pics lately on the swimsuit thread of the girls up there I would access that you are just distracted and not paying attention. :D

Grover777
08-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Poor run of luck......dont get crazy and winterize just yet. With the luck you are having they would mess that up and you will have a cracked block come spring..

hang in there!

snork
08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Winter already, that sucks. sorry to hear about the prop

2RLAKE
08-20-2009, 11:00 PM
sorry about the luck ... i have 150 hours already .. .head south to Tennessee for a weekend with us

scott023
08-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Don't know what's up with this dude, but there is still plenty of time left in our season. At least 5 weeks.

Tanski
08-21-2009, 11:51 AM
There's a good 5 weeks, I just had enough. By the time the boat gets done there'll be 2 maybe 3 weeks left.Taking it down next weekend. I'll be taking most of next summer off to head back to BC. Luck has got to change sometime. Just going to relax for the next little bit.

I'll be posting some pics of "the distraction" sometime.

I'm up in Fort Mac. Travel's killing me!!8p

Kevin&Annie
08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Serenity now!

Thumbs
08-22-2009, 11:36 PM
I had my share too. When I got under the boat the other day for an inspection/get acquainted look, I found two spots with damaged gelcoat. The lakes around here are connected by a shallow river. We made one trip to the restaurant at the far end of the chain of lakes. I was in the water at least twice guiding the boat - after running aground into the sand/shells (at no-wake speed, thankfully). I learned two things from that outing. One- I'll never take my boat up there again. Two - gelcoat repair is easy.

Hopefully things will turn around for you soon.

Best of luck!

Jonathan94
08-25-2009, 02:12 AM
I am at a lake in Northern Alberta (Skeleton Lake - Tanski you go past it on hwy 63 by Boyle) and this past weekend it was down to +4C at night. Still skiing with just shorts and rashguard but the water is definately colder than the Shuswaps a week ago! The weather there sucked though and it cost me a prop also - first one in 6 years.

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Sorry for the run of horrible luck, I think its time for a spare prop so all you lose is 30 min. next time.

Tanski
08-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Little bit more than the prop. Both times there was over $6000 in damage.

I can't believe how cold it's getting at night now! I'm hoping the weather stays relatively nice so I can get the boat back for one last go around!

Tom023
08-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Don't they say these things come in threes? So maybe you're past your spell. I've been boating on the same lake for 9 years and never hit anything until two weekends ago I hit a stump in 15 feet and had to change the prop. This weekend I hit two stumps, or maybe the same one twice. Luckily I didn't suffer the damage you did, but hang in there.

Thrall
08-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Don't they say these things come in threes? So maybe you're past your spell. I've been boating on the same lake for 9 years and never hit anything until two weekends ago I hit a stump in 15 feet and had to change the prop. This weekend I hit two stumps, or maybe the same one twice. Luckily I didn't suffer the damage you did, but hang in there.

I think you just jinxed him! He's only hit 2 things!

FWIW, got really lucky at Table rock lake this yr. Back in a cove where noone was, doing some boarding, 15-30' of water. Clipped the top of a tree, but it was with the hull. Just put a smudge on it that was gone by the end of the week.