PDA

View Full Version : Predator 310HP conversion to MCX

shamco
08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
We have a 2004 X-9 with the 310HP motor. I would like more performance. Is it possible to modify the 310HP to perform like the MCX. Is it as simple as exchanging the intake manifold or is there alot more differences? Anybody done this before?

Ryan
08-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Oh the fun you could have with this project! I don't know the specific diff's between the engines, but you could upgrad the top half with new heads, cams etc and get the MCX intake for some performance, but more for the look. There are a ton of hop-up kits out there for this engine.

Your easiest solution is to get a lower pitched prop if you want better performance out of the hole- as long as you're willing to lose some top end speed.

east tx skier
08-18-2009, 09:19 PM
If you just want more grunt, upgrade to the 1.52:1 power slot of old.

JimN
08-18-2009, 09:23 PM
We have a 2004 X-9 with the 310HP motor. I would like more performance. Is it possible to modify the 310HP to perform like the MCX. Is it as simple as exchanging the intake manifold or is there alot more differences? Anybody done this before?

That intake manifold is about as good as it gets for TBI and we discussed it at pretty good length when I was at MC training. It was designed by a friend of Alan's and they had it on the flow bench before they went ahead with using it in production. It flows really well for a smooth power/torque curve as well as a bump in the low end. It's not a go-fast boat or motor and if you want a go-fast boat, you'll need to get something different. These aren't made for speed.

djhuff
08-19-2009, 03:39 PM
With that new of a boat, wouldn't it require some reprogramming of the ECM to see any kind of real gains?

You could get a little out of it if you could get it to breathe better, but there is not much restriction on there to begin with. Anything else you do will need to re map the ECM, which from what I understand, isn't nearly as easy on a boat as it is with a car.

JimN
08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
With that new of a boat, wouldn't it require some reprogramming of the ECM to see any kind of real gains?

You could get a little out of it if you could get it to breathe better, but there is not much restriction on there to begin with. Anything else you do will need to re map the ECM, which from what I understand, isn't nearly as easy on a boat as it is with a car.

Yes- changing the motor to MCX will require a recal. If it's changed exactly to MCX spec, the same program would be used for the MCX version of that boat.

Jim@BAWS
08-19-2009, 04:07 PM
We had an EARLY 2004 MCX w/ the OLD type exhaust manifolds. MC warrantied them out. Upgraded to the NEW Aluminum tuned. They made a difference. We have also done the same to an LT-1 with the aluminum. That maybe a starting point for you

Jim@BAWS