PDA

View Full Version : Non Bias News Sites

mlay
08-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Hope this goes over well, I know we have many opinions on here but here goes.
Personally I watch FOX news, I believe the far left of this to be MSNBC. Has anyone found anything in between. FOX news is really along the lines of what I support and believe but still I think there has to be a site somewhere that debates both sides constantly. Hannity and Colmes use to do that but that partnership is over.
I live outside Atlanta and quit watching any form of local news 4-5 years ago. Those news channels turned into complete jokes years ago.

JimN
08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Good luck to ya. We haven't had an unbiased media in a long time- it's now just editorial.

If you find something, let us know, OK?

mlay
08-18-2009, 06:03 PM
I have heard they are suppose to be better on some internet sites rather than tv but have not found anyone that can suggest me to one.

Ryan
08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
I get most of my news from HLN in the morning, CNN.com to Reuters.com to BBC.com during the day, and the Wall Street Journal (they have the most news I care about) when I have time to read it. I am a republican, and I watch the Daily Show all the time, so take it for what it's worth.

I have a hard time watching much cable news beyond HLN. CNN my only other choice of the big 3, more middle ground, if a little bend to the left, but certainly no MSNBC. And although I like their twitter feed, I can't stand how much they incorporate viewer tweets in their program. I get my bumbling nonsense need fulfilled here on TeamTalk - at least here it's intermixed with fun stuff, some smart comments here & there and some really good people.

TMCNo1
08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I only watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report with Stephen Colbert, the only real news out there!

shepherd
08-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I only watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report with Stephen Colbert, the only real news out there!

Daily Show is awesome, though a little left-leaning.

Really, IMO HLN seems more middle of the road. Hell, they only have 30 minutes to report the news What a concept -- so '70s. But, I think it helps to keep the BS level to a minimum. And that Robin chick is kind of hot and seems reasonably intelligent.

daverbeck
08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Another fan of the Daily Show. It may be "Fake News" but seems more objective than most. They seem to ripping on Obama almost as much as Bush. Though I have to confess that I am an acknowledged bleeding heart liberal.

stuartmcnair
08-19-2009, 11:10 AM
when making a decision you need to remember there is a difference between news and commentary...independent groups have researched various news organizations and found FOX news to be the most balanced. That is for news content though. Commentary obviously leans to the right. MSNBC is far left in commentary and left slanted in news presentation. CNN slightly left in news presentation and left in commentary. Headline news is pretty balanced in news but has some left leaning commentary.

east tx skier
08-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I missed this thread earlier. I'm not party affiliated and am completely annoyed by bias in the media in either direction. I don't think there's much in the way of 100% unbiased news reporting out there, particularly in TV land.

The one source I often remember that is supposedly "maddeningly unbiased" is the Christian Science Monitor. More world news type stuff. Upon a recommendation some time ago I read it a few times and don't recall it being anything but pretty solid reporting. The name obviously makes you think it would have a religious slant, but I've never gotten that impression from the news articles (I think I read that the print version had one article pertaining to their religion per paper, but apart from that it was straight news. I'm a Methodist, so I probably didn't read any of those. Just not my bag).

I think it's web only now. I need to remember to check it out to see if I'm completely off base on this recommendation. If I am, sorry. Just throwing another link out there.

captain planet
08-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I get most of my news from one place. NPR.

coz
08-19-2009, 11:29 AM

What about here #1? http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/05/religion.israelandthepalestinians

Tomsinamerica
08-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Maybe I'm a little partial to all things British but I find the BBC pretty good. It may have more international content than most US based news organizations but there is also a section specific to America.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/ or http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/default.stm

TMCNo1
08-19-2009, 11:35 AM

The rest of my news comes from the internet, cause it's all true and unbiased!:rolleyes:

Craig
08-19-2009, 11:46 AM
I would think if you are actually interested in the news you should stop watching the TV and start reading it. Every time I turn on any of the major networks it is all commentary from the peanut gallery regardless of the station. I personally do not like people to tell me how I should feel so I cannot stand watching most of these programs even if I agree with a lot of things they say.

Try BBC, NPR, or Christian Science Monitor. Even then, you should try and sift through to avoid the opinions/editorial articles.

FWIW, I am a Christian, registered republican, who voted for Obama, and consider myself a centerist who leans to the right slightly.

JimN
08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
when making a decision you need to remember there is a difference between news and commentary...independent groups have researched various news organizations and found FOX news to be the most balanced. That is for news content though. Commentary obviously leans to the right. MSNBC is far left in commentary and left slanted in news presentation. CNN slightly left in news presentation and left in commentary. Headline news is pretty balanced in news but has some left leaning commentary.

Who made sure these independent groups are actually independent, hmmm? You, Lt. Weinberg?

east tx skier
08-19-2009, 12:55 PM
That's Rich, Jack, er uh, Jim.

stuartmcnair
08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Who made sure these independent groups are actually independent, hmmm? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Rupert Murdoch founded them to be independent...

daverbeck
08-19-2009, 01:34 PM
While I like the Daily Show for "Fake News" and entertainment (especially the shots they take at the 24 hr news networks) I also prefer NPR for real news. I also find the BBC to be way better than any of the US mainstream news organizations (whether they be right or left leaning).

east tx skier
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Whoever is the archivist is for the Daily Show must be well paid. No matter what someone says, nine times out of ten, they can dig up video of that person saying the exact opposite.

x-10ron
08-19-2009, 03:02 PM
i like fox news, Shepard Smith around the world in 60 min is pretty bias imo. But Camball Brown on CNN is a milf!!!

JimN
08-19-2009, 03:47 PM
That's Rich, Jack, er uh, Jim.

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/xfcvkktfjy--Obsessive

shepherd
08-19-2009, 04:11 PM
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/xfcvkktfjy--Obsessive

This is totally off topic, but did you listen to the new Miami Dolphins Fight Song???? 8p
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/qwywxldjyk--T-Pain's-New-Miami-Dolphins-Fight-Song

I guess they'll really kick butt this year! :uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Jorski
08-19-2009, 07:16 PM
and found FOX news to be the most balanced

My sides hurt from laughing at that one!8p

They are about as "balanced" as Rush Limbaugh on 3 day oxycontin binge!

mlay
08-19-2009, 08:22 PM
I get most of my news from HLN in the morning, CNN.com to Reuters.com to BBC.com during the day, and the Wall Street Journal (they have the most news I care about) when I have time to read it. I am a republican, and I watch the Daily Show all the time, so take it for what it's worth.

I have a hard time watching much cable news beyond HLN. CNN my only other choice of the big 3, more middle ground, if a little bend to the left, but certainly no MSNBC. And although I like their twitter feed, I can't stand how much they incorporate viewer tweets in their program. I get my bumbling nonsense need fulfilled here on TeamTalk - at least here it's intermixed with fun stuff, some smart comments here & there and some really good people.

Have to say I have been checking all these suggestions out and I can make some time in the am for HLN's Robin Meade :D

JimN
08-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Too bad Contessa Brewer is on MSNBC. She looks better in person, too. Gotta be at least 6' tall.

captain planet
08-20-2009, 09:19 AM
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-august-19-2009/fox-news--the-new-liberals

:rolleyes:

shepherd
08-20-2009, 09:49 AM
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-august-19-2009/fox-news--the-new-liberals

:rolleyes:

I saw that. Funny. 8p
I love to see them humiliate Fox News, but it is starting to get old. It's starting to look a little vindictive. If they picked on someone else every once in a while, they would maybe appear a little less biased?

captain planet
08-20-2009, 09:58 AM
I saw that. Funny. 8p
I love to see them humiliate Fox News, but it is starting to get old. It's starting to look a little vindictive. If they picked on someone else every once in a while, they would maybe appear a little less biased?

If the horse is on the ground, and it ain't dead....keep kicking the shart out of it!!! 8p

Faux News is despicable, hypocritical, and as slanted as they get. Kick em', keep kicking em', and never stop kicking em' I say. :mad:

shepherd
08-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Faux News is despicable, hypocritical, and as slanted as they get. Kick em', keep kicking em', and never stop kicking em' I say. :mad:

:D
Can't argue with that!

SkiDog
08-20-2009, 10:44 AM
My sides hurt from laughing at that one!8p

They are about as "balanced" as Rush Limbaugh on 3 day oxycontin binge!

And I'm sure that you think that Keith Oberman and Rachal Maddow are the worlds greatest! Well, I agree, they are............................................... ................................The worlds greatest IDIOTS! Somebody should shoot Keith oberman! What a dick!

TMCNo1
08-20-2009, 08:14 PM
The Ant and the Grasshopperhttp://f337.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f14545%5fAMfJjkQAAPkZSo3kSwhb%2fwK q%2fiI&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

Two Different Versions! Two, Different Morals!

OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer
long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances
and plays the summer away.
Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.

The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the
cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long,
building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances
and plays the summer away.
Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference
and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well
fed while others are cold and starving.

CBS, NBC , PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the
shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home
with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor
grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and
everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant 's
house where the news stations film the group singing, 'We shall
overcome.' Jesse then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the
grasshopper's sake.

Nancy Pelosi & John Kerry exclaim in an interview with Larry
King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and
both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair
share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper
Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.

The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of
green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his
home is confiscated by the government.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last
bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just
happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he
doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow.

The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the
house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize
the once peaceful neighborhood.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be VERY careful how you vote in 2010

shepherd
08-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Great. Now I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

Ryan
08-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Anyone else listen to NPR? I like it in the morning on the way to work - especially the business news. I know some find it a little left, but I think it's very balanced.

Monte
08-20-2009, 11:39 PM
NPR is WAY left, but I do listen on occasion

92 190 PS
08-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Completely balanced and the best place to get news...:rolleyes:

http://www.drudgereport.com/

OK...Best place to get news, maybe it's a little right leaning.8p

JimN
08-21-2009, 09:07 AM
America's finest news source.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/white_house_reveals_obama_is?utm_source=a-section

This one actually happened, too.

http://www.theonion.com/content/amvo/milwaukee_mayor_beaten_with_pipe

Ric
08-21-2009, 11:24 AM
The best place to get your news is here on Team Talk. Way better than skifly, wakeworld, nichols or some of those other crazy boards

flipper
08-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I go to the darkside for all my news

TX.X-30 fan
08-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I get most of my news from one place. NPR.

I just threw-up on my keyboard. :D I have listened to NPR and to think our tax dollars contribute to that lunacy is a crime.

TX.X-30 fan
08-24-2009, 03:12 PM
If the horse is on the ground, and it ain't dead....keep kicking the shart out of it!!! 8p

Why is it always #1??

east tx skier
08-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Why is it always #1??

Why do so many people drink Budweiser? :o :rolleyes:

JimN
08-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Why do so many people drink Budweiser? :o :rolleyes:

Stoopid?:D

east tx skier
08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Stoopid?:D

Stuff was probably pretty good 100 years ago. I just tapped a Classic American Pils/Preprohibition Lager last night. Still a bit young, but has every bit the character of a continental pils even with the lighter body. Shame those (now) big foreign owned macroswillers moved away from something that was uniquely American and high quality for something so overmarketed and watered down.

You know, that started off as a threadjack. But reading it in context, I'd say it resonates.

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Unbiased beer talk.

east tx skier
08-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Unbiased beer talk.

I don't think I'm capable. :)

If it ages well, I may have to figure out a way to get you a bottle of the C.A.P.

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 10:09 AM
I would love to drink 1 or 6

east tx skier
08-25-2009, 10:32 AM
It's pretty strong stuff. It has a very slight hot alcohol aftertaste that should subside with age. I had two pints last night and could certainly feel it. Decided to pull out my latest ebay purchase. The result was 0.09. Tossed my keys on the hook and got some work done around the house. Best $19 I've spent in a while.